The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 218

As a Liverpool fan it's been my job despise Neville for his whole career, and despise him I have. I have given that man so much abuse when he's played at Anfield, I've said and sung things that I really should be ashamed of. But deep down, I have always respected him and everything he's achieved in the game. He quite rightly hated us back, he rubbed our noses in it when he had the chance to do so, and fair play to him. If I was a Man U fan I would have loved him all the more for that. Neville is to United what Carragher is to us. He would die for the cause, he's never bullshitted, he's never shirked responsibilty. In an age of mercenaries and prima donnas, Neville has been an old school player that should be used as an example for future generations. I'm going to miss that ugly bastard, and giving him abuse.

On another note, Kenny Dalglish is making things happen for us.

Couldn't care less that a footballer has retired. The only downside that I can see is that it means one more dull c**t to endure as a pundit. Miss the old days when they would just f**k off and run a pub.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 3 2011, 9:39 AM GMT

Couldn't care less that a footballer has retired. The only downside that I can see is that it means one more dull c**t to endure as a pundit. Miss the old days when they would just f**k off and run a pub.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I'm not going to be a hypocrite and heap praise on him now he's retired. I bet Ferguson didn't include him in his European squad so he had a huff and gave up.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 3 2011, 12:53 AM GMT

On the subject of Right backs, I think Rafael has made that position his own this season and will expect him to get Nevile's number 2 shirt next year.

He's started off the way Ferguson would like - 2 red cards. Another petulant dirty bastard to replace him.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 3 2011, 12:53 AM GMT

He probably is the best right back to grace the Premier League. It shows for United really in the Premier League era defence wise, in the PL, we've probably had the two best keepers to play in the Premiership (Schmeichel and Van Der Sar), the best RB in Gary Neville and definetly the best left back in Denis Irwin. Great defences are important, Vidic is brilliant now and a fantastic leader, Rio's staying fit and being reliable, having my doubts about Evra these days, but our defencive ability is often not credited, but I think it's worthy of a mention. It's why we're so succesful.

No bias there then.

Quote: Chappers @ February 3 2011, 9:26 PM GMT

*No bias there then.

Unlike all your opinions about United?? ;)

Just been looking at England's performances in major championships since 1980. Even when we got to the semi-finals in 1990 and 1996 we had a total of 3 wins and 8 draws in 12 games after 90 minutes over the course of both tournaments.

Just to reiterate, I'm talking about games over 90 minutes and not extra-time and penalties. For balance I've included those stats at the bottom of the page.

1980 - P3 W1 D1 L1
1982 - P5 W3 D2 L0
1986 - P5 W2 D1 L2
1988 - P3 W0 D0 L3
1990 - P7 W1 D5 L1
1992 - P3 W0 D2 L1
1996 - P5 W2 D3 L0
1998 - P4 W2 D1 L1
2000 - P3 W1 D0 L2
2002 - P5 W2 D2 L1
2004 - P4 W2 D1 L1
2006 - P5 W3 D2 L0
2010 - P4 W1 D2 L1

1980-2010 - P56 W20 D22 L14 in 90 minutes
1980-2010 - P56 W22 D20 L14 including extra-time
1980-2010 - P56 W23 D14 L19 including extra-time and penalty shoot-outs

Beat in 90 minutes: Spain, France, Czechoslovakia, Kuwait, Poland, Paraquay (2), Egypt, Scotland, Holland, Tunisia, Colombia, Germany, Argentina, Denmark (2), Croatia, Trinidad & Tobago, Ecuador

Lost in 90 minutes: Italy (2), Portugal (2), Argentina, Republic of Ireland, Holland, Soviet Union, Sweden, Romania (2), Brazil, France, Germany

Beat after extra-time and penalties: Belgium, Cameroon, Spain
Lost after extra-time and penalties: (West) Germany (2), Argentina, Portugal (2)

Listening to him talking about "defending the integrity of David Moyes...", I see that Moyes has become the latest football manager to start talking about himself in the 3rd person.

What a colossal tosspot. :(

That's depressing reading, evoking depressing memories. :( :(

Ta, Tuumble. Teary

Quote: Rob H @ February 5 2011, 12:41 AM GMT

That's depressing reading, evoking depressing memories. :( :(

Ta, Tuumble. Teary

Ha! Sorry about that...and I'm about to make it worse... :)

From beating Paraguay in Mexico 1986 to beating Scotland in 1996 England played a total 15 major championship games and won only one inside 90 minutes...against Egypt.

Argentina 1-2
Republic of Ireland 0-1
Holland 1-3
Soviet Union 1-3
Republic of Ireland 1-1
Holland 0-0
Egypt 1-0
Belgium 0-0
Cameroon 2-2
West Germany 1-1
Italy 1-2
Denmark 0-0
France 0-0
Sweden 1-2
Switzerland 1-1

P15 W1 D8 L6 F11 A18

Joey CUNTING Barton. :(

Arsenal f**ked up big style.

Where's Putters? Probably dancing around the room with top off.

Wenger on the radio now and he's not happy. Mind you, I'd be pissed too.

Quote: Badge @ February 5 2011, 5:26 PM GMT

I don't mean the monkey from Pipkins by the way.

Should've been 5-4, where's a woman assistant referee when you need one. Best the miles onside!

Quote: Badge @ February 5 2011, 5:26 PM GMT

:D *dances*

Well done to my team, Palace; 1-nil winners on the day.