Torchwood... Page 62

The series was twice as long as it needed to be. There were episodes around the middle of the run that had me banging my head against my desk.

In one episode, the entire first twenty minutes seemed to comprise nothing more that the protagonists sitting around a pleasant Santa Monica apartment, smiling and reeling off pages of tedious and unnecessary exposition. Dreadful stuff.

Characters ultimately were wasted too -- particularly the pedophile and the PR totty, neither of which seemed to ultimately have much reason for being there.

Why for series two of course - Torchhollywood.

Quote: Nogget @ September 19 2011, 4:51 AM BST

("what is The Blessing? We don't know."),

The blessing was a byproduct of a Silurian cryonics system that was modified by adding the blood of an immortal.

Do keep up!

Quote: sootyj @ September 19 2011, 10:22 AM BST

The blessing was a byproduct of a Silurian cryonics system that was modified by adding the blood of an immortal.

Is that true?

Yup it was a passing remark made by Jack when gazing into the crevace.

The 3 families didn't know what it was but he did.

Overall though a stinker and tonally all over the place.

Quote: sootyj @ September 19 2011, 11:23 AM BST

Yup it was a passing remark made by Jack when gazing into the crevace.

But that's....

Well, a pretty idiotic choice. They haven't even been in Torchwood.

And who were the immortals? And why is Jack immortal because Tardis' and Time Lord's aren't.

Quote: Marc P @ September 19 2011, 11:48 AM BST

And why is Jack immortal

Because Rose brought him back to life after the Daleks killed him and stopped death being an option; made him a fixed, living point.

Neither have the Tirckster Brigade.

Basically they're throwing a bone to obsessive Whovians. In the vague hope of hooking in fanatical fans, like when in the final series of Enterprise. They answered every bone headed TOS, STNG question.

Why have some Klingons got diferent shaped foreheads? What happened in the Romulan wars? Will girls ever fancy me?

It's the works of an utterly desperate script team. Torchwood would do well to work out what the charm of the original series was and why Children of Earth worked?

A good basis for it's charms were.

1 Humour, it was actually quite funny.
2 Realistic about sex and serious issues. Silly about scifi.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 19 2011, 11:51 AM BST

Because Rose brought him back to life after the Daleks killed him and stopped death being an option; made him a fixed, living point.

Yes but that is just saying Rose made him immortal. I still don't get the logic of it. Teary

Essentially the power she was imbued with was so powerful it permanently altered him.

It's a scifi trope.

Like why you can't go faster than the speed of light. And how the TV brings people into your very parlour.

Ah okay. Seems very odd to fetch it across into Torchwood. Seems all a bit made up on the fly.

Quote: Marc P @ September 19 2011, 11:56 AM BST

Ah okay. Seems very odd to fetch it across into Torchwood. Seems all a bit made up on the fly.

Well,that's his character after that point, so that's the character they built the show around. I don't think they've ever actually mentioned why he is the way he is in Torchwood itself though.

Wasn't there something in his childhood that had something to do with something... and something in the darkness?

Quote: Marc P @ September 19 2011, 12:00 PM BST

Wasn't there something in his childhood that had something to do with something... and something in the darkness?

Nope that was the reason why his younger brother hated him

On account of him not being able to save him from an unnamed enemy.

And Torchwood like the Sara Jane Adventures was an attempt to use familiar characters in diferent settings.

Hence the God awful journey home trillogy,