The gambling thread Page 36

Could someone recommend me some betting tips? Ty!

Well, well, well. Whoever would have thought.

I'm surprised this thread wasn't bumped up recently]what with it beiung teh Grand National last weekend and all

Anyway William Hill gave enhanced odds on Gakpo scoring first I thought ok I'll chuck a quid on at 7/1
Niiiiiice

Also Real Madrid currently 4/1 for the Champions league
Not one to put your house on when it's probably inevitably Man City's year

But I chucked a couple of quid at it just because of the Odds

I had £19 in £1 free bets credited to me over the years but they could only be used on football acca's.
I don't bother with that type of bet so they just sat there.
Then I saw a bloke on Twitter giving free tips for acca's and his followers were regularly praising his skills.
In for a pound as they say. So I used his advice. About 3 out of 5 of his bets come up.
Low odds but a win is a win (usually about 2/1 to 5/1 accumulated) So far I have about £50 generated from those bets.

Been awarded a free £10 spread bet on specific football markets to be used by 6 June. So that's basically the FA Cup Final, the Scottish Cup Final or some foreign game.

The market involves predicting certain eventualities and, if correct, it makes up @ 100; if incorrect it makes up @ 0.

Possibilities they offer include impossible outcomes such as Man Utd to be 3-0 up at half time and lose 4-3, which you wouldn't touch even with a £10 free bet even though the spread is 0-0.05 (thus giving you £999.50 profit on a £10 stake).

The one I've gone for is Man City to win in 90 minutes and under 7 goals in the game, which I've bought @ 66.7 (which equates to fixed odds of 1/2). Obviously the most likely outcome but still a juicy potential £333.30 profit on a £10 free bet with no downside. Doubtless something will go wrong on the day...

I'm with Sky Bet mainly. Their free bet awards never expire.
But they are sods for point-shaving on horse races.
You'll never get the odds that are being shown on live TV racing.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st May 2023, 7:47 AM

I'm with Sky Bet mainly. Their free bet awards never expire.

I have £60-worth at the moment. Saving them for Royal Ascot.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st May 2023, 7:47 AM

But they are sods for point-shaving on horse races.
You'll never get the odds that are being shown on live TV racing.

You can always take SP.

There is that (sp) but I like to catch them before they come down
I've seen Sky be as much as 2 1/2 points out and never change

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st May 2023, 12:12 PM

There is that (sp) but I like to catch them before they come down

Now you've sparked my interest - are we talking knickers, here?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th May 2023, 6:55 PM

Been awarded a free £10 spread bet on specific football markets to be used by 6 June. So that's basically the FA Cup Final, the Scottish Cup Final or some foreign game.

I've gone for is Man City to win in 90 minutes and under 7 goals in the game, which I've bought @ 66.7 (which equates to fixed odds of 1/2). Obviously the most likely outcome but still a juicy potential £333.30 profit on a £10 free bet with no downside. Doubtless something will go wrong on the day...

Phew, that was nerve wracking...

Gambling is mug's game now more than ever being mainly online, even if you win something like £300 the odds are you'll lose it soon enough and the betting sites know it. Recently held a pot of nearly £200 after a couple of rare wins and now have about 12 quid left in it. You are officially more carefree with winnings than you are with your hard earnt money and sites target you with tempters. Collect the money, then start again with small deposits, but keep a log somewhere of your balance is best advice.

All online roulette, one armed bandits etc of the ilk, should be banned - too easy to use and so easy to fix the odds. I am at a complete loss, to understand why people get hooked on them Do they not realise it is a con?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd June 2023, 11:32 PM

Gambling is mug's game now more than ever being mainly online, even if you win something like £300 the odds are you'll lose it soon enough and the betting sites know it. Recently held a pot of nearly £200 after a couple of rare wins and now have about 12 quid left in it. You are officially more carefree with winnings than you are with your hard earnt money and sites target you with tempters. Collect the money, then start again with small deposits, but keep a log somewhere of your balance is best advice.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th June 2023, 9:29 AM

All online roulette, one armed bandits etc of the ilk, should be banned - too easy to use and so easy to fix the odds. I am at a complete loss, to understand why people get hooked on them Do they not realise it is a con?

I certainly wouldn't get involved with gambling (or investing as I prefer to call it) on anything other than sports in which I have an interest - mainly football & horseracing with the very occasional golf & tennis. Certainly not on the terminals in betting shops, not on-line, not even the lottery. Although I do have Premium Bonds, on which, of course, you're gambling the interest you would have earned elsewhere. That was ok when interest rates were lower and my ISA was paying about 11p per month. Now it's paying about £10pm, I should, strictly speaking, consider switching my Premium Bond investment to that but there's always the chance of a big prize. Now that is reckless gambling!

Not necessarily a "mug's game" though. Anything can get out of control or addictive if you're not careful - alcohol, eating, not eating, use of smartphone/internet/social media, shopping, sex...

You say, if you win £300, you'll lose it again. That may well be so but, if you have fun doing it, it's no different to spending it on a weekend away or a meal out. And, at the end of the day, you've spent nothing. Of course you have to keep a record of what you're spending but that's true about all spending. I never understand people who don't ask for a receipt when buying something on a credit card. Can they remember everything they've spent when they get home? (That's apart from the question of proving you've paid when the store detective confronts you on he way out.) If not, how do they know whether they're keeping their expenditure within budget? I personally keep a completely different bank account for my betting activity.

Betting on sports can also help keep the brain active - studying the form, calculating the odds, working out the winnings. It all takes a lot of thought if you do it seriously. And that's without the entertainment aspect, following the event on TV or attending live.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th June 2023, 10:16 AM

I certainly wouldn't get involved with gambling (or investing as I prefer to call it) on anything other than sports in which I have an interest - mainly football & horseracing with the very occasional golf & tennis. Certainly not on the terminals in betting shops, not on-line, not even the lottery. Although I do have Premium Bonds, on which, of course, you're gambling the interest you would have earned elsewhere. That was ok when interest rates were lower and my ISA was paying about 11p per month. Now it's paying about £10pm, I should, strictly speaking, consider switching my Premium Bond investment to that but there's always the chance of a big prize. Now that is reckless gambling!

Not necessarily a "mug's game" though. Anything can get out of control or addictive if you're not careful - alcohol, eating, not eating, use of smartphone/internet/social media, shopping, sex...

You say, if you win £300, you'll lose it again. That may well be so but, if you have fun doing it, it's no different to spending it on a weekend away or a meal out. And, at the end of the day, you've spent nothing. Of course you have to keep a record of what you're spending but that's true about all spending. I never understand people who don't ask for a receipt when buying something on a credit card. Can they remember everything they've spent when they get home? (That's apart from the question of proving you've paid when the store detective confronts you on he way out.) If not, how do they know whether they're keeping their expenditure within budget? I personally keep a completely different bank account for my betting activity.

Betting on sports can also help keep the brain active - studying the form, calculating the odds, working out the winnings. It all takes a lot of thought if you do it seriously. And that's without the entertainment aspect, following the event on TV or attending live.

Bloody Hell! No wonder I have dementia

Oh and, "(or investing as I prefer to call it)" Swipe me 🧐