Things that piss you off Page 781

:$ Choosing Christmas pressy when last year you got a big one? sooo hard, He will hate everything I choose.

Quote: dellas @ December 7 2011, 6:17 AM GMT

:O They are trying to blame over 50's for spreading 'Chlamidya' and other ISD's gosh who is responsible? Old Rocker?....

Chance'd be a fine thing ! . . .

Ellie! She sends me about 600 PMs begging me to return, then she's not even here to welcome me back with outspread legs arms! Angry

Quote: KLRiley @ December 1 2011, 8:04 PM GMT

The new BBC homepage.

It's great, embrace change and get with it daddy o.

Where are the BBC weather map complainers now?

Quote: youngian @ December 7 2011, 11:36 AM GMT

It's great, embrace change and get with it daddy o.

Where are the BBC weather map complainers now?

I don't want to embrace change. I want to be able to find stuff, which I can't using this new home page. I have reset my home page to the news front page as that format remains one where I can distinguish between things. Sorry, but at my age borders in contrast are a helpful device to show where things start and finish.

Youtube videos of people lip syncing, making up their own version of popular songs. It was briefly amusing when YouTube was new- Not so much now.

It doesn't really piss me off but yes, lip syncing is pretty pointless. People who do it should be more creative, at least then it would give someone a reason to watch it.

The current state of the average Chinese Takeaway in the UK:

..is bloody awful.. last night was the end for me. "Pork Lettuce Wraps" (£4.50) which was some iceberg leaves in a brown paper bag with what I can only describe as a slop of chopped-up tiny pieces of reconstituted ham in some sort of "gravy", which looked and tasted like it had come out of a budget dogfood can; "Crispy Stuffed Crab Claws" (£3) which was 4 small (from frozen-not fresh) claws which were neither crispy nor stuffed; "Singapore Rice Noodle" (£4.50) which I had asked for extra extra hot- (a proper one should have chopped-up birdseye green chillis).. so what they did was liberally coat it with curry powder.

It was absolutely terrible.

*mad*

..but I know why this has happened: the average turnaround in ownership of Chinese Takeaways is around 1 year to 18 months - they sell up, the new people come in.. and they don't know what to do, so they make it up on the fly.. then they sell on and the whole thing just continues downhill.

..and we still buy it.

Where's Eddie Lim when you need 'im? Where's Mrs. Wong? Oh.. they're in London.

I love my local Chinese takeaway and the Indian one as well. Sounds like you have bad luck or I have good luck? Can't find a GREAT chip shop though.

Quote: Leevil @ December 8 2011, 11:08 AM GMT

I love my local Chinese takeaway..

I note you used the singular, there. You've only got the one? If not, the others are great, too?

Sounds like you have bad luck or I have good luck?

Well.. the more different ones I try, the unluckier I get..

..and you forgot a third option, but I won't go there.. that would be bad taste.

Can't find a GREAT chip shop though.

There's nearly a great one in North London (can't remember where, exactly- within 2 miles of Kingsbury?).. it's a Jewish family establishment and you can have your fish fried in batter made from matzo meal.. very nice.. it often has queues that go down the street.

..but the chips? Sheeeesh.. every chippy I've ever been to, fries those fat soggy things in oil that is not hot enough. Better to get your fish from one place and your double-cooked shoestring french fries from elsewhere, imo...

..with mayonnaise..

..chili sauce.. or chilli sauce..

..and pickled onions.

Mmmmmmmmm..

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ December 8 2011, 11:36 AM GMT

I note you used the singular, there. You've only got the one? If not, the others are great, too?

Well there is another one but that's closer to town and I live in the suburbs. Generally I didn't think you could go wrong with Chinese. Unless you go to a really scruffy looking one.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ December 8 2011, 11:36 AM GMT

There's nearly a great one in North London (can't remember where, exactly- within 2 miles of Kingsbury?).. it's a Jewish family establishment and you can have your fish fried in batter made from matzo meal.. very nice.. it often has queues that go down the street.

..but the chips? Sheeeesh.. every chippy I've ever been to, fries those fat soggy things in oil that is not hot enough. Better to get your fish from one place and your double-cooked shoestring french fries from elsewhere, imo...

..with mayonnaise..

..chili sauce.. or chilli sauce..

..and pickled onions.

Mmmmmmmmm..

I grew up at the seaside where fish & chips were a staple diet. I do like french fries but I don't think I prefer them over regular chips.

Quote: Leevil @ December 8 2011, 11:45 AM GMT

Generally I didn't think you could go wrong with Chinese.

Well.. I think those days are long gone..

.. but hey.. there's still genuine german beer. I've never had a bad one yet.

I've eaten lots of good Chinese takeaway. It's effing delicious.

Are you saying the bad ones aren't even run by Chinese people? I don't think I've ever been to one that wasn't Chinese run.

Quote: zooo @ December 8 2011, 1:04 PM GMT

I've eaten lots of good Chinese takeaway.

So have I.. but not in the last 8-10 years or so.

It's effing delicious.

Well..it sure as hell should be.

Are you saying the bad ones aren't even run by Chinese people?

No, not at all. I'm saying that the bad ones are run by chinese people who (try to) learn their cooking on the fly over here, who are not from a professional background. They haven't got a clue what they should be doing, so they make it up as they go along.

Where I live now (UK south coast urban) is full of such places.. and my nearest "good" one is 10 miles away, which is too far from me for home delivery.

What da hell.. I still got Pot Noodle to fall back on..

You should move up North. FULL OF IMMIGRANTS...

Contributing to society.