Which sitcoms outstayed their welcome? Page 3

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 2, 2006, 9:44 AM

I agree with the comment that The Simpsons has gone on way too long. The episodes now are very hit and miss, and tendto sully the memory of the classic years.

Agreed. I still tune into the Simpsons cause you still always get the odd gem but its not as consistent as it used to be. Think they have overplayed the celebrities and Homer's slapstick too much. Will still be very sad when it finally goes though.

extras - out stayed its welcome from the first episode

man 2 man - is that a sitcom? who cares it is shat

simpsons - god like in its prime but needs to f off now

2 pints of lager and no jokes

little britain - over hyped stock sketch show

bo selecta - milk it for all its worth why dont ya

theres loads more but it pains me to think of them

i've always thought malcom in the middle went on for too long.
and generally what everyone else put.

On The Buses should have ended when Arthur left.

Frasier, by five years.

Twelve episodes of Fawlty Towers was much too many.

Quote: beaky @ 23rd January 2014, 5:50 PM GMT

Twelve episodes of Fawlty Towers was much too many.

HUH? Insanity!! Should have gone on for at least 2 more series!

Any American sitcom. They run them into the ground until they become utterly detestable.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 28th January 2014, 10:23 AM GMT

Any American sitcom. They run them into the ground until they become utterly detestable.

What about the really good ones that don't last past a few seasons..?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 28th January 2014, 10:24 AM GMT

They'll eventually come back and be run into the ground.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 28th January 2014, 10:23 AM GMT

Police Squad! must be the exception that proves the rule.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 28th January 2014, 1:31 PM GMT

Police Squad! must be the exception that proves the rule.

Yes, but they didn't stop it for artistic reasons but because it was a flop with the ratings. They would have killed it artistically if it proved to be commercially successful. Greedy bastards.

2 of my favourite sitcoms ran for 2 or 3 series more than they should have

'Allo 'Allo!, just became too much like a pantomime from about Series 6. Every week was the same, "we can disguise ourselves as..."

Hi-De-Hi!, once Jeffrey Fairbrother left, it went rapidly down hill. Could not take to the new boss at all.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 28th January 2014, 10:24 AM GMT

Teary Er okay, that's a US 'season'? 20-25 eps at least, a few? let's be conservative and say 4. The ones that don't get more than 100 episodes aired you mean? Oh I'm sure they're fine and could do at least another 100 before they start to wear. :S
Me and Matt do not share the same planet, I don't think. :|

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th February 2014, 8:32 PM GMT

Teary Er okay, that's a US 'season'? 20-25 eps at least, a few? let's be conservative and say 4. The ones that don't get more than 100 episodes aired you mean? Oh I'm sure they're fine and could do at least another 100 before they start to wear. :S
Me and Matt do not share the same planet, I don't think. :|

You're just showing your age. Back in the day, when only the networks made them, American sitcoms were 20-25 episodes at most. In the 80s cable channels started producing 6-12 episode series and it's become the cable standard. I'd bet more sitcoms were produced by cable channels than the big 4 networks in 2013 by a good margin.

Back to topic, I just watched all of the already mentioned Frasier. While it does dip in quality around series 8, as soon as Daphne's mom leaves the cast and Wendie Malick joins it totally picks back up. Series 11 has some great episodes.