Current radio comedy Page 95

Quote: KLRiley @ April 12 2012, 10:03 PM BST

My first planet - How does this stuff get commissioned?

You have to wonder. One-joke characters, derivative of ElvenQuest amongst other things.

I think track record and names attached might have something to do with it. Pozzitive make the wonderful Cabin Pressure but the guy who wrote this ain't no John Finnemore.
Like you said Italophile, derivative.

Milton Jones was brilliant again.

The News Quiz was in fine form today, everyone was brilliant, especially Andrew Maxwell.

Meanwhile, with D. Mitchell in fine form, The Unbelievable Truth delivers much more than the format ever promises thanks to Mitchell. It needs the right guests and Henning Wehn is one of those. His battle with Mitchell over the scoreline in the 1966 World Cup was great stuff.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 12 2012, 10:03 PM BST

My first planet - How does this stuff get commissioned?

Star of OFAH + Top drawer director/producer = Comissioned before the script was written.

Cabin Pressure - returning to R4+ next week! Brilliant!

Ed Reardon still has his girlfriend/partner and the show is still none the better for it. If it were anti-domesticity in the Reardon way, fair enough. But it's not. Has Ed jumped the shark?

How does this stuff get commissioned? - quite a deep question. It we assume that nobody wants to make an unfunny comedy, you can see how people just hope to assemble the right ingredients and it will work, but nobody (not even those involved) can say what is good or bad until it is shown.

I try these days to be tolerant, especially of debut series, because if we demand that every unusual new series must be perfect we will end up with very tame copycat series instead.

Quote: italophile @ April 20 2012, 4:53 PM BST

Ed Reardon still has his girlfriend/partner and the show is still none the better for it. If it were anti-domesticity in the Reardon way, fair enough. But it's not. Has Ed jumped the shark?

This week's was better, and pissing off a few mindless local radio jocks is always a good idea.

Yep. 'Twas a better ep. Some wee comic gems sprinkled throughout.

Quote: italophile @ April 20 2012, 4:53 PM BST

I can see your point and would normally agree with you - but it's Jenny Agutter, and I could happily listen to her read the phone book!

Last week's ended weakly with Ed simply walking out of the radio show. Lazy.

Quote: Frantically @ April 30 2012, 7:34 PM BST

I can see your point and would normally agree with you - but it's Jenny Agutter, and I could happily listen to her read the phone book!

Yes, there is that.

Quote: Nogget @ April 30 2012, 8:27 PM BST

Last week's ended weakly with Ed simply walking out of the radio show. Lazy.

Yep. The series has never been famous for its endings. Episodes sometimes just peter out.

Love Ed Reardon and The Unbeliavable Truth, Henning Whain shuld have his own show his accent cracks me up.

Quote: dellas @ May 1 2012, 12:14 PM BST

Love Ed Reardon and The Unbeliavable Truth, Henning Whain shuld have his own show his accent cracks me up.

He does. It was on Radio 2 on a thursday dellas.