I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,443

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th July 2022, 5:57 PM

Shall I ask again? Or rewrite it as who is the worst liar then cos all I read was barely disguised anger at one rag or other.

Again, your confusing 'lies' with 'anger'.
Lies are lies - unless they're true, in which case they're facts. As such they are objective.
Anger is either justified or unjustified and is, therefore, subjective.

I'm always confused according to you. It's your go to insult.
Lost count of how often you say I'm confused... Best try another tack

It's just a polite way of saying you're wrong.
I shan't use it again.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th July 2022, 6:05 PM

The Scum is beyond a rag and I will go as far as saying that its readers are no better

I used to buy The Sun sometimes, but haven't bothered since they stopped having topless ladies on page 3. Then The Star stopped a few years after that, so I stopped purchasing that literature too. So I think that makes me better than a rag now! Morally!

I agree with you to an extent though. But I don't know if newspapers can be judged by what its writers from many years ago thought? The Mail supported Hitler in the 1930s, but the current writers are different people. We don't blame modern Germans if their great-grandparents were Nazis, after all. I dunno - did the Mail apologise for their past position?

The Sun no longer has any tits in it

It's just written and read by tits

The sun is out. Nice
But danger of death warnings are a bit over the top. It's summer.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th July 2022, 2:50 PM

But danger of death warnings are a bit over the top.

Not to those that die, of course.

Heard nothing else but 40+ degrees all week.
We'll see.

2,000 people died during the 2003 heatwave. Probably not a bad idea to give people a bit of a heads up.

I like that even the weather is a wedge issue we can hate each other over. Although one of my favourite films is The Day Caught Fire, so part of me hopes that it just gets hotter and hotter and we have to set off some nuclear bombs in Siberia to save the Earth.

I should imagine the Venn Diagram of the "Stop making such a fuss" people and the "Sceptical about man-made climate change" people is essentially a circle.

I hate sounding Brexity but given that the most likely to get fried to death is the elderly I think it would be prudent to also mention that 41c is 105f so that they get their head around it better.

Some businesses near me have have given advance notice they will be closed until the 21st so staff can stay at home and I got supplies today so I don't need to go out for a few days. Windows open, curtains closed and do nothing so you don't perspire is the best way to deal with hot weather. I was dehydrated recently and it took a few days of water and milk to feel better again and have energy to get out of bed. If you don't drink enough water today is a good time to start ahead of the peak temperatures next week.

I don't get how people can recommend putting bags of ice in front of a fan. It thaws and then you have water near electrical devices - what could possibly go wrong?

If you really feel the need to cool down on Monday, Film4 is showing White Christmas at 11am.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th July 2022, 8:50 PM

If you really feel the need to cool down on Monday, Film4 is showing White Christmas at 11am.

I'm hoping thats Film4 being hilariously ironic rather than shit scheduling.