Lizzie And Sarah Page 2

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 15 2010, 9:18 AM GMT

I do like a dark comedy series if it's done well, well done to the LOG team for making this sort of thing popular. Really not sure if you can class it as sitcom though.

Oh blimey, let's not go down that route again! I asked Reece Shearsmith about this last year, and he said he didn't know what it was: I think we went for 'comic serial' or something.

Yeah well I bring it up only because of the money issue - if it comes out of sitcom's budget then it stops at least two sitcom series being made that year (BBC sitcoms being so cheap at present). If it comes out of comedy drama's budget (it should do) then fair enough. So I'd like to know what the Beeb class this sort of thing as. Personally I'd like to see more comedy dramas and dark comedy series being made, but then I'd really like to see a good quality location based sitcom more than anything.

Quote: Aaron @ March 15 2010, 11:28 AM GMT

Oh blimey, let's not go down that route again! I asked Reece Shearsmith about this last year, and he said he didn't know what it was: I think we went for 'comic serial' or something.

The League Of Gentlemen (series 1 and 2 at least) is classed as a "narrative sketch show"...

There, I've spoken, so that should be the last word on the matter. (I apologise for not clarifying this issue previously, I didn't realise that there had been so much debate about its classification.)

Pleasure to put your minds at rest. Wave

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 17 2010, 10:53 AM GMT

The League Of Gentlemen (series 1 and 2 at least) is classed as a "narrative sketch show"...

Now that sounds right.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 17 2010, 10:56 AM GMT

Now that sounds right.

Like so many things, if only Aaron had come to me first, I could have enlightened him. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 14 2010, 6:27 PM GMT

Just noticed this forthcoming pilot from Baby Cow:

Lizzie and Sarah - A new dark comedy written by and starring Julia Davis and Jessica Hynes - BBC Two Saturday 20th March 11.45pm.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/lizzie_and_sarah/

Sounds interesting.

I agree it sounds interesting but all the signs aren't good. It's buried at midnight on BBC Two and the Radio Times - which loves Julia Davis and Jessica Hynes - hasn't deemed it worthy of a preview. I'd advise going in with low expectation and then you might be pleased.

It got a good review in the Guardian though...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/mar/18/lizzie-sarah-bbc

I really enjoyed Nighty Night in a watching-through-fingers type way, so I'll record this I think.

When I was a little boy, working at a small radio station in London, Julia Davis & Jessica Stevenson came in and did a show called June Loves Janet. I'm guessing that, over time, this has grown into Lizzie And Sarah.

Ooh, interesting!

Well, I'm very intrigued to see it.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 15 2010, 9:26 AM GMT

my sitcom about two suburban 50-something women (played by younger actors) who are involved with stuff like the amateur dramatics

Seriously?
That's quite the coincidence.

Quote: zooo @ March 19 2010, 1:08 AM GMT

Seriously?

It happens; it's happened to me several times. Not that anyone's copied me, just that the same idea from someone else has found it's way to screen.

Yeah, it's just coincidence (the sitcom I had shortlisted in the Sitcom Mission was a version of it). It's just annoying when you're told no one would want something because of the style, subject matter and age of the main characters and then something very similar gets broadcast.

Quote: zooo @ March 19 2010, 1:08 AM GMT

Seriously?

No, just memes. Happens a lot.

Weird.
I can certainly imagine how frustrating that is.

Quote: zooo @ March 19 2010, 10:56 AM GMT

I can certainly imagine how frustrating that is.

Imagine how the makers of the film (My Five Last Girlfriends) that is currently being promoted on the BCG front page are going to feel when they realise they've inadvertently copied the premise of their story from Nicky Hornby's High Fidelity? >_<

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 19 2010, 11:01 AM GMT

Imagine how the makers of the film (My Five Last Girlfriends) that is currently being promoted on the BCG front page are going to feel when they realise they've inadvertently copied the premise of their story from Nicky Hornby's High Fidelity? >_<

It was based on a book by Alan De Botton, wasn't it?