Lizzie And Sarah Page 7

I'm sure I read somewhere form the producer of this, that the original basic idea would have been for the pair to have played new characters each week.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 21 2010, 7:48 PM GMT

I'm sure I read somewhere form the producer of this, that the original basic idea would have been for the pair to have played new characters each week.

Yeah, sorry, I meant I'm interested to see what other characters they introduce and whether they can sustain the level of unrelenting bleakness that was there in the pilot.

:)

Is there an antonym for 'misogyny'? I wonder how the Beeb would have reacted to a sitcom about two henpecked husbands murdering their unfaithful wives?

The opening was downright depressing and once the girls started striking back it was all a bit obvious.

I got a call from my friend to tell me this was shit today so I just watched it to find out having never heard of it before. Loved it. Seeing as I was expecting to hate it, that's pretty good going.

Weighing in from colonial Canada - watched it tonight with the missus and she loved it. I like Jessica Hynes in anything (top chick in my opinion and needs to write more) but I did feel like it was a little strained, though quite watchable.

I think the two of them dreaming up new characters each time is a good idea, if the Beeb will give them that much latitude. As for the fuss about L&S going out late on a Saturday - the publicity/positive press that generated for the show was priceless. People love an underdog and this certainly pitted them against Auntie. Almost like they planned it that way...

Quote: Phil Cottrell @ March 24 2010, 6:23 AM GMT

Weighing in from colonial Canada - watched it tonight with the missus and she loved it. I like Jessica Hynes in anything (top chick in my opinion and needs to write more) but I did feel like it was a little strained, though quite watchable.

I think the two of them dreaming up new characters each time is a good idea, if the Beeb will give them that much latitude. As for the fuss about L&S going out late on a Saturday - the publicity/positive press that generated for the show was priceless. People love an underdog and this certainly pitted them against Auntie. Almost like they planned it that way...

So long as they pick a time and stick to it...

I thought it was meh. I think the problem was that I just could not relate to the characters at all. I found it hard to believe that anyone would put with being treated like that.

They're both good actors, and I think if they played other characters it might have a chance.

I'd have liked to have seen stronger female characters not just bullied old ladies, and slutty netballers.

Quote: AngieBaby @ March 24 2010, 9:33 PM GMT

I thought it was meh. I think the problem was that I just could not relate to the characters at all. I found it hard to believe that anyone would put with being treated like that.

They're both good actors, and I think if they played other characters it might have a chance.

I'd have liked to have seen stronger female characters not just bullied old ladies, and slutty netballers.

This was also my friend's opinion. She said she could have done with greater realism and a little more motivation on the men's part because they appeared to be bastards for no reason.

For me, all of that was just part of the joke. If it wasn't so massively exaggerated it just wouldn't have worked for me. I think I give quite a lot of leaway (I've never known how to spell that word...) on how much I identify with characters in comedy. It depends on the premise, really. Some things I love because I relate to them; other things I love for their surreality, exaggeration and clever dialogue. The fact the women were so overly tolerant meant that Jessica Hynz (have I spelled that right?) could really delivery lines like "he screams I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, then defecates...in my shoes" in the most powerful way they could be delivered. Descriptions of violence delivered with ridiculously incongruous calmness or pleasantness will probably always work for me...

The last sentence of this comment has just too many words in it. I get all adverby when I'm excited.