Miranda - Series 2 Page 20

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 20 2010, 1:05 PM GMT

A size 18 for someone who is 6 foot 1 is probably about the equivalent of a small size 14 on someone 5 foot 5 (national average). That's smaller than national average for dress size (which is now a large 14) but big for TV admittedly. For me she looks the right build for her height.

I wasn't being entirely serious.

I don't think she looks that fat really; she's obviously not Kate Moss, but then she's not Bernard Manning either. I don't look at her and think 'fat'. I do look at her and think 'tall', though; but then I am a short arse.

Quote: chipolata @ December 20 2010, 1:08 PM GMT

I wasn't being entirely serious.

I know you weren't. I was just taking that oportunity as I'd been working it out. I merely used you.

It's comforting to see that, 20 pages into this thread, the issue of Miranda Hart's weight still remains the (big) bone of contention. People may accuse the BCG of many things, but by God, no-one can accuse us of not being thorough! :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 20 2010, 1:08 PM GMT

I don't think she looks that fat really; she's obviously not Kate Moss, but then she's not Bernard Manning either. I don't look at her and think 'fat'. I do look at her and think 'tall', though; but then I am a short arse.

I imagine her BMI isn't too healthy, but she's good proof that BMI can be somewhat unreliable.

Good stuff. When's Series 3 please, Mr BBC? :)

Such fun! Great episode :)

I thought I was going to piss myself at the boob-clap.

Ha. That was pretty amazing.

Quote: Marc P @ December 19 2010, 11:35 PM GMT

I'm not sure how this relates to Miranda. I don't get the sense from the show that she is making an issue of being overweight. She clearly isn't.

It's in there Marc, yes, it's not only about being overweight, no, but it is one of the major elements she is getting jokes out of - I'm sure you've noticed that the rest of the cast are all quite slim. Surely it's to accentuate her non slimness, as I agree that she is not obese, just a bit lumpy.

But being lumpy next to several slim ladies, including her mother, makes her lumpiness an issue for her, adds to her insecurities in a size obsessed era when women are pushed to feel they have to be slim to be attractive, and it gives her the chance to do a barrel full of 'liking her food' jokes. It's in there. Hundreds of food jokes are surely related to the subject of female fatness or at the very very least, figure consciousness. It is a major source of comedy for women and she's hammering it. Good episode though, predictable as ever but well planned.

Sorry, there are references in there to her physical awkwardness, but like I say it is height and size wise mainly. She clearly isn't 'Fat', is the point I was making. And it is all to do with figure consciousness as you say and self perception thereof. The main comedy comparison with her side kick is the height issue. So yes, food references etc, but I think most people are aware now of the relationship between food and self esteem and the writers of this are as well. My point was that the 'Raison D'etre' of the show is not about her being overweight. Her old school mate calls her Queen Kong - this is not a metaphor for fatness - but for being... I guess the word Amazonian that someone else used - to mix the metaphors.

Anyway, great show - looking forward to more.

:)

Quote: Lassoon @ December 21 2010, 12:11 AM GMT

I thought I was going to piss myself at the boob-clap.

http://twitter.com/mermhart/status/17018548077469696

Just watched it. Very good.

More of the same for series 3 please.

Quote: bigfella @ December 21 2010, 12:24 PM GMT

More of the same for series 3 please.

Yesterday's episode got over 4m viewers, so I'm pretty sure a recommission is just a formality (especially as it is made in-house).

My thinking for why it's such a hit is because there's so little in the way of jolly, up-beat, family friendly comedy at the moment. Certainly boosts my mood! Such, what I call, fun!

Probably the weakest episode of the series for me, still good but didn't take to it as much as the other 5

Ratings so far

Episode 1 - 3.19 million

Episode 2 - 3.37 million

Episode 3 - 4.01 million (3.65 million in overnights)

Episode 4 - 2.85 (2.49 in overnights)

Episode 5 - 2.91 million (overnights)

Episode 6 - 4.4 million (overnights)