Sitcom Script Question, Help Needed Page 6

Godot Taxi you an old skool editor with the spinning tracking discs or into digital editing Avid, Final cut( If you own a mac and god help you if you do) I'm a vegas man Love Vegas video always have I cannot abide by fincal cut the macs we usedto use hung almost continously.

If any one want ny help I am trained in martail arts...I mean TV Production can edit, film, do effects, record v.o's, setup outside broadcasts just can't get a job doing an of the above.

Quote: Gavin @ May 27, 2007, 8:56 AM

If any one want ny help I am trained in martail arts...I mean TV Production can edit, film, do effects, record v.o's, setup outside broadcasts just can't get a job doing an of the above.

Why is that?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 27, 2007, 6:32 AM

Martin, I might be able to help you produce a demo disc – I'm a video editor.

Ace thanks for the offer. I will bear it in mind. Like I say I will send the script to production companies first when it's done and polished, but if they don't bite, I will be looking to get it filmed independantly. So yeah thanks.

Quick question. Scenes that take place in a car or other vehicle, should they be labelled 'EXT' or 'INT'?

What if the car is in a garage? Head f**k!

Yeah Laughing out loud

I would use INT. for when people are inside the car. Or, if the car is going down a road and you want a mix of outside and inside shots you could use INT./EXT. CAR - DAY

Don't know if that helps or not.

I/E. I think? I see it pop up when I'm using Final Draft.

Yeah, or I/E. for the shorter way.

Quote: Gavin @ May 27, 2007, 8:56 AM

Godot Taxi you an old skool editor with the spinning tracking discs or into digital editing Avid, Final cut( If you own a mac and god help you if you do) I'm a vegas man Love Vegas video always have I cannot abide by fincal cut the macs we usedto use hung almost continously.

Yeah, I do a bit of everything as well. Well, editing's the bedrock, isn't it? If you know how to cut you can direct actors and plan shoots.

Sorry to disappoint you by being a mac AND final cut user! I suspect your experience of avid hanging on a mac is an old os9 version. Lots of companies still have those old systems because they paid so much for them. Now that Final Cut Studio 2 is out and you get a $25.000 grading app that Apple bought bundled in, along with mixed format playback without transcoding and 3D motion graphics – all for about seven hundred quid, plus that 8-core mac being out there, this may change.

Vegas is well featured, but I never met anyone in the industry who used it. I didn't like the way i had to turn my monitor upside down. ;)

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ May 27, 2007, 9:09 AM

Why is that?

Guessing, but perhaps because production companies prefer to take kids who've been drip fed in colleges over people who've taught themselves – like me – and perhaps Gavin.

Also, having skills in other areas isn't really seen as an advantage. If you're an editor, no-one is going to ask you record some sound.

Maybe we should set up our own company? :D