Sitcom Script Question, Help Needed Page 5

It's the only reason I joined...

Ah,The early days of a script when you still think it's going to revolutionise the TV comedy! Six months from now, when it's been kicked to pieces by the writersroom and various production companies you'll be happy to post it here, or indeed hang it on a nail in the lavatory :)

No, I understand, I haven't posted my own stuff for the same reasons.

Its not the members I don't trust, its non-members that lurk around these parts lol.

I don't think my script is going to revolutionise TV comedy, I just think its got some good ideas and jokes in it. I posted my earlier sitcom script on this forum before 'Street Theatre' which I'm sure you can find in the Critique Forum some where. But this script is a different style from that, its not a traditional sitcom for a start so gives me more freedom to do stuff. I think the reason I'm also wary of posting it, is because I feel this script might actually have a good chance of getting seen and read by production companies, as I've finally made some contacts (about time I'd say)...so the worst thing would be lurkers stealing ideas...it does happen you know and then its hard to claim a joke and you can't take insurance out on them. :)

I think when you do post stuff for review, you could just post a sample that best represents what you're trying to achieve. And keep the best stuff to your self.

And when you do get feedback along the lines of, "I'd like to read more.." You know you're onto a good thing, without giving it all away.

Yeah, I'll post a few snippets up when I've got the first episode fully sorted.

That's why it's best to only post a scene or two rather than the whole half hour sitcom.

No-one's really got time to read the whole thing and thayt's why I've missed out on reading a couple of the recent threads.

Yeah I agree, but sometimes you can't get a real sense of the script without reading the full thing.

I know with mine and I'm sure many others are the same, lots of plot details are picked up along the way, as well as callback's to earlier jokes etc. So when I do post some snippets up, I'll try to choose ones that flow in some kind of order.

Good stuff, look forward to it.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 17, 2007, 6:24 PM

Ah,The early days of a script when you still think it's going to revolutionise the TV comedy! Six months from now, when it's been kicked to pieces by the writersroom and various production companies you'll be happy to post it here, or indeed hang it on a nail in the lavatory :)

No, I understand, I haven't posted my own stuff for the same reasons.

I`m just joining in btw, but I see a different picture. I don`t think my script will revolutionise anything. It`s just entertainment. But then, I`ve never been one to always follow the rules & apart from one exception... I er... posted a chunk of mine here first...

You don`t have to tell me. I get it. I really do:D

Yeah, I'm the same, I don't think or want my script to 'revolutionise' anything. I just want to make comedy funny again, with lots of jokes, lots of deep 3-dimensional characters and great plots. A couple of years ago my scripts didn't and I wouldn't say they did that, they were alright but nothing more than that. But now I am really proud of the sitcom I've created and the current script I'm writing. And I will get this filmed with or without the help of a proper production company. :)

I'm only 22, but most of the stuff I wrote when I was 18, I think is crap, lol.

Not to put you down or anything, but my views have changed on things even in those short 4 years.

I used to be (and still am a bit) defensive against poorly written comedy, but now I've relaxed (a bit) and realised if it wasn't for the crap getting 18 billions viewers on BBC1 then there would be no chance in hell anyone would takes risks on comedy like they do, like they did on Little Britain or The Office.

So you have to understand, everything is there for a reason and a lot of it is trial & error as well.

Yeah. I'll post some snippets up in about a week or so of my script and see what you think.

Maybe we should start our own Production Company and do it ourselves.

BSG PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS...

A comedy that is traditional, yet modern and witty, it mentions Ricky Gervais but has nothing to do with him, it's shown on BBC1 Primetime but is repeated on BBC2 Cult Time, doesn't rip off anything, but is totally influenced by everything. It's British yet in one episode they got to the states. It has crazy catchphrases but their ironic, but ironnically they become annoying popular.

It's Politically Celebrity Knob Gags with guest stars who don't actually appear on screen.

Sounds good eh?

Coming Soon!

Quote: Martin Holmes @ May 26, 2007, 1:47 PM

Yeah, I'm the same, I don't think or want my script to 'revolutionise' anything. I just want to make comedy funny again, with lots of jokes, lots of deep 3-dimensional characters and great plots. A couple of years ago my scripts didn't and I wouldn't say they did that, they were alright but nothing more than that. But now I am really proud of the sitcom I've created and the current script I'm writing. And I will get this filmed with or without the help of a proper production company. :)

Martin, I might be able to help you produce a demo disc – I'm a video editor.