The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 217

News just coming in that Gary Neville has retired with immediate effect. Though on recent outings, his name in the starting lineup has given me nervous breakdowns, you can't deny his service to Man United has been impeccible. It will be weird a Man United without Gary Neville, I've never known one. One of the true reds. Legend.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 2 2011, 6:52 PM GMT

News just coming in that Gary Neville has retired with immediate effect. Though on recent outings, his name in the starting lineup has given me nervous breakdowns, you can't deny his service to Man United has been impeccible. It will be weird a Man United without Gary Neville, I've never known one. One of the true reds. Legend.

You mean since you've been watching them at Old Trafford?

I remember feeling weird watching Everton for the first time, without Neville Southall in goal.

Quote: catskillz @ February 2 2011, 7:50 PM GMT

You mean since you've been watching them at Old Trafford?

I remember feeling weird watching Everton for the first time, without Neville Southall in goal.

I do remember a United without Neville, but only just. I always remember Paul Parker as the first RB, but very vague. I don't remember a United without Giggs though.

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 2 2011, 7:55 PM GMT

I do remember a United without Neville, but only just. I always remember Paul Parker as the first RB, but very vague. I don't remember a United without Giggs though.

I didn't realise you were so young. I expected you to be over 30.

Quote: catskillz @ February 2 2011, 8:02 PM GMT

I didn't realise you were so young. I expected you to be over 30.

29 now.

I can't remember united without Giggs. Or can I?! Yes, I can. The first Man Utd game I watched was the 1990 FA Cup replay and I don't believe Giggs made his debut til the next season. And I'm 28.

I remember Alex Stepney playing goal for United and he was in the 1968 European Cup winning team. Admittedly I wasn't born at that time but I was around in 77-78 when he finished.

The scary thing is is that there are some people I saw play such as Kevin Keegan who retired, became a manager, and then retired again. There's something not quite right about that. Worse still are players like Ian Callaghan who are so old that they will be turning 70 next year. [shudders]

Anyone remember Kenny Burns at Forest? Again, someone you remember playing shouldn't look like a pub landlord...

...having said that he looked like pub landlord even then...

Have you ever drunk in The Cherry Tree in Peterborough, Tuuumble? I went in there once and found it a pleasant establishment.

Quote: Ben @ February 2 2011, 10:30 PM GMT

Have you ever drunk in The Cherry Tree in Peterborough, Tuuumble? I went in there once and found it a pleasant establishment.

Many times - it used to be my local. I'm at the other end of the city now so don't get that way quite so often. In fact, I can tie-in a football tale with that place.

On 16 May 2001 I found myself on pub crawl down Oundle Road which is the road the Cherry Tree is on. It was the night of the Liverpool 5 Alaves 4 UEFA Cup Final so it made for some quite surreal viewing seeing the score changing so much between pubs. We ended up disrupting a pub quiz in the Cherry Tree and spilt beer on the pool table...or was it in The Swiss Cottage? One of the two...

Quote: Tuumble @ February 2 2011, 10:40 PM GMT

We ended up disrupting a pub quiz in the Cherry Tree and spilt beer on the pool table.

Sounds like a wild night.

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 30 2011, 12:12 AM GMT

Chappers, you too could have a body like this for £1000 ! :D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3378243/Trucker-John-Retters-1000-Manchester-United-tattoo.html

What an arsehole! I don't mean - oh well. Whatever!!!

Quote: Tuumble @ January 31 2011, 1:11 AM GMT

According to Man United's 1999-2000 season review on Wikipedia, you'd think the FA Cup as a competition simply didn't take place that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999%E2%80%932000_Manchester_United_F.C._season

With the furore surrounding their non-participation at the time you'd think it warranted an acknowledgement of some description.

I don't think you can ever forgive them for that. They made the competition a farce as someone who got knocked out was reinstated. Why couldn't they just put a weak team out? They usually take the piss out of the League Cup.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 2 2011, 11:05 PM GMT

Sounds like a wild night.

Laughing out loud

I wasn't suggesting that THAT behaviour was particularly wild but was merely highlighting an incident from that evening. We did get some stern looks though. ;)

Quote: Jack Massey @ February 2 2011, 6:52 PM GMT

Thank f**k that dirty bastard has given up - or maybe not as we could've done with a few penalties. Maybe Ferguson told him to because he's so old and slow now.

Neville's replacing Andy Gray on Sky, last I heard.

Quote: Chappers @ February 3 2011, 12:04 AM GMT

Thank f**k that dirty bastard has given up - or maybe not as we could've done with a few penalties. Maybe Ferguson told him to because he's so old and slow now.

Beautiful tribute to him at the end of MOTD tonight. Closet United fans Hansen and Lawrenson who I have the utmost respect for despite there Liverpool links, said quite rightly the best RB to grace the Premier League. That and ending the show with highlights of Neville with The Stone Roses 'I wanna be adored' playing brought a tear to the eye.
On the subject of Right backs, I think Rafael has made that position his own this season and will expect him to get Nevile's number 2 shirt next year. If he's out, he tends to play O'Shea who I don't rate at all, if I was Fergie I'd be using Wesley 'legend' Brown more who I still think has a lot to offer. His only real season where he was a regular at right back for United was 07-08 where he played more than any other player and we won the League and Champions League.
He probably is the best right back to grace the Premier League. It shows for United really in the Premier League era defence wise, in the PL, we've probably had the two best keepers to play in the Premiership (Schmeichel and Van Der Sar), the best RB in Gary Neville and definetly the best left back in Denis Irwin. Great defences are important, Vidic is brilliant now and a fantastic leader, Rio's staying fit and being reliable, having my doubts about Evra these days, but our defencive ability is often not credited, but I think it's worthy of a mention. It's why we're so succesful.