Current radio comedy Page 90

Quote: italophile @ March 19 2012, 7:42 AM GMT

How long is it meant to be? Says three hours in the schedule but only one hour in iPlayer.

It's three hours.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 18 2012, 8:42 PM GMT

Earlier today I caught up with "Just a Minute Without Hesitation" on the iPlayer. Interesting to hear how the show has developed over the years.

When did it change from "deviation" to "deviating from the subject on the card"?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 19 2012, 8:03 AM GMT

It's three hours.

Mmmm. So it says in the schedule, but for some reason it shows as one hour on my iPlayer and only plays for an hour.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ March 19 2012, 12:46 PM GMT

When did it change from "deviation" to "deviating from the subject on the card"?

Deviation used always to mean deviating from the subject - ie, what was on the card. Occasionally someone buzzes on the grounds of deviation from the English language when the speaker mangles some syntax.

The last episode of It's Not What You Know had me laughing a lot, it (and Miles) have really come on.

Alex Horne Presents the Horne Section never fails to make me smile. This week's episode was great.

Quote: italophile @ March 19 2012, 7:42 AM GMT

How long is it meant to be? Says three hours in the schedule but only one hour in iPlayer.

Just a minute.

Quote: Claire Hardiker @ March 17 2012, 6:10 AM GMT

The Now Show was great this week, except for Matt Forde who wasn't really that funny. Jon Holmes was spot on about Starbucks and the David Cameron/Obama stuff was brilliant.

Holmes, 'don't tell him Pike' gag was worth the admission price alone. Forde was not only unfunny but pure, pure evil.

Best radio comedy in years. The T-Wogs!!!!

(Serafinowicz on Radio6)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcfLzuBQADs&feature=related

Quote: italophile @ March 19 2012, 3:47 PM GMT

Deviation used always to mean deviating from the subject - ie, what was in the card. Occasionally someone buzzes on the grounds of deviation from the English language when the speaker mangles some syntax.

Or deviation from taste or "common" sexual habits.

Jesus Christ "South Shields comedian Chris Ramsey" is desperate. Clue one: if you have to spend the first five minutes explaining the title of your show, with reference to conversations between blokes in shops, you got it wrong. Clue two: Christmas circular letters have been done to death by that sharpest point of the avant garde, Simon Hoggart, for more than ten years. Then I gave up.

That was kind of weak.

Wow, the US version of the News Quiz actually made the UK version seem like the best thing on radio, ever, in comparison.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 23 2012, 1:33 AM GMT

Wow, the US version of the News Quiz actually made the UK version seem like the best thing on radio, ever, in comparison.

What's wrong with the UK version? Sandi Toksvig is fantastic (has there ever been a more seamless transition to a new host on a long running radio comedy?) and Jeremy Hardy's showpiece rants are becoming funnier, longer and bolshier with every show. It's consistently better than HIGNFY, Mock the Week, The Now Show or 10 O'Clock Live in my opinion. Up there with The Daily Show in terms of yr witty and literate topical news comedy for me.

Is the US version really shit then? Who are the captains? The host?

The host was Lewis Black, one of The Daily Show's longest running contributors (he's been on the show even before Jon Stewart was host). The guests were Andy Borowitz, Todd Barry, Kathleen Madigan and Ted Alexandro.

I'm listening to it on iPlayer. I'm only a few minutes in and I hate the audience already. Why do American audiences have to whoop and cheer all the time? It's like they're trying to outdo each other to be the most amused and most enthusiastic. SHUT UP! It's not a rally, we don't need to know if you agree with a statement - laugh if it's funny, be quiet if it's not.

EDIT: This is just awful. Are these people actually comedians? It's like listening to drunk people holding court on topics they know nothing about.