Miranda - Series 2 Page 21

That's a lot of fat women.

A recommission is just a formality, isn't it?

Quote: Mark W @ December 21 2010, 10:35 PM GMT

One would hope so. But give them time to work on the next series I say, don't rush them.

Quote: Marc P @ December 21 2010, 10:36 PM GMT

I say, don't rush them.

I say, strike while the iron's hot.

Quote: Mark W @ December 21 2010, 10:35 PM GMT

I would say that the BBC wanting more is just a formality, and Miranda expressed a wish on Ruth Jones' Christmas Cracker for another series, but there are undoubtedly other considerations to make. Let's hope...

Quote: Aaron @ December 21 2010, 10:49 PM GMT

I would say that the BBC wanting more is just a formality, and Miranda expressed a wish on Ruth Jones' Christmas Cracker for another series, but there are undoubtedly other considerations to make. Let's hope...

:( Let's hope not, I also made a wish.

Quote: dellas @ December 23 2010, 6:21 AM GMT

:( Let's hope not, I also made a wish.

Let's hope so! :)

A funny episode but my God, that's doing sitcom Christmas specials on the cheap!!! That was a Con-Dem coalition cut-back special from the emaciated BBC. No wonder they're having to show a couple of 70s Christmas specials to make up for it.

I don't like this comedy I am afraid to say. I have tried it, then tried it again & given it another try since.
It's not my thang!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 21 2010, 12:15 AM GMT

I'm sure you've noticed that the rest of the cast are all quite slim. Surely it's to accentuate her non slimness, as I agree that she is not obese, just a bit lumpy.

Well, YOU'VE clearly noticed. As a woman and therefore obsessed with weight (actually I pretty much am) I hadn't noticed. I'd noticed Patricia Hodge is thin, but mostly because I think she's kind of hot.

Could it not be that amongst a population of female actresses, you'll get more thin people than amongst a population of normal women?

The character of Stevie is deliberately tiny to contrast to Miranda, but that's in the way of height too. The other two main female characters are brilliant comedy actresses and play their roles perfectly, maybe that's why they were hired rather than to make Miranda look fat in order to push some kind of weight agenda?

Overweight women do not exclusively do weight related comedy, I'm not entirely sure where you get that from? I've seen Sarah Millican several times. There are weight jokes in there, but they do not, by ANY stretch of the imagination dominate her act.

You're talking about Miranda as though, being female orientated, it's automatically only women that can appreciate it? I don't get that at all. The show is popular with plenty of men, but there are aspects that women can relate to. I've joyfully found out that most of my friends watch the show and are reminded of me, and I definitely love and appreciate the social awkwardness moments and the being rubbish with men stuff on a very personal level. But what's wrong with that? Most good comedy is personal, being a woman in a society where we're still judged above all else by our looks (as is evidenced by this thread) is tough, and Miranda perfectly highlights a lot of the neuroses of a lot of women.

Men Behaving Badly resonated with a lot of men, but you didn't hear women complaining about a gender bias there? Martin Clunes was hardly a looker (acknowledged in the show) but no big deal was made of that. Women were able to love it too, even though we didn't identify with it as readily as we do with something like Miranda. The difference is, women are used to being exposed to comedy with a male gender bias. Pretty much all comedy is coming from the perspective of the writer and/or performer, and the gender will be a factor. Men are not used to women in comedy so much, and anything that appeals to women more than men is pounced upon and used as evidence for its inferiority.

What about men who use their weight in their comedy? Ricky Gervais? Stewart Lee? Johnny Vegas? Peter Kay? Justin Moorhouse? Richard Herring? James Corden? Matt Lucas? Men also use their general appearance too, how many introductions have you seen where a comedian, irrespective of gender, compares themselves in an unflattering way with a celebrity?

Personally speaking, I wouldn't class myself as particularly fat by normal standards. Aesthetically I'd like to be a bit thinner, but I'm healthy enough. If I was on TV though, I know there'd be comments like that made about me, because our expectations are different of women on TV.

My usual material for my comedy is stuff like my social inappropriateness, my bad choices with men, real life situations I've been in etc. Self deprecation is quite a big part of it, but that's what I'm like generally. I've mentioned my weight once, incidentally it was the first line from my first gig. I almost felt I needed to address the unspoken "but you're not allowed to be on stage, you're not pretty enough!" vibe that, like it or not, women have to put up with.

I actually see Miranda as a really positive role model. She doesn't see herself as attractive (which is subjective, personally I think she's beautiful, which is as much to do with her character as her looks) but she's not sitting in the corner apologising for existing. She's confident, strong, friendly, outspoken, brave, able to laugh at herself, kind, and loyal to her friends. People are talking about her being rubbish with men. She didn't forgive Gary, despite her feelings for him. Glossing over the fact that he's conventionally gorgeous and she maybe isn't, she had self respect and didn't put up with the way he'd behaved.

She's single not because she can't get a man, but because she doesn't need one and won't settle for one who isn't good enough for her.

As for the 'never had a boyfriend' line, I took that as being about her Mum, rather than being the truth. My mother certainly has no clue what goes on in my life with men. She knew about my ex husband, but she paid for the wedding so it was kind of unavoidable.

Is it me or is everyone in Miranda white?

Nice post, JoLaw! :)

Quote: sootyj @ January 1 2011, 9:03 PM GMT

Is it me or is everyone in Miranda white?

Just like Dad's Army, Spaced, Alan Partridge, Fawlty Towers, The Thick of It... Too bad it's not liberal like Father Ted or The Office (UK) where minorities are wheeled in just for the the "dealing with racial jokes" episodes.

I'd reckon it's just a combination of who actually auditions for the parts and that's just how life is. I imagine most people do not have an ethnically diverse social circle.... and Miranda's social circle is mighty small.

Quote: zooo @ January 1 2011, 9:18 PM GMT

Nice post, JoLaw! :)

Cheers, I do love a good rant!

Me and the wife 'discovered' Miranda at the start of series 2 and our eldest daughter, who is probably a bit young for it, enjoys it too. I can imagine that the majority of fans are women but it's telling that it was me that went out and bought series 1 on DVD not the missus.

I like 'silly' a lot though I think this show goes too bonkers at times. However I was heartily tickled when I saw Miranda trying to hide in a drawer. It's good stuff that keeps me amused throughout so I am therefore recommssioning another series (with my cut of the licence fee).