The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 338

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ April 10 2012, 4:35 PM BST

Wow, Derry loses his appeal; outrageous shenanighans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2127754/QPRs-Shaun-Derry-banned-game-red-card-upheld.html

A shocking decision Gerry but our 3 nil win against Swansea tonight made up for it :D

Just a shame united couldn't do us a favor and stuff Wigan. :(

Quote: Will Cam @ April 11 2012, 11:35 PM BST

A shocking decision Gerry but our 3 nil win against Swansea tonight made up for it :D

A great result for you Will, and an unbelievable result for Wigan. A terrible night for the Villa though, we'll be four points off the relegation zone when we lose our game in hand against Bolton.

*panics*

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ April 11 2012, 11:59 PM BST

What's up with Taarabt? Got him in my DreamTeam.. and he's forgotten how to score. Oh well.. there's always next season.

Has he played well art all this year, I was under the impression he had flopped in the premier league.

What Alan Davies actually said about Liverpool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XBPA5drFo&sns=fb

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 12 2012, 12:23 PM BST

I totally agree with Alan Davies and that has nothing to do with Chelsea. Just why do liverpool refuse to play then. As AD said you don't get Manchester United whinging (for a change) or Bradford or anything about Heysel.

Arsenal have Wigan next and we're bound to thrash them, so have no fear supporters of crap Premier League teams, we look forward to playing in your freezing cold, extremely racist and half empty stadiums next season.

Why, my heart goes all aflutter when I hear that the featured game on MoTD will be Norwich vs Sunderland or Bolton vs Blackburn.

Quote: Chappers @ April 12 2012, 12:30 PM BST

I totally agree with Alan Davies and that has nothing to do with Chelsea. Just why do liverpool refuse to play then. As AD said you don't get Manchester United whinging (for a change) or Bradford or anything about Heysel.

I think he's right too. They should have to play. Surely it's a better tribute anyway, if they win.

Oh come on! Another hilarious result. It was great watching Red Nose get so angry. Heart attack on the agenda I'm sure. Oh sorry - I forgot. He doesn't have a heart. Maybe he should go to see the Wizard.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 12 2012, 12:32 PM BST

I think he's right too. They should have to play. Surely it's a better tribute anyway, if they win.

Maybe Chelsea could trawl through all their records or supporters to see if anything terrible happened to them too on that date and then refuse to play. Looks like the FA in their usual inconsistent way have opened up another dustbin of worms.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 12 2012, 12:23 PM BST

It's stupid and insensitive, especially in the tone he chooses to express his opinions. The 15th of April each year is the day that Liverpool hold a memorial service for those that died at Hillsborough. It's a day on which the people of the city and those affected by the tragedy remember the dead, and reflect on the events of that day in Sheffield. We don't play on that day, because such a large section of our community are focusing on something much bigger than football. Nobody is in a position to tell that community what they should or should not being doing on that day, or how they choose to commemorate the death of people they loved. Nobody.

Chelsea having to play on the Sunday is unfortunate for them. But this also comes down the inflexibility of the FA, and their stance that all FA cup semis are to now be held at Wembley. It would be a more sensible option for Liverpool and Everton to play at Old Trafford, and Chelsea/Spurs could be played at Wembley the same day.

I think Davies offering £1000 to the Hillsborough fund was a mistake as it was purely a damage limitation exercise. He wouldn't have offered that cash otherwise so the motive for doing it was totally personal.

I follow Liverpool and I do have sympathy for the point of view but it's still relatively recent and I know they hold a number of memorials for the event so by not playing on the day makes it easier for the club to be involved.

That said, I'm not totally comfortable with it because as has been pointed out, I don't believe United, Bradford or Rangers have asked for any dispensations because of 'their' disasters.

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 12:55 PM BST

We don't play on that day, because such a large section of our community are focusing on something much bigger than football.

So all of the shops are shut? Nobody goes to work? There's no public transport like on Christmas Day?

