Sitcom Script Question, Help Needed

Right, here's what I'm stuck with, it's to do with formatting kind of and structure.

You know on sitcoms or any other TV programme for that matter, when a character appears on screen and beneath them in writing it says the characters name and maybe what their job is or where they are from.

For example Joe Bloggs appears on screen, underneath it says "JOE BLOGGS - BUSINESSMAN".

I want to do this in my sitcom but I'm not sure how you'd write that and explain it in the script. Does anyone know how to go about this?

Hi Martin

I'd just stick it in the scene action paragraph: "MAN APPEARS. THE WORDS 'BOB SMITH -- ACCOUNTANT' APPEAR ON SCREEN."

HTH

Dan

Chyron reads, "insert words here."

You should put:

SUPER: 'JOE BLOGGS - BUSINESSMAN'

(at least that's what they do in full length screenplays - 'super' being short for 'superimposed')

Ah thank you very much guys.

I have another question as well actuallly...

How would you set out a scene where you have the characters talking or whatever then it cuts to a short flashback and then returns to the original scene again?

Would you have to do that as three seperate scenes, or after you've returned from the flashback would you class it as the same scene?

Thanks.

It would be a different scene.

INT. HOUSE - DAY - FLASHBACK

I think that's how you lay it out. But I'm pretty sure it's a new scene.

From many of the scripts i've read it's done either like Leevil said or like this:

INT. - DAY

Flashback, etc.

CUT TO:

Back to the scene you were previously at.

Personally, I would CUT TO: and then CUT BACK:, especially if you want short and sharp cuts.

Dan

Yeah add cut to's but make it a new scene.

There's no such thing as CUT BACK.

flashbacks are deffinetly different scenes, this is the layout I used.

SCENE 2.EXT.CAMP FIRE.ONE YEAR AGO
(FLASHBACK)

then end it with

END FLASHBACK
CUT TO:

and no, there is no such thing as Cut Back :) (if there is ill eat my cat)

Apart from Channel 4 apparently.

You can caption it. just put caption appears.

Not quite sure why you would be wanting to do this...and if you are intent on doing it use the tool sparingly. It does get a little annoying to have a caption come up, when you have action and dialogue to take in as well. and how many people read these things?

I don't know if you should rely on this 'signpost' or actually develop them identity via the character and situation.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ May 10, 2007, 12:13 PM

There's no such thing as CUT BACK.

I'd use it in a script as it is more explanatory than having to describe you're returning to the scene and having to put more description in there. Especially if it's a short (less than a page) flashback for a specific gag (a la Family Guy/American Dad) ie.

(Oversimplified example)

Bob: I don't remember you saying you were going.

CUT TO: LAST WEEK

Bill: I'm going.

CUT BACK:

Bill: Well I did.

(No marks for actual comedy there)

Dan

Well, i've never seen it used but if you want to, go ahead, etc.