The gambling thread Page 34

Anyone else bet on the cricket with the football off at the weekend? I get too tied up in football accas which never come off to remember I've had far more success with cricket punts. So I put five bets on England and just one £5 bet failed. Brought in a profit of £134.75 although a forgotten change of debit card f**k up cost me another £330 if I'd managed to get the bets on. By the time I'd updated my card details the odds had plummeted. Still, a better than usual weekend flutter.

Never thought to bet on cricket... I do like multiple bets on one football match though.
Tonight it will be Hudds V Wigan. I know the team and the players and I know that morale is at an all-time low.
The bookies can't split them at about 6/4 each but I can, HTAFC have no chance at the moment.

Oh dear, one weekend, and who has withdrawal symptoms.

Money in the bag. I don't like betting against my team but the manager is useless and the team rudderless.
Looking for the odds on him being sacked.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th September 2022, 10:16 AM

Never thought to bet on cricket...

It adds even more excitement to a Test match, if that's possible! You do have to be brave and back your urges early though, there's too many times I've been watching and thought I bet he gets 50 or 100 and not backed it, or just as often by the time I've logged in and added funds the odds have halved.

The same with bowling, which I've had most success backing, the other day I fancied Broad to get the next wicket before he was even given the nod to bowl, but by the time I'd got the card changed on there to add the funds he'd not only come on to bowl but got his wicket! My top player, I seem to have a knack for predicting his wickets, he goes from looking out of sorts to blistering spells of wicket taking in an instant. I'm sure he does it on purpose to fool the batters, so that's what I look for now.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th September 2022, 10:26 PM

Looking for the odds on him being sacked.

Nuts, couldn't find any odds last night and this morning he's had the tin tack.

William Hill (on-line or in shop with their "plus-card") are going evens that there is a goal in the Wolves v Man City game on Saturday. To a maximum £10 stake.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th September 2022, 10:31 AM

Nuts, couldn't find any odds last night and this morning he's had the tin tack.

Hmm sounds to me like they were all informed by the club if they lose tonight the manager goes. It's done to stop insider betting by friends of theirs on their behalf, and sometimes to give the press an early warning to make space for the story. Probably best to anticipate it a few days before the game or even a game or two early so his name hasn't come off the list. And you'd get better odds.

I see Brendan Rodgers is the hot favourite for next to go at well less than even money. Would have to splash big to get anything worthwhile back on that. I don't think he'll be out of work long if he does. Next Forest coach maybe? Cooper's the 2nd favourite to go.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th September 2022, 2:43 PM

Hmm sounds to me like they were all informed by the club if they lose tonight the manager goes. It's done to stop insider betting by friends of theirs on their behalf, and sometimes to give the press an early warning to make space for the story. Probably best to anticipate it a few days before the game or even a game or two early so his name hasn't come off the list. And you'd get better odds.

I don't think that, as a rule, they tend to bet on the next manager to go in leagues other than the Premier League.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th September 2022, 1:19 PM

William Hill (on-line or in shop with their "plus-card") are going evens that there is a goal in the Wolves v Man City game on Saturday. To a maximum £10 stake.

Well, it didn't take long for that bet to come to fruition!

I tried to look for the odds of Brendan Rogers being sacked
but every gambling site leads me to a 404 page not found screen

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 18th September 2022, 1:10 AM

I tried to look for the odds of Brendan Rogers being sacked
but every gambling site leads me to a 404 page not found screen

404 is the number of pounds you'd have to put on to make anything worthwhile:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post

I was watching ITV racing yesterday and nothing was catching my eye and was about to turn it over when something caught my ear in the background.
An owner or trainer was laying into a jockey in the parade ring. He was effing and jeffing, telling him to make sure he wasn't blocked in during the race and to go at the effing 3F mark. I want no effing cock ups like last time.
The commentators apologised, saying sorry if you heard some fruity language there.
I checked who the jockey was and his horse was the favourite. I bunged a fair bit on it on the strength of that.

I know it was the favourite and the odds were poor and it had only run once before but the connections clearly expected it to win.

The jockey did as he was told. He stayed on the outside to avoid being blocked and at the 3F post he kicked on, breezing past the rest and was pulling up at the winning post.

Keep your eye out for Sakheer. He has extra gears.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th September 2022, 10:00 AM

Keep your eye out for Sakheer. He has extra gears.

Odds for next year's 2,000 Guineas: https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/2000-guineas/winner

Of course that race is over seven months away and, if he doesn't run, you will lose your stake money.

And it's over a mile whereas yesterday's win was over only 6 furlongs. Two opposing views from Racing Post reporters: "It looked like David Egan still had many more gears to go through, and his pedigree, being by Zoffany and related to a winner over a mile, suggests that trip could be his optimum." or There is no doubt in my mind that he'll make his impact at the top level, but I think it will come over a sprint trip.

You pays your money and you takes your chance...

You can buy the number of times the ball is put in the net in the World Cup without a goal being awarded (eg disallowed goals, kicked in in a fit of pique, etc) at 23.5 with Sporting Index. Extra time included but not penalty shoot-outs. 23.5 times in 64 games? With VAR in operation? Surely...

If you bet £10 on any country to win the World Cup with 888sport.com they are giving a £5 free bet every time that team wins a match. So, if you find a team that can win just two of their group games, you will break even and then anything on top of that is a bonus. France (who play Tunisia, Australia & Denmark in their group) seem to fit that criterion.