Things that piss you off Page 807

If the lights had to go out during EastEnders people would warm to nuclear power.
Don't see much alternative to nuclear power which hopefully is a technological stepping stone to fusion.
I know 25-40 per cent of our energy could come from renewables given the political will, well good what about the other 60?

Quote: zooo @ January 11 2012, 12:49 PM GMT

I have a rather odd fascination for nuclear plants. I'd be quite happy to move in next door to one.
I wonder if the houses are cheaper? Surely they must be...

Laughing out loud Love Thy Nuclear.

I like them as well.

Stylish and sinister.

Abit like me in my new glasses.

Quote: sootyj @ January 11 2012, 12:47 PM GMT

Not the ones that reposess nuclear waste.

That were pioneered in...England.

I forgot that we were the world's nuclear dustbin for a few decades. As some of these radioactive elements have a half life measured in the thousands of years, you can't just reprocess them. It's not like your local recycling plant. If the waste material is kept within a strict environment, then it's fine, but if it leaks out, it'll be a leukimia fest.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 11 2012, 12:56 PM GMT

leukimia fest.

If it's anything like last year all the tickets will have sold out in the first five minutes.

Festering festivals, can;t get a ticket. Unimpressed

Quote: David Bussell @ January 11 2012, 1:26 PM GMT

If it's anything like last year all the tickets will have sold out in the first five minutes.

Laughing out loud

Quote: dellas @ January 11 2012, 1:29 PM GMT

Festering festivals, can;t get a ticket. Unimpressed

TB In The Park?

;) 'Chiropody' festival' 'Reddening Festival'?....

All these idiots clamouring for a 'Best Animal' Oscar. Don't get me wrong, I can understand a 'Best Animal Trainer' Oscar, but not an animal one. What's next? 'Best Car'?

Giving a dumb animal an award seems pointless and degrades the entire process.

Reminds me of those tards who throw birthday parties for their pets.

The animal trainer one would make more sense. In fact I'm surprised they don't already have one, at least on that separate Oscars day when they do all the boring technical awards.

Are there even enough animal films each year to make it viable to have a 'best animal actor' award?

Quote: zooo @ January 11 2012, 6:02 PM GMT

The animal trainer one would make more sense. In fact I'm surprised they don't already have one, at least on that separate Oscars day when they do all the boring technical awards.

Are there even enough animal films each year to make it viable to have a 'best animal actor' award?

I typed in 'Best Animal Trainer Oscar' into Google but all the stories were about giving awards to dogs and horses.

Considering that animals are being phased out in favour of CGI for a number of reasons - including for reasons of exploitation - it seems weird that animal lovers want to create a separate category.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 11 2012, 5:57 PM GMT

degrades the entire process.

That takes some doing !

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 11 2012, 6:14 PM GMT

That takes some doing !

Yes, I'm sure Robert DeNiro, Meryl Streep and Kevin Spacey would love to have their performances compared to Spunky the Dolphin in some unwatchable kids movie.

And just to add a little pomp to the proceedings, they could wheel the animals up on stage to shit all over the floor.

Trust me Old Rocker, a Best Animal Actor category would seriously degrade the Awards.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 11 2012, 12:45 PM GMT

Disposing of nuclear waste is a very expensive, laborious and time consuming business.

Though in part because the risk from exposure to low level nuclear waste has been wildly exaggerated.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 11 2012, 12:25 PM GMT

Wind farms are currently loss makers and have to be heavily subsidised by the Government. Same with Nuclear Power.

As demand increases due to emerging economies the costs of conventional fuels are going up, whereas as efficiency of alternative technologies increases costs are coming down. Energy security requires a long term view.

In a recent spate of storms, some of the turbines caught fire.

One I think.

Bio Fuels encourage Third World countries to grow non-food related crops for export with the resulting land deforestation and ensuing starvation.

Second generation technologies utilising lignocellulosic feedstocks do not have this issue.

Solar panels provide a very low conversion of energy and are manufactured with highly toxic chemicals. In some cases the environmental cost of production outweighs the benefits.

A rapidly evolving technology with lots of competing models; issues are being addressed.

Hydro electric power, especially in the form of dams should be our way forward in harnessing energy from nature. But they're not sexy or 'green' enough. They do work though, so they get my vote.

Many disastrous hydro-electric projects around the world, and in the UK the potential energy contribution is limited. Wave power is a more promising long term bet for the UK.

Viability of renewables depends on having a range of technologies and a Europe wide smart grid capable of delivering the electricity from where it is produced to where it is needed, e.g. so when the wind turbines are not turning in the English Channel we are using surplus energy from solar arrays in Spain.