The all in one Consolidatorised Cricket Thread Page 6

Quote: Kenneth @ December 5 2010, 3:54 PM GMT

Can't see Ponting quitting before its over - or getting the boot until after.

Agreed.

So who will get the job?

Clarke? Hussey?

Quote: bigfella @ December 5 2010, 4:10 PM GMT

So who will get the job?

Clarke? Hussey?

Hussey is considered too old. Clarke has been groomed for it. Personally I'd like to see the Australian selectors grovel to Shane Warne (who they spurned) and offer him the captaincy to come out of retirement. Or they could replace the entire team with nude supermodels. Would make for shorter but more entertaining matches.

I follow Warne on Twitter.

Before the first test Vaughan was asking him what he would do if the selectors came begging.

He didn't say he wouldn't.

He said he was in great physical shape.

Another classic from TMS Over by Over . . .

"Why stop there? At the rate they were going they could have led by 400 given another 10 minutes. Or did the RSPCA (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Australians) step in?"

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 6 2010, 12:24 AM GMT

Another classic from TMS Over by Over . . .

I'm quite a fan of cricinfo.com's updates. Nothing clever, but never earnestly dull:

Just to add to the anxious tension about the weather, the umpires have their light meters out too. The ground lights aren't on though. Stuart Broad has been in the nets with a massive great strap around his waist, lifting a medicine ball with considerable difficulty, and bowling off about two paces. All in all, he doesn't look entirely mobile.

Plenty of people out on the field. A few England players, umpires and a full complement of ground staff. As well as some neon-jacketed security staff. Everyone waiting for this storm to break...

3.58pm And they're off for what appears to be bad light! The stadium lights have just been turned on ... the rain has not arrived yet. Clarke and Hussey marched smartly off as soon as the umpires decided the light wasn't satisfactory, but England didn't go anywhere and, indeed, are still out there.

4.00pm A fierce wind has now picked up, and the rain is starting to spit down quite heavily. This could be a lengthy delay, it's bucketing down.

There's something of a chance that the worst has been and gone. It looks like it is brightening up, and the wind is pushing the monstrous knot of clouds further south with every minute.

This is from Tom Fordyce's Blog on the BBC sport site

Midway through Monday afternoon, the Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology issued the following apocalyptic warning for the Adelaide area.

"Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall, flash flooding, damaging winds with gusts in excess of 90 km/h and large hailstones."

The detail - "Move cars under cover. Secure loose items around your property. Stay indoors, away from windows" - painted an even bleaker picture.

The Aussies are nine wickets down. Incredible scenes.

Yes!

:)

Oh happy day....
Oh happy day....

By an innings too!

I wish I understood this game.

On second thoughts - no I don't!

A lot of top pundits like Botham were saying England to win 3-1 and I thought no way, Australia don't lose heavily at home ever, but I think it may be more now - can't see where Oz'll get that one win from. I go for 3-0.

I agree Alfred. I just don't see us getting bowled out twice.

Broad being out makes the batting line up weaker, but not greatly.

Who would you bring in in his place? Given it's at the WACA and he had a really good season at a similar pitch for Surrey, I think Tremlett is the favourite. Don't really see Bresnan as a Test bowler, and Shahzad is still too inexperienced.