Newsjack - Series 8 Page 29

Yeah, he's certainly paying the Pryce now.

Dan

I've not really posted here, tend to lurk but thought I'd put my pennyworth in.

New host eh, will be interesting to see if that makes any difference to the selections?

I'm having a struggle this last couple of weeks. Got a couple recorded last series and zilch this one even though I thought my sketches have been better on the whole. It's a good discipline though. Is it everyone's holy grail to get invited into the meeting?

I reckon his absence is the result of an indecent act involving a Mars bar.

I am in shock!

I haven't bothered with NJ for the last 2 or 3 series having come to the conclusion that my shtick just didn't hit the target for the show. Because for series 1-5 not only did I never get anything on or even recorded, but the robot never once got back to me either.

Anyway... I sent in some Apps this week, just on the off chance for old time's sake, and FU*K me, the robot's only dropped me a line thanking me for my submission!

I see it all now, it must have been that Justin geezer and the other fella, Miles, before him, who have been putting the kibosh on my stuff up to now :). Obviously Margaret's put in a word for me and told the robot to buck its ideas up. Hurrah!

On the downside I am going to have to get a new signature.

:D

What's the take with making a mistake in the wording of a oneliner and resending the doc with it corrected and letting them know with a brief note, all before the deadline?

(please don't say I'll be blacklisted) Huh?

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 12 2013, 4:57 PM GMT

:D

What's the take with making a mistake in the wording of a oneliner and resending the doc with it corrected and letting them know with a brief note, all before the deadline?

(please don't say I'll be blacklisted) Huh?

Oh I can't see them minding if it's only once. Of course if everyone did that they'd have over a thousand emails to wade through! Good luck :)

Quote: LippyAlison @ March 12 2013, 7:57 PM GMT

Oh I can't see them minding if it's only once. Of course if everyone did that they'd have over a thousand emails to wade through! Good luck :)

I agree they try and be forgiving. But equally you can understand how when they are on their 700th email they might use any excuse to whittle down the pile!

I wouldn't worry though. If nothing else maintaining a blacklist would require additional administration ;) And they are more interested in finding funny writers. So you'll be fine.

Quote: David Salisbury @ March 12 2013, 9:26 PM GMT

But equally you can understand how when they are on their 700th email they might use any excuse to whittle down the pile!

Eek, doh, etc. ;)

And if they do start a blacklist I imagine they'll begin with the people sending in racist, sexist or downright rapey material first...

I still think getting all three of them in a single sketch under three pages is impressive, whatever they think...

Dan

Why did they have to elect a new Pope so quickly?!?
Half a page of one liners have just flown into the trashcan!
Why couldn't they wait until 6.00 tomorrow? Have they never heard of Newsjack in the Vatican?

Steered clear of all pope-y stuff for that reason, I am guessing they will knock something out in-house at the last minute, if they are going to include a reference to it. Late in the day I suppose for the recording!

Wonder what the deal is with Justin right enough...

Quote: David Salisbury @ March 13 2013, 12:51 PM GMT

And if they do start a blacklist I imagine they'll begin with the people sending in racist, sexist or downright rapey material first...

Strangely enough the word "rape" did appear in one of the sketches and generated some debate amongst the cast. The pope timing was fortuitous in the sense that they did put some material together in minutes so that the show will feel topical tomorrow!

Did anyone go? How did the whole Pope shenanigans affect everything? Did they end having to do a lot of old (large, floppy) hat stuff that will no doubt be cut for the episode tomorrow?

Quote: Winger @ March 11 2013, 5:02 PM GMT

Yes me too! Now that the deadline has passed can I ask what other topics people chose to write sketches about?

I struggled too this week, I sent in an Army cutbacks list that expanded on the news about paratroopers no longer training with parachutes, a live cut to the falklands to interview voters with references to the eastleigh sketch(I used the power of foresight to accurately predict the result) and a hack job of a piece about the Mind The Gap lady whose husband did the voice and kept listening to it, managed a syrupy sweet take on the idea; it ended up just a list of impressions.

Also I was lucky enough to be invited in eps 2 and 3 to write on the day, and heard the rumour about Margaret Cabourn Smith heading up episode 5, but I couldn't remember if I had made that up while my brain was fried or if it was actually true, twittered one of the producers who never got back to me so I just crossed my fingers it was true. Surprised they didnt announce it actually as itd help the script editors not have to alter things specifically tailored to justin; mine basically had margarets name instead of justin, I didnt really put any feminine slant on anything I wrote.