The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 339

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 12 2012, 3:50 PM BST

Come down to London, you'll meet loads who prefer it was played at Wembley. And as harsh as this might sound, a lot of Liverpool fans just want their team to finish with some silverware this season and don't care if the game is played on the moon on Christmas Day with everyone in their pants, as long as Liverpool win.

Just had a quick look at the Liverpool Echo online and far from being against Liverpool going to Wembley, they are just relieved that they can report some good news about LFC.

It's not a prominent topic of debate, just a consensus of opinion. It's pointless wasting too much time debating the stupidity of the FA. Sure the most important thing is that the game is won, not where it's won. Trophy number two this season would very nice. But if we win Saturday, it has to be said all these Wembley trips are going to take a toll on the wallet.

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 1:34 PM BST

I can't see that anybody would have a problem with that, other than if they have an agenda against Liverpool both as a club and a city. Davies I think has that.

Bollocks! Davies has no agenda. It's just common sense.

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 1:34 PM BST

There would be no need for the FA to know we are playing a cup game that weekend at the start of the season. Once it became apparent that the fixture was on that weekend, it is entirely feesible to schedule it for Old Trafford not Wembley, especially since it is going to mean 60-70 thousand from the city having to travel to London for it. Until they built the new Wembley, that is how semi finals used to get scheduled.

So they wouldn't play a League game then?

And the Semis on different days is more to appease TV.

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 2:03 PM BST

*Oh dear. There's the agenda I'm talking about.

No agenda - apart from the fact that loveable Scousers were involved in two of the biggest football disasters of recent times.

Quote: Chappers @ April 12 2012, 9:42 PM BST

Bollocks! Davies has no agenda. It's just common sense.*

So they wouldn't play a League game then?**

And the Semis on different days is more to appease TV.***

No agenda - apart from the fact that loveable Scousers were involved in two of the biggest football disasters of recent times. ****

*Davies once put the city of Liverpool into Room 101. His dislike of the city and its people has been quite open in the past.

**Not sure what your point is, but no we wouldn't play a league game.

***It would be quite possible to appease TV with both semis on the same day kicking off at different times. This has happened in the past.

****As I've said, Davies doesn't like the city. It's also no surprise that most people who come out and support his stance, can't seem to do so without having thinly veiled digs at scousers or LFC about things that are irrelevant to the discussion (such as racism or Heysel).

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 11:31 PM BST

***It would be quite possible to appease TV with both semis on the same day kicking off at different times. This has happened in the past.

Really? At Wembley?

90,000 people in for 1pm kick off and out for a 7pm kick off?

Logistical nightmare I would have thought.

I wouldn't like to be on the tube that day !

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 13 2012, 12:01 AM BST

Really? At Wembley?

90,000 people in for 1pm kick off and out for a 7pm kick off?

Logistical nightmare I would have thought.

I wouldn't like to be on the tube that day !

Ha. No, I am talking hypothetically with the games at two different venues. In this case, Liverpool/Everton at Old Trafford, and Spurs/Chelsea at Wembley.

But that's never going to happen until the Wembley invoice is paid in full.

And given the ££££££££ mentality of football today, probably not even then.

I've heard a lot a people complaining about Wembley for the semis but forget about it - the contract was for at least 10 years, might've even been for 20-25 because it helps pay for the stadium.

They cocked up over Wembley in my opinion - the national stadium should've been more central but if they had to develop the site they should've done all they could to refurbish it instead. The place was iconic and cup finals are just not the same now. The teams walking out from behind the goal and the 39 steps were just some of the things that made it special.

OK, it was a toilet in the end but it could've been saved. You only have to look at the Olympic stadium in Berlin (built 1936) which hosted the 2006 World Cup Final to know that. It doesn't even look all that different to how Wembley did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1205010/ATHLETICS-Why-Berlin-perfect-place-host-track-fields-great-show.html

Quote: Tuumble @ April 13 2012, 10:40 AM BST

They cocked up over Wembley in my opinion - the national stadium should've been more central

Ba-what?!

Move the national stadium away from the capital, the most populated city in the country, that's next to 5 international airports and has every amenity a foreign visitor could wish for?

Do all this, just so a bunch of poor people who live in the sticks don't have to buy a train ticket?

I think not!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 13 2012, 1:20 PM BST

Ba-what?!

Move the national stadium away from the capital, the most populated city in the country, that's next to 5 international airports and has every amenity a foreign visitor could wish for?

Do all this, just so a bunch of poor people who live in the sticks don't have to buy a train ticket?

I think not!

