I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,855

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 9th November 2016, 8:40 PM

Eff this. Can one of you sneak me into your country somehow? Mine's broken.

My commiserations.

But all is not lost. For a paltry few grand, I can sort you out a place in a transit camp near Calais. We are, after all, a tolerant nation.. well, roughly half of us.

Quote: zooo @ 9th November 2016, 7:29 PM

It's going to be tricky, but I'm going to try not to ever have to look at his face or listen to his droning voice ever again.

It will involve a lot of speed skimming pages and speed changing-the-channel, but I've had enough of his gurning, bloated face and disgusting words to last a lifetime.
Lucky me that I'm not in America and that I have that choice. :(

USA seems to have turned down its first woman President and instead elected
its first red skin President.

Huh?:S

News travels slow up't North.. not only elected him but showing him round his new gaff this very afternoon!

The Obama's will be looking forward to that, no doubt!

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-37926729?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Lock him up! Lock him up!...

Maybe Paxo should have stuffed them!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 10th November 2016, 1:35 PM

News travels slow up't North.. not only elected him but showing him round his new gaff this very afternoon!

The Obama's will be looking forward to that, no doubt!

A portion of Obama's speech from yesterday:

Now, everybody is sad when their side loses an election, but the day after we have to remember that we're actually all on one team. This is an intramural scrimmage. We're not Democrats first. We're not Republicans first. We are Americans first. We're patriots first.

We all want what's best for this country. That's what I heard in Mr. Trump's remarks last night. That's what I heard when I spoke to him directly. And I was heartened by that. That's what the country needs -- a sense of unity, a sense of inclusion, a respect for our institutions, our way of life, rule of law, and respect for each other.

A portion of Hillary's concession speech:

I still believe in America, and I always will. And if you do, then we must accept this result and then look to the future. Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead. Our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power.

And a portion of Trump's victory speech:

Hillary has worked very long and very hard over a long period of time, and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to our country. I mean that very sincerely.

Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division, have to get together. To all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people.

It is time. I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be President for all of Americans, and this is so important to me. For those who have chosen not to support me in the past, of which there were a few people (laughs), I'm reaching out to you for your guidance and your help so that we can work together and unify our great country.

As I've said from the beginning, ours was not a campaign but rather an incredible and great movement, made up of millions of hard-working men and women who love their country and want a better, brighter future for themselves and for their family.

It is a movement comprised of Americans from all races, religions, backgrounds, and beliefs, who want and expect our government to serve the people -- and serve the people it will.

All were very, shall I say, presidential responses. "Hey, the election is over, one side won and the other side lost, but let's all be nice to each other and get on with running the country as wisely as possible."

But that's not how a large percentage of Hillary's backers have reacted. Nothing but vitriol, accusations of hatred/racism/misogyny/homophobia, and fear mongering about the end of the world being nigh. It's affecting me on a personal level; a smart woman who has been a very dear friend for 20 years (and a former girlfriend for a year or two) forwarded some sort of crappy meme about Hillary not being elected because Trump supporters were hateful, racist misogynists and I responded with my normal politeness and good humor and reminded her that 50% of Americans aren't actually woman-hating racists. That just unleashed a torrent of anger and assertions that Trump's voters were motivated by hate and accusations of me attacking her every time she posts something political and she said that she's always bitten her tongue and not responded to my "frequent" political posts.

I don't really post much political stuff on Facebook. Politics are gross and I'd never forward stupid political memes. I don't think I've ever even used the word "liberal" in my online presence. My sole post-election post was this: "Ok, now let us put that ugly crap behind us and work together as brothers and sisters."

So now I have a beloved friend raging at me on her Facebook wall. I tried a couple of very polite, soothing responses, but she just wants to rage and display her grief. She calls me out by name and then accuses me of trying to get the last word in when I respond, so now I've just clammed up. Political parties, pundits and the media have done a great job of dividing the nation and turning people into angry partisans, but the effects linger long after the elections are finished and we end up with a bitter, angry nation.

To top it all off, my friend is flying out to visit me this weekend. I assume she isn't so angry that she called off her trip, but now I have lectures and scoldings to look forward to. What she really wants me to do is change my views and go over to the other side "like Barbara Bush did" but all I want to do is enjoy spending time with her without any mention of politics.
:(

Wow, you're between a rock and hard place there, betwixt and between, in a cleft stick, between the devil and the deep blue sea.

DaButt - Can i suggest you ban the subject of the election, then put out an 'election jar' and state 'anyone' who mentions it, Trump or Clinton gets fined a dollar (or better still 5).

This strategy worked a few years ago we got together as three couples one of which always ended up arguing with each other and ruining it for all. Anyone starting to argue was immediately fined a pound. By applying this to everyone not just the serial arguers it became a running joke and stopped the problem couple ruining the weekend without them ever knowing.

Quote: playfull @ 10th November 2016, 4:07 PM

DaButt - Can i suggest you ban the subject of the election, then put out an 'election jar' and state 'anyone' who mentions it, Trump or Clinton gets fined a dollar (or better still 5).

That's a good idea, but she lives 1500 miles away and I'll only see her for a few days this weekend. She'll want to scold me and try to get me to admit that I'm wrong, but I'll just change the subject and refuse to take the bait. She's upset and there's nothing I can say or do to fix that, so I just won't even try. As my mother has always told me, "Women don't want men to solve their problems or even analyze them. They just want you to shut up and listen while they talk about their problems." Wise words. :)

Yes, and if she thinks you are wrong (which she does and which is why she is angry with you) then whatever you do don't convince her you're right; or she'll be even angrier..

What happened over there overshadowed a disaster much closer at hand for me; the tram incident in Croydon.

Apparently the driver fell asleep and now is out on bail on manslaughter charges.

Yes. It's been given minimum coverage.

I've almost forgotten it's 2016, the year that classic rock music is dying:
RIP Leonard Cohen.

Aw. :(
That's Rufus Wainwright's baby-daughter's grandpa.
RIP.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th November 2016, 7:14 AM

I've almost forgotten it's 2016, the year that classic rock music is dying:
RIP Leonard Cohen.

Yes RIP, but hardly classic rock GB.............it's like the King's New Clothes for me when it came to him - never saw the appeal.