Which sitcoms ended too early? Page 9

Quote: zooo @ February 18 2013, 11:54 PM GMT

Ha, I wonder what the kids look like now.

Jamie Lucraft (Jake) looks exactly the same, Ann Gosling (Georgia) is recognisable and I can't find Matthew Clarke who played Philip haha

Is Georgia still acting or anything? Or is she some 30/40 year old doctor in Surrey.

There's Father Ted obviously. That show had more than three short series in it. Sadly, circumstances dictated that there would never be anymore series or specials. I think they could have made a decent spinoff from it though; picture Fr. Dougal being sent to a parish where he would have been in charge. Or a series focusing on the goings on at the parochial house on Rugged Island.

Fun At The Funeral Parlour was a great show that only ran for 2 series and is really overlooked. Even here, on a website dedicated entirely to British comedy, it doesn't even have its own forum thread. Now that is an overlooked show!

I would love to have seen another series of Chance In A Million. Tom Chance as a father would have been very interesting to watch.

The Thin Blue Line, Black Books, Blackadder (in another era), and Are You Being Served, Again?/Grace & Favour are others that should have had more episodes in my opinion.

Early Doors. One of the more recent triumphs in comedy. Only 12 episodes of the show were made, but I felt it had legs to develop the characters so much more. This show is far better than The Royle Family, which has now become so devoid of humour and become very stupid at the same time.

FLight of the COnchords

Here's one idea about sitcoms ending too early.

Any sitcom that ends without being "wrapped up" ends too early. I always feel as though I must have lost the last DVD when a comedy ends without some kind of resolution. This is probably more true of dramas -- Heartbeat!, damn them -- but it's also true of sitcoms.

What sitcoms ended "too early" simply because they ended too abruptly? I think of Next of Kin unless you think Maggie getting a Mother's Day card from Phillip counts.

Does anybody remember Tequila & Bonetti? It wasn't great but I liked it. It ended after only 12 episodes or so. There were far worse US shows that were more successful.
Ok, it wasn't a bona fide sitcom, but it wasn't a crime or drama show either.

'Better Off Ted' and 'Ben & Kate'.

Pete Versus Life, only 11 shows. 5 in the 1st and six in Series 2. It was down to Series 2 only getting half the viewing figures of the 1st. Channel 4 should have put it on any day from Monday to Thursday, not Friday. Really funny in part and I can't stand Rafe Spall in anything else. It was a Comedy Lab pilot commisioned before airing, then they lost all faith in it. It would do really well on a Sky Sports type channel or Nuts TV at a push. Sky are getting so much better now at doing sitcoms that others fail at.

Edited by Aaron - capitals and spaces.

George and Mildred. Had a few more years in it but Yootha Joyce died.

On The Buses

Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere

The Liver Birds

George & Mildred

Open All Hours

HEBBURN

Only two seasons. Great, present day, up beat, real life like, situational comedy!

Game On - it had another series at least!

Quote: george roper @ 1st August 2014, 5:18 PM BST

On The Buses

Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere

The Liver Birds

George & Mildred

Open All Hours

I thought Open All Hours had a pretty long run. I would happily lose the existing 1 series of Max & Paddy in favour of a third series of Phoenix Nights.

Oh yes I would love a third series of Phoenix Nights.