Favourite character name

What's your favourite name for a character in a British comedy? Film, sketch, sitcom, whatever.

I'm partial to Kenneth Williams in Carry On Don't Lose Your Head as Citizen Camembert (le grande fromage). Never fails to make me smile.

I am fully aware that this may be quite a short thread...

Ted Maul, by a country mile.

Show/film? Actor?

Quote: Griff @ January 6 2010, 12:15 AM GMT

Gussie Fink-Nottle.

Reminds be of Frobscottle. A tremendously silly name; good nomination!

(Jeeves & Wooster.)

Quite like Count Arthur Strong.

Is he a Count? Did his parents name him 'Count'? Did he change his name by deed poll to 'Count'?

Or does he just call himself that?

:)

You have to be careful typing that ! ;)

...Which reminds me of Pip Bin and Harry Biscuit. :D

Quote: Aaron @ January 6 2010, 12:15 AM GMT

Show/film? Actor?

Ted Maul?

Chris Morris' finest creation.

Ann Elk

Sir Arthur Greeb-Streebling

Bluebottle?

There's one from a Monty Python sketch I found milk-shooting-out-of-nose hilarious before I was old enough to understand its etymology.

She explodes.

Quote: Griff @ January 6 2010, 12:31 AM GMT

Mrs. N?

That's the one.

Anne Hand.

From League of Gents. It just always makes me laugh.

NOT Captain Darling - Christ they milked that tired old pantomime gag for all it was worth. Worst all of is that I saw a 'celebration' of Blackadder and they were all patting themselves on the back for coming up with such an hilarious name - twats.

My favourite name is Slarty Bartfast from Hitchhikers Guide and of course, Echibod Crane - the unborn son of Niles Crane from Frasier.

I agree about the pantomine thing. The Darling name worked in Blackadder because it was that type of show. Most of the shows I like the ultra realisitc stuff don't really go in for comical names too much (non that I can think of). Though in saying that using the surname Royle in The Royle Family is probably the most contrived use of a name ever and it still worked beautifully.

Quote: Griff @ January 6 2010, 12:55 AM GMT

The point of calling him Darling wasn't so that it would be funny every time they used it.

Well it certainly worked for me in that respect. Unfortunately, the studio audience thought it was the funniest thing ever and would burst into fits of guffaws whenever some said 'What do you want Darling?'

It was amusing the first time, but it's constant repetiion and the way the cast all went on about it and how 'genius' it was made me want to stick a boot through my telly.

*RC goes back to his sitcom and changes the name of the main character from Darren to Captain F**kwangle Arsetickler McSpunklover and declares himself a genius*

I still giggle every single time any of them call him Darling. :$