The Sitcom Mission 2013 Page 9

Hello. Gosh, this thread has got a little passive-aggressive (generally, I'm not referring to the posts just before this one).

The Sitcom Mission is the only writing competition BCG has actively partnered with - this site has a reputation to uphold, and so I'm very careful what we do. I think the Sitcom Mission is great, and Declan and Simon really know what they're doing (an opinion backed up by various posters over the last few pages I note, not to mention the various production companies).

Everyone is welcome to ask questions of course, but Declan and Simon are busy reading scripts right now, so if you've got any further queries about the validity of the competition or whatever why not direct them at me instead and I'll happily provide an independent answer: contact@comedy.co.uk

As for the money, £40 for feedback is a bit for some people, I'm aware... but given how long it takes to write feedback, and compared to other services out there, I think it is a very fair price. You don't have to take feedback to enter, or enter at all of course.

Quote: AJGO @ March 20 2013, 7:24 PM GMT

That certainly wasn't my intention.
I know it's vulgar to go on about money so I apologise, but as someone with very little of it who is also very committed to improving their craft and developing their career, I thought it both reasonable and sensible to see if there were any links to help me better work out if what I'm aiming to improve on and achieve in my work is compatible with the sort of outlooks, tastes, and experiences that the people who I'd be paying have.
I think it's rather rude to post that you think I was pretty rude in an answer to another poster. It's probably quite rude of me to not let that pass by and post this response. What a dreadful vortex of rudeness this is.

Don made me do it.
Sorry.
Wave

Quote: Lazzard @ March 20 2013, 11:36 PM GMT

Don made me do it.
Sorry.
Wave

Likewise. :)

I think the problem lies with the tying up of the course that the guys run together with the feedback options- and the statement that those who want to pursue their careers successfully should be taking these options, And given that SImon and Dec are involved in deciding who goes through to be presented in the showcase and have a financial stake in the eventual winner.. it may be perceived as a bit 'rigged'. But I guess in this they are acting like an agent or a prod co I suppose, except that there are fees payable up front rather than at the back end. I don;t think it's outrageous to enquire into credentials at all. But everything does seem to be out there in the open - so people can make an informed choice and that is good. Good luck to all producers and entrants alike.

I find some of the comments made, over the last few pages, utterly bizarre.

Perhaps, if you really need to have someone justify their 'credentials' for being able to give useful feedback on a competition they run and decide the winners, it would be best to do that privately?

It does seem ( and this is just my own opinion ) that it is rather disrespectful and 'belittling' to ask someone to attend a 'public interview' to satisfy you that the, much lower than normal, price is worth your attention.

I didn't read the reply to it as 'unfriendly' or 'belittling' at all... in fact if I had have been in their position I'd have just told you to f**k off!

But I wasn't, so I won't. Angelic

Quote: Sinon @ March 21 2013, 3:48 PM GMT

Perhaps, if you really need to have someone justify their 'credentials' for being able to give useful feedback on a competition they run and decide the winners, it would be best to do that privately?

It does seem ( and this is just my own opinion ) that it is rather disrespectful and 'belittling' to ask someone to attend a 'public interview' to satisfy you that the, much lower than normal, price is worth your attention.

I didn't read the reply to it as 'unfriendly' or 'belittling' at all... in fact if I had have been in their position I'd have just told you to f**k off!

Someone advertises something and charges for it, you would want to know more about them?? It's hardly rocket science. Meanwhile I have a pig in a poke for you Sinon at far less than the usual price (Whatever that is) :)

Oh, and I think he did tell her to.

They have nothing to hide which is why the right response did come after.

Quote: Marc P @ March 21 2013, 4:06 PM GMT

Someone advertises something and charges for it, you would want to know more about them?? It's hardly rocket science. Meanwhile I have a pig in a poke for you Sinon at far less than the usual price (Whatever that is) :)

Oh, and I think he did tell her to.

They have nothing to hide which is why the right response did come after.

How much for just the pig? I already have a poke.

A bottle of Johnny walker blue and it's a deal :)

Quote: Marc P @ March 21 2013, 4:09 PM GMT

A bottle of Johnny walker blue and it's a deal :)

It's a deal!

Conditional, of course, on your supplying to me all information you have regarding your previous pig sales and any particular porcine qualifications you may have.

;)

Quote: Sinon @ March 21 2013, 3:48 PM GMT

May I please clarify to all concerned, as well as all whose concern it isn't, that I wasn't questioning anyone's credentials. My aim was to see if there was any further and accurate information on the sort of work done by those connected with this project to better enable me to make an informed decision about how to best focus on my next piece of work.
We have all largely if not kissed at least made up and I don't think your post is particularly helpful in getting this thread back on track Sinon. If anyone wants to direct any questions, discussions, or insults at me, maybe, as Sinon says above with what I assume is a flair for postmodern irony, it would best be done by Personal Message and we can let everyone else focus on the competition.

Quote: AJGO @ March 21 2013, 4:20 PM GMT

May I please clarify to all concerned, as well as all whose concern it isn't, that I wasn't questioning anyone's credentials. My aim was to see if there was any further and accurate information on the sort of work done by those connected with this project to better enable me to make an informed decision about how to best focus on my next piece of work.
We have all largely if not kissed at least made up and I don't think your post is particularly helpful in getting this thread back on track Sinon. If anyone wants to direct any questions, discussions, or insults at me, maybe, as Sinon says above with what I assume is a flair for postmodern irony, it would best be done by Personal Message and we can let everyone else focus on the competition.

Then... Shhh, love.

Just to throw my two cents in - I've just completed an 8 week sitcom writing course with Declan and Simon so am pretty well positioned to comment on the service they provide.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Their professional approach and brutally honest/ detailed feedback, paired with their contacts/ industry know how/ encyclopaedic knowledge of all things sitcom-related, is incredibly useful for any aspiring writers.

I've not used the paid script review service - but saw a number of feedback reports that they have produced whilst on the course. Quite frankly I was shocked at how much work they put in on these and the high level of detail they provide in return for the relatively low price of £60. This is particularly so given that you are effectively paying for two separate critiques of your work.

And finally...this Don bloke on here is a character isn't he. Strikes me as the embittered sort, the type who rubs himself slowly whilst typing derogatory/ inflammatory posts. Must have been burned at some point by the comedy industry, methinks.

You can shoeshine the comp/feedback as much as you like. I, or anyone else, can criticise it. Don't be so sensitive.

Quote: don rushmore @ March 21 2013, 4:51 PM GMT

You can shoeshine the comp/feedback as much as you like. I, or anyone else, can criticise it. Don't be so sensitive.

Totally agree.

Deadline extended to April 15th in case anyone's forgotten.