The Sitcom Mission 2013 Page 7

A validation from Dan is good enough for me. Thanks, chaps.

I don't really get why Don is so snippy about the Sitcommission. Surely enough people have given positive feedback on their feedback over the years you (amongst others) have been accusing them of a range of offences from a vague quackery to grand larceny to put this to bed?

For the record: I've never used the written feeback option but have been to a couple of recorded readthrough type workshops and the comments (also recorded for future revision) were both helpful and insightful - not always what I wanted or expected to hear, and I ceryainly didn't agree with all comments; but definitely useful and well-intentioned. I think a reasonable amount of my development as a writer is linked to The Sitcommission and associated processes.

EDIT And now is the time you choose to get magnanimous? :$

Quote: don rushmore @ March 19 2013, 7:26 PM GMT

You haven't answered the question, Simon. HOW DETAILED IS THE FEEDBACK? 2 pages, 10 pages?

Is this a good moment to point out The Sitcom Trials So You Think You're Funny competition (deadline March 31st) gives you no feedback whatsoever?

Is this a good moment to point out that we're extending our deadline to April 15? This new blog explains all:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/45/

Silver feedback option re-opened with an application date of March 28.

That's actually really good news for those of us trying to write for everything at the moment. Six or seven(?) deadlines in the next couple of weeks, then... nothing!

But thanks. My entry will be slightly less shit as a result.

Dan

I heartily approve of the deadline extention. Thanks chaps, hopefully it will result in better scripts.

Hi Simon and Declan,

As I'm sure you understand, as a trying-to-be-comedy-writer I'm rather skint so if I'm able to save enough money for feedback it would be good to know the professional context it's coming from so I can allocate funds and thoughts in the most effective way.

Neither of you have job history on your profiles and I didn't want to Googlestalk, what with wanting accurate info! Are there any links to your writing or production CVs anywhere?

Cheers very much :)

I agree with above comments that the feedback is useful, and exceeded my expectations. Over a page from Declan and over a page from Simon, written independently with different but complimentary points. All very constructive, and really helped tighten up my writing.

Anyone who disagrees is a great big bumface. Fact.

Thought I'd add my recommendation.
I got two pages from each of them - all good stuff.
There was no padding, either, everything was specific to my script - not just cut/paste from some 'How To" book.

Just to confirm, I didn't ask for feedback and I didn't get any so I was completely satisfied.

Quote: AJGO @ March 20 2013, 12:41 AM GMT

Neither of you have job history on your profiles and I didn't want to Googlestalk, what with wanting accurate info! Are there any links to your writing or production CVs anywhere?

We've never been asked that before.

The comedy commissioners who have backed us for years have never asked it.
The production companies who have backed us (financially in Hat Trick's case) have never asked it.
Nor have any of the TV directors and radio producers we've dealt with.
None of the professional writers we've dealt with have asked it either.

And before a certain poster makes his favourite cut-and-paste 'you haven't answered the question' comment; I just have.

Quote: AJGO @ March 20 2013, 12:41 AM GMT

Hi Simon and Declan,

As I'm sure you understand, as a trying-to-be-comedy-writer I'm rather skint so if I'm able to save enough money for feedback it would be good to know the professional context it's coming from so I can allocate funds and thoughts in the most effective way.

Hi AJGO

I'll let Simon answer for himself, but my credentials are for this competition. I've read nearly 3000 script entries and seen the same mistakes appearing time and time again. I've compared my notes to notes on the same scripts from production company development execs and I've picked up the same issues that they have.

One thing I've learnt over the past few years is that there is no right and wrong in media production, only opinion plus budget. The last thing that I will ever say is that my opinion is more right or wrong than anyone else's. As far as this stage of this competition goes, it is more valid than all other opinions apart from one. When it comes to picking the final winner, it has no merit whatsoever.

I hope that doesn't come over as being defensive, it isn't meant to be! There are plenty of people working in comedy commissioning who don't have a passion for comedy, as esteemed radio producer Adam Bromley will testify https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/25/ and I can offer a passion as well as the experience of giving feedback to hundreds of scripts over the past few years.

Have I worked for a production company on a TV or radio sitcom? No. Have I worked with a production company on a sitcom that then gets pitched to TV and radio? Yes. Have I promoted an author who then gets his/her sitcom script commissioned by BBC radio? Yes. Do we have the support and backing of development producers in the industry and seen as a recognised part of the sitcom development process? Yes.

I hope that helps

Cheers, Declan

Quote: simon wright @ March 20 2013, 1:03 PM GMT

And before a certain poster makes his favourite cut-and-paste 'you haven't answered the question' comment; I just have.

It's a Q & A-type thread. You were asked 2 questions, but didn't answer them. So I pulled you up on it. I'd like to know why you, or anyone else, found that so unreasonable.

Quote: don rushmore @ March 20 2013, 2:16 PM GMT

It's a Q & A-type thread. You were asked 2 questions, but didn't answer them. So I pulled you up on it. I'd like to know why you, or anyone else, found that so unreasonable.

He didn't say it was unreasonable, he just said he'd answered it.

Why do you find that unreasonable?

Must go.

Cheers for the feedback to the feedback question guys.

Last question on feedback for you to give some feedback on. If I pay for the feedback before the 28th can I still submit my script on the extended deadline and receive the detailed feedback?

I never want to say feedback again. :)

Quote: simon wright @ March 19 2013, 6:53 PM GMT

We want to put the strongest material before the people who matter that we possibly can. Obviously.

Does anybody really imagine that we'd overlook a brilliant script simply because the writer hadn't paid for a critique? Or that we'd promote a weaker script?

Seriously??

I wasn't really getting at that. The text voting comment was light hearted. I meant simply that you will spend more time looking at them and pondering if you are obliged to send back some notes (didn't say f**dback).

Anyway back to work. Wave

Cheers for extending the deadline