Current radio comedy Page 91

Quote: Harridan @ March 23 2012, 10:39 AM GMT

EDIT: This is just awful. Are these people actually comedians? It's like listening to drunk people holding court on topics they know nothing about.

It manages the amazing feat of making the New Quiz sound other than the voice of N1 talking to NW3. This sounds like a bunch of ageing hipsters in Tribeca shouting all the way to 55th Street. No one's yet referred to "the flyover states" but the dripping contempt for everywhere outside the five boroughs (well, actually, one borough) is almost palpable. The audience are hysterical, the humour non-existent and the pace leaden. Sixteen minutes, no jokes, so I've given up. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is desperate enough, but at least it has the doctor's waiting room tone of an elderly copy of Punch and occasionally raises the odd wry smile; this is just bar bores (or bar boors) playing to a gallery made uncritical by pre-show drinks.

Was listening to the News Quiz US last night on my way home from a gig, it nearly caused me to fall asleep on the M1 it was so soporific and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse one of the "comedians" called Piers Morgan "adorable", WTF?

Quote: notoriousrory @ March 23 2012, 4:47 AM GMT

What's wrong with the UK version? Sandi Toksvig is fantastic (has there ever been a more seamless transition to a new host on a long running radio comedy?) and Jeremy Hardy's showpiece rants are becoming funnier, longer and bolshier with every show. It's consistently better than HIGNFY, Mock the Week, The Now Show or 10 O'Clock Live in my opinion.

In danger of damning with feint praise there. The News Quiz is still okay, but they have never really succeeded in replacing Alan Coren and Linda Smith. A lot now rest on Jeremy and Andy to produce the goods.

Just conducted a little experiment. I listened to the Now Show and Newsjack back to back. Very little in it. The Now Show really needs to pay attention to what the non coms are doing and the Beeb needs to be putting some more of them through to work on the Now Show. Or mve NJ to R4.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 23 2012, 2:07 PM GMT

Was listening to the News Quiz US last night on my way home from a gig, it nearly caused me to fall asleep on the M1 it was so soporific and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse one of the "comedians" called Piers Morgan "adorable", WTF?

Todd Barry is definitely a comedian, and a very good one! (At least, his own act is, maybe he was shit on this)

Been listening to some of that 'A Series Of Psychotic Episodes', the Miriam Ella sketch show, as I trudge around; some very good stuff in it.

Anybody going to see The Unbelievable Truth being recorded on Monday? (Wasn't too sure where to post this, since there isn't an alive thread for it)

I've particularly enjoyed the Radio Wales sitcom Social Club FM. This week's episode about having to make their prize themselves was quite good.

Feedback can usually be summarised as "The BBC should broadcast fewer programmes I don't like, and fill the time with more programmes I do like". And the people that write / phone to it appear to want to be able to leave Radio 4 on all day (with which I wholeheartedly agree) and enjoy every single programme (which is insane).

The latest Feedback is people whining that they don't find Count Arthur Strong funny. Which is fair enough: I can see why they might not, and I think the move to Spain has not been wise. "Goes on holiday" or "goes on a cruise" are the usual marks of desperation when script-writers run out of situations. But are these people incapable of turning their radios off for thirty minutes, as I do every time "The Unbelievable Rip-Off of Call My Bluff" or "Dave Gorman is unamusing again" or "Stephen K Amos rips off Frank Muir Goes Into, but without Alfred Marks to help make it funny" come on? Strong may not be great, and sometimes isn't even good, but compared to the rest of the lame 6.30 shows it shines like a cheap and corroded fake diamond in a pile of shite.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Ed Reardon's back!

It's Tues 3rd April Curmudgeoneers.

Weirdly Radio 4 put The News Quiz USA on the Comedy of the Week podcast. It really wasn't funny and the audience was quite annoying. If they decide to make more then it should just be broadcast in America.

As well as News Quiz USA and Count Arthur in Spain, the old dictum that programmes that go on tour are struggling is being proven again as I type by JAM in India. Not good.

Having long entertained an active dislike for Count Arthur, I have to admit that tonight's 'talking calculator' gag was genius.

No match for Ed Reardon next week, though.

Found Count Arthur Strong weird today,especially near the end with the Round Table.

The Horne Section was brilliant yesterday with Kevin Eldon both performing as himself and Paul Hamilton.

Discovered that Series 2 of Bleak Expectations starts next Thursday on BBC Radio 4 Extra. :D

Also Tom Allen (Pip Bin) was on Life: An Idiot's Guide which was both brilliant and weird in parts.