Miranda - Series 2 Page 18

She'll never know.

And if you think this thread (or pretty much any other on the board) is respectful, you're nuts! ;)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 20 2010, 9:18 AM GMT

The show is about her being awkward, it's not just a series of fat jokes.

I agree.

But her awkwardness is derived from her excess weight.

Among other things.
Even if she was a non-overweight six footer, she'd still be pretty much the same awkward character, in my opinion.

Or do people seriously think that all thin women are confident and socially capable?

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 20 2010, 9:26 AM GMT

I agree.

But her awkwardness is derived from her excess weight.

I thought it was more from her height.

Personally, I've never really even considered her to be "fat" just very tall and Amazonian.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 20 2010, 9:29 AM GMT

Personally, I've never really even considered her to be "fat" just very tall and Amazonian.

Prezunctly.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 20 2010, 9:29 AM GMT

I thought it was more from her height.

In that case, they might replace her with Jodie Kidd.

Yeah. That'll work.

The show is about how attractive Miranda is without realising it herself Veronica. That's what drives it. It's clever really. It's what makes it human, and much loved. And well written.

Quote: Marc P @ December 20 2010, 9:41 AM GMT

The show is about how attractive Miranda is without realising it herself

Really?

Then explain why she's never had a boyfriend.

Have you watched the current series Veronica??? And like I say it is about her how attracttive she is without realising it herself. It really is a staple of romantic comedy and I am surprised you haven't seen this.

Quote: Marc P @ December 20 2010, 9:45 AM GMT

it is about her how attractive she is without realising it herself.

Really?

Well, you can see the mess she's making with Gary.
Men will have been interested, but she will have messed it up, this pattern probably runs through her life.

That's kind of the whole point, as I see it.

I think we all know that when it comes to pulling boys/men, attractive girls tend to do 'quite all right, thank you very much' from a very early age regardless of any personality issues they may have.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 20 2010, 9:46 AM GMT

Really?

It's because she doesn't realise herself her attractiveness. It's an obstacle she has to overcome to become happy. Sitcoms work like this, giving someone something they want to attain, a goal, but they never get it or the show would stop, Again it is quite a well know comedic device.

So are we still calling her fat, or have we now moved on to ugly?

Attractiveness is really much more of a broader concept than how tall a woman is or how much she weighs.