Which sitcoms ended too early?

Another series of Fawlty Towers would have been fantastic.

Another Spaced - altho Series 2 showed the writers were too busy chasing other opportunities or the idea was running out of legs (especially with the heavy - too heavy - reliance upon popular culture self-referential parody (example - Espisode one - the Matrix)

Another Futurama - why did they end a fantastic show? Ratings, I guess.

Another Filthy Rich and Catflap.

Quote: SlagA @ October 8, 2006, 6:06 PM

Another Futurama - why did they end a fantastic show? Ratings, i guess.

Good news on this front... They're writing / drawing another series of Futurama as we speak (but we won't see it until 2008 apparently). Like Family Guy the execs changed their minds when the DVD sales landed on their desk.

(And, yes more Fawlty would have been great; although that said it could have gone down hill so I'm happy sticking with these perfect 12 episodes)

I thought Alan partridge could go on forever!! :D

Would have liked a few more Good Guys. It was such a good show and it deserved more than 3 series.

The Thin Blue Line.

I'm not sure about the Alan Partridge comment. I thought that the second series of I'm Alan Partridge was much weaker than the first in every way. Coogan's acting wasn't quite as good, the writing certainly wasn't, Michael's inclusion seemed forced and the locations weren't as inspired as the travel tavern.

I would have liked to have seen more of Marion and Geoff. It is still the best thing that Rob Brydon has done I think and I doubt whether he will match it as long as he does broader shows like Keith Barret and Annually Retentive.

Thin Blue Line
Smoking Room
Office Gossip

Not so sure about The Smoking Room really. There's definitely scope for more, but after Robin's revelations and all, where would there be left to go? I'm just not entirely convinced that it would 'work' in quite the same way which it has done.

Quote: Nick @ October 9, 2006, 1:10 PM

I'm not sure about the Alan Partridge comment. I thought that the second series of I'm Alan Partridge was much weaker than the first in every way. Coogan's acting wasn't quite as good, the writing certainly wasn't, Michael's inclusion seemed forced and the locations weren't as inspired as the travel tavern.

I would have liked to have seen more of Marion and Geoff. It is still the best thing that Rob Brydon has done I think and I doubt whether he will match it as long as he does broader shows like Keith Barret and Annually Retentive.

it isnt just i'm alan partridge im on about. did you ever see knowing me knowin you? AHA!!! :S

Yes I've seen Knowing Me Knowing You but how many more original guests and ideas could they have come up with? They did it for 2 series (if you include the radio) and 1 special and then wisely decided to move on. I wish that they'd also moved onto something new after the first series of I'm Alan Partridge as well.

Nick, I agree with you up to a point re. I'm Alan Partridge - the second series wasn't as good as the first one. I thought it was a bit disappointing when first broadcast but it is one of those shows that improves the more you watch it, especially the episodes with Dan Moody and the James Bond-athon.

I want more Smoking Room. Apparently so did the writer, so he must have had some more ideas.
Robin's revelations were perfectly written and performed though, so it would have to be pretty good to keep up to the same standard.

I was surprised when The Smoking Room went. I thought there was potential for one more series. But maybe Robert Webb would've been too busy for That Mitchell and Webb Sound/Look, and if I had to choose one or the other I'd go for the sketch show.

It wuld have been nice if 15 Storeys High had been given another series but I guess that nobody really watched it. It seems increasingly difficult nowadays to have a show that is both critically and commercially successful.

Father Ted has got to be number one!!

Unfortunately after the death of Dermot Morgan they ended the show which I think was the right decision but if there was a show that could have run on longer then this was it.