In my opinion. :)

I wasn't suggesting putting it behind a village post office near Nuneaton or anything. OK, London has a lot of airports but in my experience getting to and from Wembley is generally a nightmare. At least if it was somewhere near Birmingham driving and parking become an option. I just think they could've had a refurbished Wembley and had something else elsewhere though I accept that there would be the risk of each taking business from each other thus making them more difficult to sustain.

Quote: Tuumble @ April 13 2012, 2:09 PM BST

At least if it was somewhere near Birmingham driving and parking become an option.

I have been to somewhere near Birmingham and it was only two mutants short of being Fallout: New Vegas.

Now, the Olympics is a different story - I wish they could have put the entire thing in Sunderland or Derby or somewhere else I'm never likely to go to at any time in my entire life.

I remember Davies putting Liverpool into Room 101. He said his reason for doing it was the fact that Scousers were always going on about how great their sense of humour was. I'll admit, I did hear a lot of Scousers going on about that back in the '80s, but I think that was partly because there were so many TV shows, and even films, set in the city back then. Loads of writers from the city seemed to find success at around the same time. Also, a lot of comedians hate coming here to do shows, because the audiences have a reputation of shouting things out, and trying to be funnier than they are. This must be particularly annoying for mediocre comedians like Davies.

Another thing I remember about his Room 101 appearance, was that he said no funny people had ever come from the city. I actually jotted down a huge list of people at the time, proving him totally wrong. I might try and find it later, because I think I've still got it somewhere.

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Arthur Askey
Ken Dodd
Alexei Sayle
Peter Serefinowicz
Leonard Rossiter
Eddie Braben (Morcambe and Wise's writer, who wrote the Andre Previn sketch, amongst other things)
Kenny Everett (went to school with my mum)
Craig Charles
Tom Baker (he was funny on Little Britain, and in Dr. Who)
Mitch Benn (probably the country's funniest musical comedian, most famous for The Now Show)
John Culshaw and Jan Ravens (from Dead Ringers)
Kate Robins (provided many voices on Spitting Image and Eurotrash for years)
Paul O'Grady (Lily Savage was funny back in the '90s)
Frank Cotterell-Boyce (my neighbour who wrote films A Cock and Bull Story and 24-Hour Party People)
Neil Fitzmaurice (co-wrote Phoenix Nights, and played the character Ray Von. He also plays Geoff in Peep Show)
Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances)
Bloke who played Richard in Keeping Up Appearances, and was most recently in The Old Guys
Roger McGough (funny poet who used to be in The Scaffold)

Quote: catskillz @ April 13 2012, 6:37 PM BST

I know this is in effect 0ff-topic but.....

Arthur Askey - quite funny.
Ken Dodd - apparently the funniest man alive.
Alexei Sayle - NOT funny - just shouts a lot.
Peter Serefinowicz - mediocre.
Leonard Rossiter - a good comedy ACTOR.
Eddie Braben (Morcambe and Wise's writer, who wrote the Andre Previn sketch, amongst other things)- OK - quite good.
Kenny Everett (went to school with my mum)- an original.
Craig Charles - Another mediocre comedian - a comedy ACTOR.
Tom Baker (he was funny on Little Britain, and in Dr. Who)Strange!
Mitch Benn (probably the country's funniest musical comedian, most famous for The Now Show)- never heard of him.
John Culshaw - just a smartarse. Not funny.
and Jan Ravens (from Dead Ringers)- again not funny. Both are ACTORS.
Kate Robins (provided many voices on Spitting Image and Eurotrash for years)- Funny.
Paul O'Grady (Lily Savage was funny back in the '90s) - but he's not now!
Frank Cotterell-Boyce (my neighbour who wrote films A Cock and Bull Story and 24-Hour Party People)- never heard of him.
Neil Fitzmaurice (Co-wrote Phoenix Nights, and played the character Ray Von)
Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances)- again a comedy ACTOR.
Bloke who played Richard in Keeping Up Appearances, and was most recently in The Old Guys - ACTOR.
Roger McGough (funny poet who used to be in The Scaffold)- and the rest - yes - quite original.

So most of them are comedy ACTORS. Not funny in themselves. Surprised you didn't include the Liver Bird writers.

Also Kenny Lynch, Jimmy Tarbuck and some of the "Comedians" from the 1970s.

If they make you laugh, they're funny, aren't they? I mean, come on now, LEONARD ROSSITER?!!! The man's a comedy God, for Rising Damp alone.

Oh sorry. The funniest thing in Liverpool is Everton FC.

Everton have been rubbish today.