Current radio comedy Page 93

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 4 2012, 7:28 PM BST

The Castle tonight featured absolutely up to the minute jokes about Tony Blair, Chilcot and, for your dad, Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac (The Green Manalishi was written by Peter Green, by the way, not Mick Fleetwood).

The Castle tonight was a repeat.

He could have been listening to it through a time warp.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 4 2012, 9:59 PM BST

The Castle tonight was a repeat.

Even if one were listening on the day the Chilcot enquiry opened, Green Manalishi would still be 39 years old.

Yay, Bleak Expectations is back. The series 2 opening episode was brilliant. :D

Nice to have Ed Reardon back if not one of the finest eps. I've never thought Ed in a relationship works terribly well. Despite the Ed-isms, it undermines the character's strengths. Still, the stubborn delivery guy insisting he was ringing Ed's doorbell - depite Ed not having a doorbell - was a gem.

So glad The News Quiz is back! I need Sandi Toksvig, Jeremy Hardy and Andy Hamilton in my life.

Quote: Harridan @ April 7 2012, 8:43 AM BST

So glad The News Quiz is back! I need Sandi Toksvig, Jeremy Hardy and Andy Hamilton in my life.

So, like me, you really don't need Rick Wakemen.
Stick to the keyboards, Rick.

Quote: Nogget @ April 7 2012, 11:39 AM BST

He does keep popping up on comedy shows, doesn't he? I think 'grumpy old men' has convinced a lot of people that they are comedy geniuses.

Quote: Harridan @ April 7 2012, 8:43 AM BST

It was very good this week. But the last series was getting very tired: it's to be hoped they can keep this standard up.

Quote: Nogget @ April 7 2012, 11:39 AM BST

Woah - Have you ever tried to sit through a thirty minute Rick Wakeman keyboard solo? Trust me he is doing less harm on comedy panel games.

Quote: Tursiops @ April 8 2012, 10:25 AM BST

Woah - Have you ever tried to sit through a thirty minute Rick Wakeman keyboard solo? Trust me he is doing less harm on comedy panel games.

Ah, prog-bashing, the traditional pursuit of the last century, as practised by the crypto-fascist critics who tried to dictate what our tastes should be. All terribly old-fashioned now of course, and actually it never stopped people liking bands like Yes, who have remained popular throughout, whilst the critics' musical darlings have all faded into obscurity.

I grew up listening to prog rock, thank you very much, and stuck with it doggedly right through the fatuous punk era. No-one has ever dictated my taste in music. Some prog rock is still listenable, even some Yes, but a lot of it is not, and Wakeman's overindulged keyboard twiddling has been a problem on just about everything he has ever played on, from his soupy intro to the Strawbs' Song of a Sad Little Girl to the overblown pomp of his own musically negligible solo efforts.

I wouldn't say his keyboard twiddling is a problem on Hunky Dory.

Henning Knows Best. Not in an obvious comedy slot - 9.30 thursday evening - but an enjoyable half an hour of observational comedy. Perhaps the Beeb ought to commission a sitcom from him...

Quote: Tursiops @ April 8 2012, 1:03 PM BST

I grew up listening to prog rock, thank you very much, and stuck with it doggedly right through the fatuous punk era.

OK, I'm sorry to have ever doubted you.:)

Quote: Tursiops @ April 8 2012, 1:03 PM BST

Some prog rock is still listenable, even some Yes, but a lot of it is not.../

What has changed in the last 40 years though, to make it unlistenable, is not that the music has changed, but that you are now 40 years older than you were.