Derek - Series 1 Page 13

True.
John Cleese has acquired cult status on a deal less work.

John Cleese though is a very talented performer.

Quote: Lee @ February 11 2013, 2:18 PM GMT

John Cleese though is a very talented performer.

I actually think he's pretty one-dimensional, but what he does, he does well.

You mean SHOUTY?

Quote: Lee @ February 11 2013, 2:44 PM GMT

You mean SOUOTY?

Do I hear my name?

Quote: SimonWing @ February 11 2013, 1:54 PM GMT

When the Whistle Blows.

It wouldn't surprise me if some mock-mockumentary fake supposedly unbroadcast pilot gets made for Gold in a 'Gervais Night' tribute special.

It would be worth making it under that premise just to test whether it really had mileage. Heck, if Yes Prime Minister can be remade then why the hell not.

Quote: sootyj @ February 8 2013, 1:23 PM GMT

I'd say the US is rather ahead of the curve.

The Ringer and There's Something About Mary are great examples of people with learning disabilities playing themselves.

You do know that Warren was played by W. Earl Brown, who is not learning disabled, don't you?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0114868/bio

Or was there someone else you were referring to in There's Something About Mary?

I'd like to see Gervais working with another writer that could stretch and challenge him. Not Merchant, since he's just Ricky Gervais 2 and tends to pander to him, but someone proper. Failing that he needs a tough producer who can shoot him down and make him rework his material until it works.

If he doesn't at least start honestly appraising his own work then I fear the next thirty years will just see projects of diminishing returns and vanity broadcasting on his own websites.

The soundtrack to Derek's 50th birthday party would have blasted the residents of a real old folk's home right out the door. Have visited many relatives in such facilities (still do) and early Elvis records from the 50s are cutting edge.

I wonder if I'll end up popping my clogs to the strains of "White Riot" or "Holiday in the Sun"?

It's not Getting On is it.

Some sample dialogue:

Kev: "I wouldn't mind Joanna Lumley all over my Ghurkas"
Derek: "Absolutely Fabulous she was"

For all the faults that have already been discussed, I like the set up of people that don't have much else but are a tight unit, like something Roy Clarke would have written better and cast decent actors.

I was discussing this earlier today with a friend and we both agreed that it's okayish but nothing excellent. We did both agree that without Karl , the show would be even worse. But we also thought that Ricky does a fantastic facial impression but overall as a show I can find it quite dull in places whilst some moments can be really funny. A Mixed Bag. :|

Ok so after watching episode 2 and being a Ricky Gervais fan I have a theory on this show.

What if it's supposed to be a spoof on how corny and sentimental shows like this can be? I got the thought of this during the 10/10 girl starts crying scene as I started laughing at how silly it was.

Like I said I'm a Ricky Gervais fan and like to think he wouldn't write something as cliché as this without it being ironic.

Quote: Andicus @ February 11 2013, 5:37 PM GMT

You do know that Warren was played by W. Earl Brown, who is not learning disabled, don't you?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0114868/bio

Or was there someone else you were referring to in There's Something About Mary?

I didn't know that. He was very convincing.

How does it actually get worse?

As ever, I really like the last five to ten minutes, and find the rest fairly boring.