Things that piss you off Page 1,822

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th April 2022, 9:45 AM

I've remembered it now. You booked your time slot and got a ticket like on the tube.

What at any station?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th April 2022, 9:45 AM

I you could probably stay as long as you liked - but you couldn't leave and come back again later.

Sounds like Hotel California

Or Stalag 13.

"In my opinion" or even "in my honest opinion" (or IMO or IMHO as it has become known).

Of course it's your opinion. You wouldn't be passing anybody else's opinion off as your own.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th April 2022, 8:34 AM

"In my opinion" or even "in my honest opinion" (or IMO or IMHO as it has become known).

Of course it's your opinion. You wouldn't be passing anybody else's opinion off as your own.

Back in the day you might of.

Sound mix on films broadcast on TV.
Increasingly, the dialogue seems to be getting deeper and deeper into the mix.
Watched Inception with my son last night.
By the time the volume was up high enough to hear the dialogue, the soundtrack was genuinely rattling the windows.
And my TV isn't a particularly cheap model.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if the dialogue came as a separate track so you could adjust the balance at home?!
Half the trouble is that when the sound technicians are mixing the track, they've heard the dialogue so many times they almost don't need to hear it.
When I used to work on commercials I'd drag someone in off the street to see if they could hear the dialogue.
Used to wind the engineer up something rotten - I was invariably right though.

Chris Nolan films often have a sound problem. Tenet wasn't great, and let's not get started on nobody having a clue what Bane was on about in The Dark Knight Rises.

Yes - Nolan is particularly guilty.
But generally it seems to be getting worse - on TV, too.
Last Years TheUnderground Railroad was unwatchable without subtitles - the hissing of crickets was literally louder than the dialogue.
I would invest in a soundbar or whatever if I thought it might make a difference - even readily adjustable EQ controls would be a help.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th April 2022, 9:37 AM

Sound mix on films broadcast on TV.
Increasingly, the dialogue seems to be getting deeper and deeper into the mix.
Watched Inception with my son last night.
By the time the volume was up high enough to hear the dialogue, the soundtrack was genuinely rattling the windows.
And my TV isn't a particularly cheap model.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if the dialogue came as a separate track so you could adjust the balance at home?!
Half the trouble is that when the sound technicians are mixing the track, they've heard the dialogue so many times they almost don't need to hear it.
When I used to work on commercials I'd drag someone in off the street to see if they could hear the dialogue.
Used to wind the engineer up something rotten - I was invariably right though.

You're getting old! (Like me)

If it's a modern TV with Dolby atmos, you can adjust the 'dynamic range' in the sound settings.
Or, as you thought, buy a soundbar. But make sure it's one where you can alter the speech level
LG do one at £300 that will do it

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th April 2022, 7:47 AM

If it's a modern TV with Dolby atmos, you can adjust the 'dynamic range' in the sound settings.
Or, as you thought, buy a soundbar. But make sure it's one where you can alter the speech level
LG do one at £300 that will do it

I'll look into that - the speech level setting is the crucial bit.
I've fiddled wit the various sound/dolby etc settings to no avail.
The main problem with them (on my set anyway) is you can't do them 'live' - makes it very hard to judge the difference if you have to keep going back and forth.
Tamks for the info.

There are three Codent (Gas) large vans sitting in the road, each with one man in having his mid morning break - it is a cold, so all the vans' engines are running, to keep them warm.

Ahh, bless.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th April 2022, 10:26 AM

There are three Codent (Gas) large vans sitting in the road, each with one man in having his mid morning break - it is a cold, so all the vans' engines are running, to keep them warm.

Ahh, bless.

...and 'aving a fag?

All this save the earth bull....
A lot is total virtue signalling with no actual action.
Take cardboard straws for instance. We have some juice boxes in the fridge that have in big promotion letters
'Now with paper straws - we care about the enviroment'
They are in a plastic wrapper with plastic cellotape holding them on.
I looked online and hardly any drinks companies use paper wrappers for paper straws.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st May 2022, 1:35 PM

I looked online and hardly any drinks companies use paper wrappers for paper straws.

I remember the waxed cardboard orange drinks you used to get in the cinema, when the lady with the tray came on at "half time", and the waxed paper straws were in a very thin tissue tube, which you bit the end off and then sent it flying across the cinema by blowing hard on the straw, which was still in situ.

This manoeuvre performed best if you were in the front row of the circle. ?

Why whenever I post I get the message "This page isn't working right now" but then it obviously is?