Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 5

Not amazing, and not as funny as Green Wing (but then I don't think it's fair to expect it to be). I did feel that it was a little lacking in direction, and seemed to jump between a number of characters without really establishing them properly, although I'm sure that this would be tightened up and we'd get some proper fleshing out if it came to a full series (and I suspect that it will). But I still enjoyed it; there were a few laughs through and it kept me reasonably entertained.

I think I'd give it 6/10 - not brilliant now, but showing promise.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 6 2009, 10:57 PM GMT

Oooo. Really?

Yeah. It was probably hidden behind the guise of "irony". Rolling eyes

Quote: Martin H @ November 6 2009, 10:56 PM GMT

My opinion is of the first 30 seconds, which was so downright offensive and appalling that I had no other choice but to switch off. Seriously, Stephen Hawking spastic 'jokes'?!

What about when Ricky Gervais was making them to Hawking's face on the British Comedy Awards a few years ago?

I found the Hawking joke in Campus very funny.
Fair enough, we have a different sense of humour. :)

I guess I think as a viewer you should say you didn't think it was going to be your cup of tea so you switched off, rather than describing the show as a whole as 'horrible, offensive laugh-free shite'.
Maybe a small difference but I think quite an important one.

I gave it five minutes and then watched Derek contact Michael.

What I saw was indeed awful.

Quote: Aaron @ November 6 2009, 11:00 PM GMT

What about when Ricky Gervais was making them to Hawking's face on the British Comedy Awards a few years ago?

He does some pretty harsh Hawking jokes, but the ones he did to his face were very tame, and hardly 'spastic' based!

I just wish I had your foresight Martin.

Here's what you missed -

Spkey Haired Bloke: I need to come up with a book, show me your vagina.

Woman in Glasses: No. My vagina is really hairy.

Ricky Gervais Rip Off: I like vaginas. But not my wife's vaginas, other women's vaginas.

Lesbian Type Woman: My vagina is like a lobster pot.

Genius.

Notice it got given (a commercial) 40 minutes. Doubt the other shows have been given that much time.

Quote: zooo @ November 6 2009, 11:01 PM GMT

He does some pretty harsh Hawking jokes, but the ones he did to his face were very tame, and hardly 'spastic' based!

They were close enough - and arguably being right up to his face like that 'amplified' them.

Quote: Aaron @ November 6 2009, 10:58 PM GMT

there were a few laughs

Name one.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 6 2009, 11:01 PM GMT

Notice it got given a (commercial) 40 minutes. Doubt the other shows have been given that much time.

The others seem to be 35 minutes.

Quote: Martin H @ November 6 2009, 10:59 PM GMT

Yeah. It was probably hidden behind the guise of "irony". Rolling eyes

Ah. But I never got Green Wing.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 6 2009, 11:01 PM GMT

I just wish I had your foresight Martin.

Here's what you missed -

Spkey Haired Bloke: I need to come up with a book, show me your vagina.

Woman in Glasses: No. My vagina is really hairy.

Ricky Gervais Rip Off: I like vaginas. But not my wife's vaginas, other women's vaginas.

Lesbian Type Woman: My vagina is like a lobster pot.

Genius.

Above very much paraphrased by comedy genius Renegade. :)
(Just in case anyone thinks you're quoting)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 6 2009, 11:04 PM GMT

Name one.

Negros. Spastic. Target. Google.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 6 2009, 11:04 PM GMT

Ah. But I never got Green Wing.

You'll probably not enjoy Campus then.

Quote: Aaron @ November 6 2009, 11:00 PM GMT

Equally offensive and unfunny. I've expressed my opinion on Gervais's humour many times before, I don't want to drag this thread down that route.

:D