Things that piss you off Page 1,831

'I hope this letter finds you well.' Obviously it found me or I wouldn't be reading it.

Oh, the irony. I happened to notice one of the Proms this week, was dedicated to the music of David Attenborough's nature series, such as Blue Planet etc., and yet, with his soft-spoken voice, that music is the one thing that ruins all of them for me, as I cannot hear what he is saying.

WHY they think documentaries need music is beyond me.

"...and here we see the reclusive Herc, hiding in his den. But what's happening now? He's emerged, and he's angry! He's baring his teeth, and - aaaargh!"

Ripping the conductor to pieces, as he fails to fend it off with his baton.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2022, 9:31 AM

Ripping the conductor to pieces, as he fails to fend it off with his baton.

Lucky they're not on buses these days then.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2022, 9:22 AM

Oh, the irony. I happened to notice one of the Proms this week, was dedicated to the music of David Attenborough's nature series, such as Blue Planet etc., and yet, with his soft-spoken voice, that music is the one thing that ruins all of them for me, as I cannot hear what he is saying.

WHY they think documentaries need music is beyond me.

I very much agree.We watched one episode recently where he was under water in a mini sub and his words were drowned out by loud Star Wars type "music"

Yeah, I find that with a lot of modern programmes and films. I usually have the subtitles switched on if available.

With modern TV's that have Dolby Atmos, it can be worse.
The sound comes from 7 speakers at the back of the TV, all firing in a different direction.
If you sit 1.5M away it is fantastic but back on the couch, it's all merged into one.
You are forever f**king about with the sound controls to be able to hear clearly what is being said.

We know the meaning of suffering.

Then WHY do they do it?!?! I read many letters in various media of people complaining, but nobody does anything about it.

It's now making me suspicious that someone/it has a strangle hold on the whole of the entertainment industry - if that is the case they need to tell the Musicians' Union or whoever to go and f*** themselves.

**EDIT Just read that last bit again, and realise I must have had a brain misfunction.

It's at the mix stage.
The sound editor - and the whole production team - has heard the dialogue fifty times and knows it by heart.
Consequently he can make it out even if it's way back in the mix.
It was the bane of my life when mixing commercials.
I used to take the mix out to play it to the girls on reception - until I found out they'd had been instructed to always say it sounded fine!
It's the same with fast cuts over things you're meant to read - increasingly a problem with information revealed via text messages - editors know what it says so don't factor in time to read - and lingering on a phone screen is ugly, so the director doesn't much like it either.

That's true with the text on screen, be it a phone screen or a translation in subtitles at the bottom - it's gone too fast.
Especially those with dyslexia. I often have to ask 'what did that say?

I use the pause button, and/ or rewind a tad.

ITV Hub. Anyone else? They stop, start, get stuck. And then I'm trying to watch Ridley but no subtitles available. Why not with all of those (Northern and Irish) funny accents.

ITV Hub makes the BBC iPlayer look like a well-oiled machine.
Which it isn't.