Sitcom Script Question, Help Needed Page 3

Sorry but it IS important to number the scenes. Numbered scenes are necessary for a read through, rhearsal and for reference. If you don't number them, someone else will have to. You should also be indicating time, i.e. when the event is taking place DAY1. [12.30PM], DAY 2. [9.00PM] etc.

A Flashback is a separate scene with its own set, characters and dialogue and will have to logged by the director and editor, so will require a title of some kind. You can call it 'FLASHBACK 1.' or 'INSERT 1. Flashback', or 'SCENE 12. INT. SHOP. DAY. FLASHBACK', where it follows on from SCENE 11 etc., but you must call it something.

Martin, I think your first effort is more-or-less there, you just need to indicate a transition at the end of the flashback, as AJP has said – either 'CUT TO.' or 'MIX TO' if you want a disolve rather than a cut.

'CONTINUOUS' is a direction for when action follows on in time, so you would not use this for a flashback. Use this when a character walks down a corridor and opens a door in one scene and is then shown entering a room in the next. 'Continuous' indicates to the reader that the scene follows on with no delay in time. (The time in the character's world).

To interrupt a scene, if for example you used the 'INSERT 1' direction, use the same scene number and CONTD. (CONTINUED).

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks alot Godot Taxis, that's how I usually do it, with the scene number and the time of day its happening, I thought it was strange that people was saying you shouldn't number them.

So after I've done the Flashback scene and then say I want to return to the previous scene (say Scene 1) would I just put CUT TO and then SCENE 1 again?

EDIT: Sorry just realised you answered this with the 'Interupt' directions. So I'd just say SCENE 1 (CONT'D).

I think putting these directions in to actual examples could be very helpful, especially the CONTINUOUS one because I'll be wanting to use that one a bit too. I just want to get the format exactly right you see, that's why so many questions, the funny I've got sorted, the story sorted, the characters sorted, its just the layout.

For a pitching script, you wouldn't number the scenes.

Once the show goes into pre-production, then you definitely would.

Why not scene number a pitching script? Because your pitching script WILL change if it goes into production, therefore the scene numbers are irrelevant. Page numbers are perfectly adequate for referring to specific things.

It's something you don't need to worry about at this stage - focus on your writing!

On a more general point, I wouldn't get too bogged down on script formatting, obviously it needs to look the part to a certain extent but as long as everything is clear you're good to go.

You're not going to be judged on how well you can lay out a script!

I know but I'd like to get it right and look nice for future script writing. Plus I want to do it in the simplest way possible. I don't want to write a long description of how the next scene will be a flashback and then we will be returning to the original scene.

I think I'm sorted anyway now. Thanks for all the help guys. :D

Quote: Martin Holmes @ May 14, 2007, 1:12 PM

I know but I'd like to get it right and look nice for future script writing.

Sorry Martin, I wasn't saying you specifically getting bogged down in script formatting, just making a very general point based on my own (painfully learned!) experience!

Yeah that's cool, I know what you mean, focus on the actual content type thing. It's just that it makes it easier when you know how to lay things out properly. :)

It is actually important to nail the formatting of the script, not because the company you send it to will judge you on it, they won't, but for your own piece of mind.

Nobody ever wrote good comedy whilst shitting a brick about formatting. Nail it and forget it. And never assume that the reader will know what you mean. Most people who look at your script will just skim it.

Here's an example of 'continuous' in a script. You shouldn't have much use for it because it's for when a character goes from one location to another in successive scenes in real time which won't happen much in a good script.

SCENE 12. EXT. SHOP. DAY 1. [9.30AM]

AS HE APPROACHES THE SHOP DOOR BEN STEPS IN A LARGE DOG TURD.

CUT TO.

SCENE 13. INT. SHOP. DAY 1. [9.30AM]

CONTINUOUS.

BEN COMES IN HOPPING.

DAISY.
You too eh?

WE SEE THAT SHE IS ONLY WEARING ONE SHOE.

SCENE 19. INT. AIRPORT. DAY 1. [2.00PM]

OFFICIAL:
Passport?

BEN HANDS OVER HIS PASSPORT.

INSERT 1.

ROSTRUM SHOT. BEN'S PASSPORT. SOMEONE HAS DOODLED DARK GLASSES AND AN ARAB HEADRESS ON HIS PHOTO - PRESUMABLY PHIL. THEY HAVE ALSO WRITTEN 'LADEN' IN BIRO NEXT TO 'BEN'.

SCENE 19. INT. AIRPORT. DAY 1. [2.00PM] CONTD.

THE OFFICIAL RETURNS THE PASSPORT TO BEN.

OFFICIAL:
That's great, thanks.

Obviously, scene heading should be bold and underlined – can't do that here.

Hope this helps.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 15, 2007, 4:51 AM

Obviously, scene heading should be bold and underlined – can't do that here.

Square brackets with 'b' and 'u' should give you bold and underline (if you 'quote' this post, you'll see how to.)

Dan

That's great Godot thanks. One last thing, it's best to start a new scene on a new page isn't it? So even if there is an INSERT in between a scene, when we go back to the previous scene that should be started on a new page?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 15, 2007, 4:51 AM

THEY HAVE ALSO WRITTEN 'LADEN' IN BIRO NEXT TO 'BEN'.

lol.

Can I ask a question?

How would you write two people talking together or even at the same time?

Dual dialogue is shown as two dialogues next to each other on the script.

I'm lucky enough to have final draft 7, and that does it for you, but in the past I've faffed about with formatting to produce the same effect.

Alternatively, I suppose you could put it in the action:

JOHN AND BETSY SPEAK AT THE SAME TIME.

And then just put both dialogues one after another.

I have Final Draft 7 as well, I noticed Dual Dialogue as an option, but couldn't figure it out. But I only had a quick look.

Just type the dialogue you want to be dual as normal; highlight it, then click the dual dialogue button, and watch the magic of FD7 do it's stuff!

Thanks Stylo, you read my Day at the Beach script didn't you? There's a bit a the end where they both say, "Bloody kids." That's what prompted this question.

Just tried it, works a treat, thanks.

Quote: swerytd @ May 15, 2007, 8:39 AM

Square brackets with 'b' and 'u' should give you bold and underline (if you 'quote' this post, you'll see how to.)

Dan

Thanks Dan.

Martin, with an insert, I would stick it on the same page as the scene it interrupts, just because it's not a new scene. You should differentiate it by bolding, underlining and using the same margin as your scene headers.

Using a fresh page for each scene is the convention and a good idea. Apart from making it easier for you if you want to alter a word, it gives the 21 year Cambridge graduate skimming your script a little breather.