The Kevin Bishop Show - Series 2 Page 3

I liked it. There were some sketches that failed (like the crime drama one and the psychic taxi driver) but I thought the rest were of good standard in terms of observation, impressions and especially lighting and camera work. It's subtle things like that that really make or break spoofs like this. The Gritty Bafta bit was a great send up of those kind of popular dramas.

Quote: Griff @ August 1 2009, 4:27 PM BST

Does comedy always have to be clever?

No. Preferably not.

This was mostly pretty awful, I thought. Too much of it was obvious and Bishop clearly overates imself as a performer. His Hugh Laurie wasn't really up to much.

Good bits: On The Buses (Good Corden impression), the Frost/Nixon piss takes, and Gritty Bafta.

On the whole, though, with such a pacy show and such a long list of writers, you'd really expect a better hit rate.

Quote: Griff @ August 1 2009, 4:27 PM BST

Does comedy always have to be clever?

No, but preferably yes for me!

I did enjoy this episode though. Made me laugh.

Funniest line so far was 'Danny Dyer as Oliver Reed' -- that did make me laugh a lot.

Dan

I enjoyed it. Highlight for me was one line on the news ticker tape that read something like "Update: Pete Townsend's book still not out". That made me laugh.

I thought it was alright as well. Not brilliant but it had its moments. Gritty Bafta.

It didn't quite work for me, even though I got the feeling it should do. Perhaps the impressive technical production overshadowed whatever content there was. And I found myself not warming to Mr Bishop, he came across as unpleasant.

Also, I agree with the 'seen it all before' criticism to an extent. All that stuff with Bishop and his mates playing Hollywood stars playing other roles; all very Comic Strip.

But it almost worked, really it did! Cate Blanchett as Emu could have been hilarious, had there only been the right words used.

This has to be one of the worst shows on TV. The sketches are unbelievably predictable, I mean Hugh Laurie in House acting like George from Blackadder, wow never saw that coming. How he continues to enjoy success is beyond me.

This show has all the wit and invention of a bunch of 6th formers putting on a comedy show for an audience of bemused nursing home residents.

Bemused
A bunch of sixth-formers put on a comedy show for a bunch of nursing home residents. We focus on audience members Albert, Maude, Bert and the ultra-glamourous Ophelia, ex-theatre starlet dumped into a nursing home by her famous golfer son, Atticus Bipolar. Albert is so confused by the show that he makes a pass at Bert, and Maude drops her Worther's Original at a sketch involving sexting. With Noel Edmonds.

Dan

:D

I'd watch that.

I always get the impression this show was written in 30 mins. I also don't believe Mr Bishop himself is a funny person in any way.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 5 2009, 12:38 PM BST

I always get the impression this show was written in 30 mins. I also don't believe Mr Bishop himself is a funny person in any way.

He's a tiny man.

I like the fact that you called him "Mr Bishop", DD. Raises the whole tone of the site when we refer to over-rated performers in an Austenian manner.

I too have come to the conclusion that, whilst a man with whom I am not overly familiar, Mr Bishop seems to possess the air of one whose faith in his comedic abilities exceeds the general view of polite society.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 5 2009, 12:46 PM BST

I like the fact that you called him "Mr Bishop", DD. Raises the whole tone of the site when we refer to over-rated performers in an Austenian manner.

Well said Mr Walker.