Favourite character name Page 6

Larry - 'Ooh shut that door will ya Rachel luv, there's a terrible draught and me chilbains are playing up something chronic, they really are. Heyhoe.'
Rachel - Smashes the effete limp one with her cricket bat in the head. 'Oops, sorry darling.'
Larry - 'Ooh Rachel luv, watch me hairdo will you, that cost me four pound and six shillings at Monsieur Sassoon's, tut, really!'

Selwyn Froggitt.

As in Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt!...

...And as in "Oh no, it's that f**king awful Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt! on ITV tonight!", a popular catchphrase of the late 1970s.

Raymond Luxury Yach-t (pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove) has got to be an all time classic, along with the name of my mate, Mike Hunt

Biggus Dickus, Nautius Maximus, any name beginning with "R" from the Life of Brian. Mrs.CJ from Reggie Perrin. "She doesn't mix well."

http://pebbles09.blogspot.com

Further to The Day Today's Ted Maul, I'd like to add correspondents Peter O'hanraohanrahan, Jonathan Sizz, Collaterlie Sisters, Jacques 'Jacques' Liverot and Valerie Sinatra. As well as Brass Eye's Accelerata Jengold, Libby Shuss, Alabaster Codify and (my personal favourite) Austen Tesseltine.

From Viv Stanshall- Old Scrotum-the wrinkled retainer

Round the Horne had loads of good character names such as;
J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock
Dame Celia Molestrangler

From Python- Michael Smoketoomuch

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 20 2010, 2:16 PM BST

Selwyn Froggitt.

As in Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt!...

...And as in "Oh no, it's that f**king awful Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt! on ITV tonight!", a popular catchphrase of the late 1970s.

I shouldn't like it, but I do.

Back on the theme of Fry and Laurie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npR64qy2qY&feature=related
Derek Nippl-e

Being a Carry On fanatic, I could mention many wonderful names, but I'll just stick to my favourites.

Sid James - Bill Boozey - Carry On Up the jungle
Sid James - Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond - Carry On Up the Khyber
Barbara Windsor - Goldie Locks - Carry on Again Doctor

There are so many to choose from

Murray Mint is a favourite of mine.

Windy Miller !

From Fry and Laurie.

"Control and Mrs Control".

The Soup Nazi, descriptive,simple, effective, funny.
What more can you get out of a name.

Has to be the Carry On characters for me. Doctor Nookie, Arthur Upmore, Professor Crump, Doctor Prodd, Councillor Sydney Fiddler, Augusta Prodworthy, Mildred Bumble, Cecil Gaybody, Ida Down, Dawn Brakes... :)

Oh and Dickens was a master of name-creating. Wonderful creations like Luke Honeythunder, Vincent Crummles, Wackford Squeers, Dick Swiveller(!), Seth Pecksniff, Sir Leicester Dedlock and of course Ebenezer Scrooge.

I often think J K Rowling must have got her inspiration from Dickens when it came to naming characters because some of hers are equally evocative. For instance you just know a a character called Severus Snape isn't going to be pleasant. And how could you not like someone called Dumbledore?

Quote: Hyde150 @ January 7 2010, 5:29 PM BST

Stuart Foot's my booking a taxi name, for some bizzare reason.

You use a pseudonym when booking a taxi? Eh?

Alf Ippititimus.