Sitcom Script Question, Help Needed Page 4

Lol, I just wrote a sketch and spent ages trying to figure out how to underline, wish I'd seen your post.

Okay I'm back with another question, this one I really have no idea how I should go about it.

I have a scene where its happening in a shop but then half way into the scene we realise that the scene is actually something that is on TV and the real characters are watching it in another room.

At the minute I've just written it like this in the description part:

ON THE SCREEN APPEARS THE WORDS “THIS IS A RECONSTRUCTION”. THE CAMERA PULLS OUT TO REVEAL A TV AND JAMES GRAHAME IS STOOD BY THE TV. JENNIFER GRAHAME-WILLIAMS, CHAS WILLIAMS AND CHRISSIE BAILEY ARE SAT WATCHING.

Then I've gone straight into their dialogue. But I should I really have started a new scene for that?

Hope that makes sense.

Type in...

"Pull back to reveal that we are watching a tv screen.

INT. ROOM. DAY

Dialogue."

I think that'll work. I was just reading a film script that does a reveal the same as yours.

Okay, so start a new scene. Same page or new page for the new scene. I'm guessing it should be on the same page seen as it's following straight on.

I though pull backs were against the law in comedy writing?

Really? Then how do you show someone watching TV? As in it goes from the TV programme they're watching to show them watching it.

But that's how you do it or you can just replace Pull Back with Reveal.

And keep the scene on the page. If you continue to start a new scene on a new page it's just a waste of space, unless the dialogue you have written does not fit.

Well I was kinda joking, I've read a few times that pull backs are not popular with writers, but I must have misunderstood.

You could just CUT TO: I'd just use the pull back and not worry about it.

Yeah. I think you may be thinking of "Pull Back and Reveal Jokes", demonstrated by Lee & Herring...

(paraphrased)

Stew: "So the other day I really needed the toilet and I was straining really hard and making lots of noise and then finally I released myself......and then I got off the bus AHH!"

Rich: "Oh you were on a bus Stew, I thought you were on a toilet on your own, but you confounded my expectations and from thence the humour arose"

Stew: "Now you try.."

Rich: "Okay, so I was on a bus the other day.."

-------

Mine isn't a joke, there is a joke before it and after it. But the actual pull back bit is just to link the TV scene to the next scene really.

Jesus Martin, what kind of script are you writing? You're making my brain hurt.

If you think about it, No-one can pull back from live action into a room with people watching the scene on a TV. Video shown on a screen and filmed would have a visible line structure and would obviously 'filmed' video. Presumably you're thinking of a video effect, where live action is matted onto a TV which we pull back from? The only way to make this look like an actual TV image is to add an effect which mimics line structure (or dot structure for a plasma) at some point during the pull back. This would need a transition to cover it or it would just 'appear'. The transition makes it obvious so there's no point.

This scene would be filmed with a cut away.

I've listed these as shots because it is all the same scene. Hotzappa11 has already shown you how to write it.

shot 1. The policeman shoots the bank robber.

shot 2. Phil and Wendy sitting on the sofa watching TV. (CAMERA)

shot 3. phil and wendy on the sofa, their POV (POINT OF VIEW) The action is shown taking place on the TV screen.

Are you gonna post this formatting nightmare of yours when it's finished? :)

It's a comedy in itself.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 17, 2007, 4:23 AM

Jesus Martin, what kind of script are you writing? You're making my brain hurt.

Taxis

Martin is our resident 'breaking the boundaries' writer, if you weren't already aware!

Dan

Ha the script really isn't that complicated. It's just these things happen once in the script so I want to get them right.

I think I'm just gonna go with "Pull back to reveal we are watching a TV sceen" and then just carry on with the scene. I'm not going to get bogged down in how it will be filmed, thats up to the director, I aren't planning for an audience sitcom, so the scene on the TV can be recorded first and then played on the TV.

I'm not sure if I will post it after its done, I may post snippets, but I really really like the script and I get scared that people will steal ideas, like any work that is put online. Not that I don't trust the people of this forum, but you get many lurkers that have no problem with stealing ideas...and this script is chocked full of ideas...not to toot my own horn or anything.

Oh, come on. Post it! My printer is ready and the envelope is already addressed. How am I supposed to get anywhere in this industry if you don't...

Dan

...lurks...