I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,450

Quote: Firkin @ 18th August 2022, 10:12 PM

Betting odds for next election are almost even Stephen. Game on.

Though, the odds are weird.
They seem to put a hung /coalition parliament as less likely than a Lab majority.
Which doesn't really make sense?

Truss's problem is that all the stuff the Tory faithful voting for her now love to hear (which she clearly doesn't believe but says anyway), doesn't necessarily appeal to the wider electorate. That said, you can always rely on Labour to shoot themselves in the foot. My prediction would be a coalition.

Quote: chipolata @ 19th August 2022, 11:42 AM

My prediction would be a coalition.

Same here.
Starmer is being forced to play it cool (hence fury from far-left) because he needs two things to oust the Tories .
1) Red Wall return - hence going quiet on Brexit and not openly condoning strikes
2) Centrist Tories moving to LibDems - which they won't do it if they think they'll be propping up a Far Left govt - so, again, he can't do anything to frighten the horses.
(He'd far rather be in with the LibDems than the SNP - thus avoiding the thorny issue of IndyRef2).
He'll lose some dog-in-a-manger Leftists who'll refuse to vote Labour (and hence a Proxy vote for the Tories, essentially.)
But when push comes to shove, I think most of the anti-Keir brigade will actually vote with the party just to get the Tories out.
Plus we'll need tactical voting.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th August 2022, 11:30 PM

you're

Stephen must be one of those teenage texters, typos are trendy these days.

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th August 2022, 10:38 AM

Though, the odds are weird.
They seem to put a hung /coalition parliament as less likely than a Lab majority.
Which doesn't really make sense?

The middle vote is growing, Lib Dems, independents, Greens then add in Northern Ireland. Protest votes, plus the big two are being knocked in the press. Maybe that's why ?

Exactly.
That would make 'split' parliament more likely.
So the odds should less generous, not more.
Don't get it.
But then I didn't get my Stats AO level either.

Tory leadership frontrunner Liz Truss has shown her "true colours", after it emerged she wrote a paper promoting the slashing of doctors' pay.

In a 2009 paper, Truss called for patients to be charged to see their GP and for doctors' pay to be slashed by ten per cent in a report for the Reform thinktank, where she was deputy director.

Such a lovely warm hearted human being

It's pretty dry old read, but these ideas have been knocking around for a bit - and from the same cast of people.

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 43% (+4)
CON: 28% (-2)
LDEM: 11% (-1)

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th August 2022, 5:36 PM

If two footballers married each other, wouldn't they just end up in a never-ending spiral of poverty?

Sutton United's former goalie, now at Reading, Dean Bouzanis is the partner of an Arsenal player. She probably earns more than him.

According to our prospective PM, doctors are going to be asked to hand out 'prescriptions' for those having trouble paying energy & food bills.
That's if you don't freeze or starve to death waiting for an appointment.
Bloody shambles.

The Dark Destroyer is going on strike.

If you order something from Argos that is heavy or large, they will deliver it in a lorry with a 2 man team to bring it inside your house.
That's what it said on their website.
That is, until there were complaints that '2 man' was sexist. So now they have dropped that phrase.

The govt. have said they're not going to ask the British public to try to save energy to get us through a difficult winter.
"These decisions, in terms of energy consumption, remain decisions for individuals."
Obviously.
But what's the harm in putting it out there?
Community conscious people will do it anyway.
Poor people have been doing it their whole life
Wankers won't do it whatever you say.
BUT there's a vast swathe of people in the middle who might be 'nudged' into being a bit more careful
(as we all should be anyway, and not just in an energy crisis).
It could make a big difference.
I don't get it.

My energy direct debit has almost tripled in the last year and now they tell me it's going up to over £500 p/m with further increases later
That's unsustainable. They ignore my readings. Each time I send them, it says your DD will not go down.
Even though my gas and electric meter readings have not even reached what they estimated 3 months ago.

I cannot see what the powers that be can be thinking of, and how people are going to survive. It's insane

They had an EDF French spokesman ( er, let me check...........yes, he was male. Phew!) on the TV this morning, and that's another story, along with all the other foreign majority shareholders of UK utilities. How the f**k did that come about?

The laughing stock of Europe?