Things that piss you off Page 1,630

>_<

Quote: zooo @ 27th October 2015, 10:40 PM GMT

I bloody love Halloween. I wish we could adopt Thanksgiving too.

Thanking God for the fact that they'd f**ked off and left us?

Hah. Well, we don't celebrate what you're supposed to at Christmas (Jesus), so I suppose I could do the same at Thanksgiving and be thankful for, erm... Norman Reedus and cats.

If it's an excuse to feast on a big roast dinner, then I'm in! I'm all for adopting the American traditions that involve food, Halloween (candy) included.

Quote: zooo @ 27th October 2015, 11:18 PM GMT

Hah. Well, we don't celebrate what you're supposed to at Christmas (Jesus), so I suppose I could do the same at Thanksgiving and be thankful for, erm... Norman Reedus and cats.

Halloween is fun: the little kids get to dress up and the parents get to drink beer and walk them around the neighborhood. And when your kids are grown you just drink beer in your driveway with the neighbors and hand out candy.

Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday. Nobody even thinks about the colonist stuff, it's just an excuse to gather with your family and have a daylong feast. Everyone makes great food, there's no hassle with presents or religion or greeting cards or getting dressed up; it's just a peaceful, enjoyable day. With 4 kinds of pie and a fridge full of beer. :)

Totally. Any excuse to have tons of food and decorate a bit and I'm in!

Hand out candy? (I think he means sweets).

I wouldn't give sweets to a kid I know let alone one I don't know.

I'm sure I've said this before, but Hallowe'en was a tradition in Scotland long before the 'trick or treat' shite started. From Wikipedia ...
"In North America, trick-or-treating has been a Halloween tradition since the late 1920s. In Britain and Ireland, the tradition of going house-to-house collecting food at Halloween goes back at least as far as the 16th century, as had the tradition of people wearing costumes at Halloween. In 19th century Britain and Ireland, there are many accounts of people going house-to-house in costume at Halloween, reciting verses in exchange for food, and sometimes warning of misfortune if they were not welcomed.[1] While going house-to-house in costume has remained popular among Scots and Irish, the custom of saying "trick or treat" has only recently become common."

Children here go 'guising' - dress up, learn a poem/song/joke and perform it in whatever houses they visit and are given fruit/sweets. My mother would only let me visit houses where we knew the people, and likewise when my sons were young, mothers took it in turns to chaperone them from house to house.

On the other hand, bloody bonfire night only began to catch on here in the 50s/60s. I can never understand why we bother with it - not as if it was OUR parliament that he tried to blow up (and James the Sixth wasn't greatly popular here as far as I know). I could see it far enough - I don't have animals but the noise is a damned nuisance.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2015, 5:46 PM GMT

I wouldn't give sweets to a kid I know let alone one I don't know.

The cranky old bastards who are too cheap/mean to hand out treats just turn all their lights off and huddle in the dark while everyone else has their fun.

Hey DaButt how was that orgy?

Quote: DaButt @ 28th October 2015, 7:07 PM GMT

The cranky old bastards who are too cheap/mean to hand out treats just turn all their lights off and huddle in the dark while everyone else has their fun.

So you got tricks and treats?

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2015, 5:46 PM GMT

Hand out candy? (I think he means sweets).

Give it up Chappers, he's American and that's what they call them over there - save your bile for some Brit who used a Stateside word.
Then let them have it!! Unimpressed

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th October 2015, 8:32 PM GMT

Give it up Chappers, he's American and that's what they call them over there - save your bile for some Brit who used a Stateside word.
Then let them have it!! Unimpressed

That's right, kick 'em all over the sidewalk..

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 28th October 2015, 8:36 PM GMT

That's right, kick 'em all over the sidewalk..

Hey Buddy FYI, it's............... :P

Quote: DaButt @ 28th October 2015, 7:07 PM GMT

It's Pagan and falling into the hands of ISIS.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2015, 11:07 PM GMT

It's Pagan and falling into the hands of ISIS.

Laughing out loud