Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 2

Quote: swerytd @ March 19 2009, 11:33 AM GMT

To be fair to BBC Three, they did (not sure they will again with their 'demographic change') do this last year. Sound (which became Massive), Coming of Age, Delta Forever, Tall Tales (can't remember the exact title), that one about three members of a girl band talking to camera that I can't remember the name of, Living With Two People..., Don Clark's How Not To Live Your Life. These were all broadcast pilots and some led to series. Granted they may not have been all together in six consecutive weeks and were all over the place in the schedules, but they did give it a chance.

BBC Four did the Tight Spot series, which was four pilots: Freezing, something about some people stuck in a lift with Rasmus Hardiker and Meera Syal(?), David Gillespie and some bloke (was it Clint from The Smoking Room?) stuck in a car on the way to a meeting and another one I didn't see. Out of those, Freezing is the only one to make a series but, in my opinion, it was the best new sitcom of last year.

I thought I'd mention that in the interests of fairness!

Dan

Fair dues - but if they were broadcast all over the place rather than in a consecutive 6-week run that is promoted and put on at a reasonable time, then how do they expect them to be seen by viewers?

Quote: glaikit @ March 19 2009, 11:41 AM GMT

Fair dues - but if they were broadcast all over the place rather than in a consecutive 6-week run that is promoted and put on at a reasonable time, then how do they expect them to be seen by viewers?

Some people argue that actually heavily promting pilots is detrimental because you expose the show to the harsh light of criticism before it's had a chance to develop into something more interesting. So ironically, if you've got a show creeping out in a post-midnight slot, you get some feedback on what the public think (albeit insomniac) without it getting slaughtered on forums like this.

Quote: glaikit @ March 19 2009, 11:41 AM GMT

They may have put them out 'when they were ready' (ie the American way of filming and scheduling). I think the original BBC Three sitcoms (4 or 5 of them) were put out at the same time each week, but later in the year the others were all over the place (half ten, 12:45am, 3am...)

Dan

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 19 2009, 10:02 AM GMT

Campus, a pilot set at a University, made by Monicker, the production company owned by Green Wing creator Victoria Pile.

I really want to see this one. The reason: Victoria Pile. Plus, there's a hint of The Inbetweeners in there.

I wanted Rafe Spall in my sitcom *sigh*

Quote: glaikit @ March 19 2009, 10:41 AM GMT

It's got appeal to viewers (as each week it's something new, so if the first one's shit the second one might be good)

On that basis, it has appeal to comedy geeks, not most viewers. I suspect that the 'average' viewer wants an attachment to a programme. Not so much a dip in and out like that.

Oh, and of course it's less likely to sell DVDs, concept or international broadcast rights.

Quote: Aaron @ March 19 2009, 4:49 PM GMT

On that basis, it has appeal to comedy geeks, not most viewers. I suspect that the 'average' viewer wants an attachment to a programme. Not so much a dip in and out like that.

Oh, and of course it's less likely to sell DVDs, concept or international broadcast rights.

Pilot season is a big thing in the US, they get lots of hype and cause much anticipation, as people get a chance to sample new shows and give feedback on which ones they'd like to see more of.

I don't see why the UK can't do something similar. It saves comissioning full series that turn out to be a load of crap, with nobody watching. With airing the pilot it allows the opportunity for feedback before that decision is made.

Props to Channel 4 for continuing the Comedy Showcase, even if most of last years were duds. We've got a David Cross pilot coming this year! :D

Quote: Martin H @ March 19 2009, 7:15 PM GMT

even if most of last years were duds. We've got a David Cross pilot coming this year! :D

I thought they were alright: three out of six made into series that I enjoyed in Plus One, Free Agents and The Kevin Bishop show -- at worst, you can only say they were average! The Scum Also Rises was a good laugh I thought too.

Don't forget Tim Walker's first-time pilot is in this year's strand, I believe. Not that there's anything official been announced (bar Tim's own post, which I suppose is sort of official enough!)

Dan

Yeah, I wondered where Tim's was. There's an article on broadcastnow which mentions Big Talk.

Tim's pilot got turned down sadly. He posted about it somewhere.

Really? I did not know that. Must suck. I can't seem to find a post about it.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ March 19 2009, 10:49 PM GMT

Really? I did not know that. Must suck. I can't seem to find a post about it.

Nor me, but he did mention it.

Ah bum. Sorry for dragging it up again, Tim. I wasn't aware.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 19 2009, 9:29 PM GMT

I thought they were alright: three out of six made into series that I enjoyed in Plus One, Free Agents and The Kevin Bishop show -- at worst, you can only say they were average!

Nah I thought they were very bad, The Kevin Bishop Show in particular was awful, that could also have a lot to do with Kevin Bishop being extremely dislikable. Plus One I suppose I could say had potential as an idea, but it just didn't make me laugh.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 19 2009, 9:56 PM GMT

Tim's pilot got turned down sadly. He posted about it somewhere.

That's a shame, I thought his pilot had been confirmed in the line up.

Quote: Martin H @ March 20 2009, 11:23 AM GMT

Nah I thought they were very bad, The Kevin Bishop Show in particular was awful, that could also have a lot to do with Kevin Bishop being extremely dislikable. Plus One I suppose I could say had potential as an idea, but it just didn't make me laugh.

Kevin Bishop appears to me like an utter spoilt stage school show off brat piece of shit. Terribly unfunny man.