I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,446

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th August 2022, 2:42 PM

Not the virus, not the war but the government eh.
It's a world recession because of the above.

Did that contradict you enough?

Well, we do have a worse inflation rate/cost of living crisis than anywhere else in Europe.
So we're obviously doing something wrong.

And of course the world wide global banking crisis in 2008 was all Gordon Browns and Labours fault don't forget

Thank heavens the FA/Prem have come to their senses at long last and are dropping the "taking the knee", which I have said all along was verging towards complacency, with players being told to do it, rather than by free-will, by something, let's face it, was an American thing that we (they!! followed in their usual fashion of sheep. Baa! Baaa!

Players still going to be made to do it at big events, such as the FA cup, but surely that will fizzle out in a short time if there's any sense, and a thought has just occurred to me - why didn't other sports adopt it?

I liked it because it wound up racists - but I think it's run it's course.
Things lose their power if repeated too often, so limiting it to big events makes sense.
Interesting to see whether any individuals keep it up.

It did seem to trigger an awful lot of people and gave GB News something to endlessly blather on about in its early months.

I'm all for keeping racism out of football but I'm sure the 'taking the knee, did nothing extra.
Long before this happened there were crowd members shouting racist things and everyone around them called them out and had them ejected and banned.
There was no reasoning with these people, I told one scumbag it wasn't nice and got told to f**k off.
He was f**ked off by the stewards.
My team stopped taking the knee from the start of last season.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th August 2022, 12:27 PM

I'm all for keeping racism out of football but I'm sure the 'taking the knee, did nothing extra.
Long before this happened there were crowd members shouting racist things and everyone around them called them out and had them ejected and banned.
There was no reasoning with these people, I told one scumbag it wasn't nice and got told to f**k off.
He was f**ked off by the stewards.
My team stopped taking the knee from the start of last season.

It raised the issue.
And most importantly it raised the issue with the viewing public - a far larger/younger group of people than matchday attendees.
And it wasn't just about kicking racism out of football, but kicking it out of everyday life.
It was never going to stop racists being racist, but it put the issue in the forefront of a lot of people's mind.
Might even have made some of them think on.
Once it becomes wallpaper, though, it has little impact.

I never expected to say this but well done the French.

Before it could sail they punctured a dinghy and smashed up its motor thereby delaying a few migrants set for our shores.

Waves of relief from desperate people, struggling with the cost-of-living as Boris comes back from his holidays to "urge the electricity companies to continue working on ways to help".
Thanks mate.
I thought the caretaker was supposed to be in charge of keeping the lights on.

We could all keep warm by burning our money - it won't be worth anything soon anyway

Someone stabbed author Salman Rushdie onstage in New York. I wonder what the motive could be?

Quote: DaButt @ 12th August 2022, 6:48 PM

Someone stabbed author Salman Rushdie onstage in New York.

Wow , those New Yorkers take heckling to another level

Quote: DaButt @ 12th August 2022, 6:48 PM

Someone stabbed author Salman Rushdie onstage in New York. I wonder what the motive could be?

That's a difficult one. How much was the bounty? (And not the chocolate bar!)

Trump is gonna look awesome in one of those bright orange prison jump suits

Dude is going to jail

Boris's windfall tax on Energy companies will be ineffectual, as they get a 90% reduction if they re-invest the profits. North Sea gas provides half our supply, so it would be administratively cheaper to cap that cost, rather than do the council tax refund to 28 million households. We need a Churchill or Clement Attlee right now.