The all in one Consolidatorised Cricket Thread Page 8

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 10 2010, 12:33 AM GMT

Agreed, but shouldn't Bell get the number 5 slot ahead of Colly at 6?

In a struggling side, yes, but if it ain't broke why disrupt it?

Quote: Badge @ December 10 2010, 12:36 AM GMT

In a struggling side, yes, but if it ain't broke why disrupt it?

Only because Bell seems to have more runs in him and hasn't had the opportunity to bat for longer due to the successes of batsmen higher up the order. Colly would suit number 6 because I think he responds better in adversity. He's the bloke you want to steady a potentially sinking ship. He doesn't seem so comfortable getting-in and scoring when England are generally scoring well.

Except Bell is probably the most in-form of a lot of in-form batsmen, and can adapt to any situation at present - so is probably best suited to batting with the tail, IMHO.

The batting order has been wrong for ages, but it doesn't make sense to me to change it just at the point they have made one-thousand and million for the loss of only 6 wickets in their last two stabs.

True. Psychologically, it's also better if England change as little as possible (which is why it's a pity about Broad) and Australia have to do all the tinkering and head-scratching. On the plus side, with Broad (the all-rounder) out of the series, with the way England's top order are batting, we don't need to worry too much about bringing a pure bowler into the side.

Quote: Badge @ December 9 2010, 12:08 PM GMT

If you want to double up, the Aussies will retain North.

Quote: Rob H @ December 9 2010, 12:11 PM GMT

I'll see your virtual pound. But I agree they'll keep North.

North dropped. Along with Bollinger and Doherty. The Aussies are about to debut yet another spinner - the ninth - since Warne's retirement. They should have reinstated spinner Nathan 'Horrie' Hauritz, who is handy with the bat and has managed to get wickets when Pakistan play to lose. Confoundingly, the Australian selectors have not replaced the out of form and aging Ponting with young star keeper/batsman Tim Payne.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 10 2010, 12:40 AM GMT

Only because Bell seems to have more runs in him and hasn't had the opportunity to bat for longer due to the successes of batsmen higher up the order. Colly would suit number 6 because I think he responds better in adversity. He's the bloke you want to steady a potentially sinking ship. He doesn't seem so comfortable getting-in and scoring when England are generally scoring well.

Poor old Ian Bell has been up and down the order ever since he same into the team. The stats show that Bell bats best at 6. Leave him there untill Colly is no longer available and then re-assess. Bell has worked strongly on his game and seems to have the ability now to respond and start playing shots as the wickets fall at the other end.

Quote: Kenneth @ December 10 2010, 6:38 AM GMT

North dropped. Along with Bollinger and Doherty. The Aussies are about to debut yet another spinner - the ninth - since Warne's retirement. They should have reinstated spinner Nathan 'Horrie' Hauritz, who is handy with the bat and has managed to get wickets when Pakistan play to lose. Confoundingly, the Australian selectors have not replaced the out of form and aging Ponting with young star keeper/batsman Tim Payne.

All over the place aren't they!

Johnson wasn't good enough a week ago. Now he is. Without playing any cricket.

Australia are now gambling on a five man bowling attack at a time when their batting is now looking unusually vulnerable! It's a big risk but it means they are looking to try and win a test and not just draw, so the idea behind it is right I think. But it is does also look a bit desperate and sends a message to England that they may be panicking.

I was surprised they dropped Hilfenhaus anyway, he is very steady and accurate if not that dangerous. Johnson can't be any worse than he was in the first test and Bollinger was almost as innefective and wayward in his match. Johnson can be very dangerous when he clicks, and I think it's right he's back.

You have to worry about their spinner options though when they bring in a man with just five club games under his belt! They can't have any confidence in their leg spinner at all. When North looked a better spinner than Doherty in the last two I cannot understand why he's been dropped, he may have found his form with the bat as well, so I think they've made a potentially massive mistake there myself.

But I think the changes are pretty academic, because with a team full of confidence and mostly in form I see England tearing them apart again to make it 2-0. I just hope Strauss isn't too defensive in his gameplan, he needs to really attack a side which is in a rare crisis of confidence.

The BBC are saying that Tremlet has been given the nod.

Quote: bigfella @ December 15 2010, 5:52 PM GMT

The BBC are saying that Tremlet has been given the nod.

That's what I read too. Getting nervous now. I really can see us losing this Test. It'd be typical England.

All will be well.

I still can't see them getting 20 wickets.

Quote: bigfella @ December 15 2010, 7:43 PM GMT

All will be well.

I still can't see them getting 20 wickets.

It's strangely reassuring to read that. :) Wish I could agree though. :(

Are you going to watch any BF? I'm going to set my alarm a bit early and try and watch an hour or so in bed.

That's not an invite btw.

Quote: Rob H @ December 15 2010, 8:42 PM GMT

It's strangely reassuring to read that. :) Wish I could agree though. :(

Are you going to watch any BF? I'm going to set my alarm a bit early and try and watch an hour or so in bed.

That's not an invite btw.

Shame.

Yes, I'll probably tune in early.

I don't understand why it starts later this time. I thought Perth was closer to us and therefore should be at an earlier time zone if anything?

Quote: bigfella @ December 15 2010, 8:50 PM GMT

Shame.

Yes, I'll probably tune in early.

I don't understand why it starts later this time. I thought Perth was closer to us and therefore should be at an earlier time zone if anything?

I swear they change the time just to annoy me. My holidays start on Friday, so I certainly wasn't planning on getting up early. Angry

And before anyone says anything, yes 2:00 is waaaayyy too late for me these days.

This is the sort of score you like to see in a morning.

Hugely entertaining day's play.

Also entertaining is having Shane Warne in the commentary box (for the Australian broadcast) and listening to the other commentators slyly allude to his dalliance with Liz Hurley.