Drop The Dead Donkey Page 3

I find it very odd that, Stephen Tompkinson and Neil Pearson apaprt, none of the regular cast went on to star in anything else of note. Post DDDD they seem to have all vanished without trace.

Jeff Rawle is pretty active. Robert Duncan does theatre. David Swift may very well have retired. But a fair point about the female cast members.

I've not seen this in so long and always wondered if my high opinion of it was a bit of rose-tinted nostalgia, but the posts so far seem to confirm it was as good as I recall. I was too young to really appreciate the satire at the time I think, so maybe a reviewing will be worthwhile.

This was pretty much inspired by the launch of Sky News channel as I recall, and I always wondered if some of the creations were caricatures of real News International people (for instance was Henry supposed to be Andrew Neil? Was Joy Merryweather Rebekah Brooks??)

Was Brooks really known enough back then? A quick glance at Wikipedia suggests she was just a reporter until 1998, whereas Joy entered the show in 1991. Even Sir Royston wasn't a direct Murdoch copy. Probably the show was inspired by the changing face and pressures of news, rather than lampooning as specifically as Hot Metal had done?

You're probably spot on. Some of the Sir Royston things were direct parody - I recall one episode where they switched political allegiances just as Murdoch swapped too. But The Rebekah Brooks parallel might be more a hindsight thing which wasn't intentional.

Talking of this show - does anybody know what is Andy Hamilton currently up to? He was quite a regular on The News Quiz, but not so much in the last two series.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001153/cast_what_we_did_on_our_holiday_connolly_tennant/

Plus recent revivals of Old Harry's Game. Outnumbered. And probably other stuff in development.

Talking of Brooks and co. there is bound to be some show, a drama film or serial being worked on for the new year. The Cameron friendship angle could do him damage nearer to a general election. I wonder how many will go down in that one, becasue their old method of bribing their way out of things has been made impossible this time.

Didn't the uptight woman turn up on series 1 of the Mighty Boosh?

Quote: zooo @ May 29 2013, 4:11 PM BST

Didn't the uptight woman turn up on series 1 of the Mighty Boosh?

Miss Gideon...or whatever her name was?

Yes!

Quote: Aaron @ May 29 2013, 2:33 PM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001153/cast_what_we_did_on_our_holiday_connolly_tennant/

OK, now I am excited. Look at that cast!

I've got Boosh on DVD and have watched the first series loads (it's by far the best IMO). Not once did I notice that Mrs Gideon was Sally. :O

Quote: Snafu @ May 29 2013, 5:35 PM BST

I've got Boosh on DVD and have watched the first series loads (it's by far the best IMO). Not once did I notice that Mrs Gideon was Sally. :O

:D

Quote: Snafu @ May 29 2013, 2:28 PM BST

You're probably spot on. Some of the Sir Royston things were direct parody - I recall one episode where they switched political allegiances just as Murdoch swapped too. But The Rebekah Brooks parallel might be more a hindsight thing which wasn't intentional.

Talking of this show - does anybody know what is Andy Hamilton currently up to? He was quite a regular on The News Quiz, but not so much in the last two series.

I think it was just supposed to be a TV newsroom. I don't think 24 hour news was on then but I may be wrong.

And Andy co-wrote Outnumbered didn't he?

This was a link from the Popbitch mailout yesterday: http://www.neilpearsonrarebooks.com/ I knew that Neil was a bit of a rare folio officionado as he appeared on a series of Celebrity Mastermind answering questions on a doubly hard subject which was probably more challenging than Myleene Klass's 'Sex And The City: Season Three'.

Great news about Hamilton and Jenkin writing a stage show, and with the original cast too! This will be a must see, I've often thought that Drop The Dead Donkey would be an obvious sitcom to resurrect with so much about the modern world to take the piss out of.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/live/news/7370/drop-the-dead-donkey-returns-as-touring-stage-show/