Of course, there was no way that the FA could know that Liverpool would be playing in a cup match on that day when the season began, so what do they do? Schedule everything in future on the off chance that Liverpool might play?

Do Everton play on that day every year or do they join an entire city in mourning and if not, then why not?

To be honest, unless the game is against Arsenal, you lot can play your game at 4.30am on a Tuesday morning.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 12 2012, 1:12 PM BST

So all of the shops are shut? Nobody goes to work? There's no public transport like on Christmas Day?

Of course, there was no way that the FA could know that Liverpool would be playing in a cup match on that day when the season began, so what do they do? Schedule everything in future on the off chance that Liverpool might play?

Do Everton play on that day every year or do they join an entire city in mourning and if not, then why not?

To be honest, unless the game is against Arsenal, you lot can play your game at 4.30am on a Tuesday morning.

Bit factious mate, I never said the entire city goes the service, I said a large section of our community do. Of course the city operates as normal, with excpetion that thousands (including Everton fans) go to Anfield to pay their respects, including all Liverpool players, and coaching staff. On the 15th, that is the focus of the club and a large number of the community, not playing football. Although Everton fans also lost loved ones at Hillsborough, it affects Liverpool more as a club, so there is no question of asking Everton to not play on that day.

I can't see that anybody would have a problem with that, other than if they have an agenda against Liverpool both as a club and a city. Davies I think has that.

There would be no need for the FA to know we are playing a cup game that weekend at the start of the season. Once it became apparent that the fixture was on that weekend, it is entirely feesible to schedule it for Old Trafford not Wembley, especially since it is going to mean 60-70 thousand from the city having to travel to London for it. Until they built the new Wembley, that is how semi finals used to get scheduled.

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 1:34 PM BST

Bit factious mate, I never said the entire city goes the service, I said a large section of our community do.

My factiousness was triggered by your overly emotive argument.

As much as we believe that FA Cup Semi Finals are only for Premiership teams, spare a thought for the lower league clubs who've never had a chance to play at Wembley - the spiritual home of English football. I can totally understand the reasoning for the FA to schedule games at this neutral venue, particularly to please fans from all teams, no matter their size, stature or the state of their pitch.

Liverpool are a big club with massive support and whereas some of the authentic Scousers might not be able to make it down for the match, there will be plenty of racists fans from elsewhere in England and Ireland who will take the seats and cheer the team on.

If Liverpool FC turned it round and said they were dedicating the game to those who lost their lives at Hillsborough and donated the gate receipts to the survivors, then I'm sure that would be a fitting tribute also.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 12 2012, 1:49 PM BST

Liverpool are a big club with massive support and whereas some of the authentic Scousers might not be able to make it down for the match, there will be plenty of racists* fans from elsewhere in England and Ireland who will take the seats and cheer the team on.

If Liverpool FC turned it round and said they were dedicating the game to those who lost their lives at Hillsborough and donated the gate receipts to the survivors, then I'm sure that would be a fitting tribute also.**

*Oh dear. There's the agenda I'm talking about.

** Why don't you get in contact with the club and propose this? You seem to be in a better position than those whose friends and family members died at Hillsborough of how they should pay their respects that day.

On the point about the Wembley semi. I don't know one Liverpool or Everton Fan who wouldn't rather have this game played at Old Trafford. If smaller clubs want to play there, then great, they should have that option. But in scenarios like this Saturday's game, a little common sense could have been used over the FA chasing money for the cost of building Wembley. Fans 2nd money 1st, as always.

Quote: Trabs @ April 12 2012, 2:03 PM BST

I don't know one Liverpool or Everton Fan who wouldn't rather have this game played at Old Trafford.

Come down to London, you'll meet loads who prefer it was played at Wembley. And as harsh as this might sound, a lot of Liverpool fans just want their team to finish with some silverware this season and don't care if the game is played on the moon on Christmas Day with everyone in their pants, as long as Liverpool win.

Just had a quick look at the Liverpool Echo online and far from being against Liverpool going to Wembley, they are just relieved that they can report some good news about LFC.