Status report Page 4,874

Apart from the odd tangent of conversation in the 'Who Do You Fancy?' thread, I'm really not sure what you ladies/protesters are on about, to be honest. Can we see some examples?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 16 2012, 4:37 PM GMT

Don't normally come into Status Report - but thought I'd give it a go and have just caught up on the latest complaints.

Can't see what all the fuss is about, you go to most of this forum - Sitcoms, General Comedy, Critique, Foreign Comedy, etc. and you don't see any of this stuff.

Even in General Discussion, there's only ever about two or three threads out of thousands that people use to post off colour remarks. To say it is everywhere and on every single thread is slightly hysterical, don't you think?

Replacing one herd mentality over another is one way of tackling it I suppose, but you'll always get people who don't want to play the game.

'I don't want censorship but...' is kind of the same arguments racists use before going off on one. If you want to post and read uninteresting, bland, nothingness without any controversy, there is always Facebook and Twitter.

As for comparing the BCG to other forums or creating an argument based on gender, I think that's a non sequitur. Go to the Twilight, Sherlock or some Doctor Who forums and you'll find that not only are they overwhelmingly female, but all they talk about is sex. Either wanting to shag the protagonists or wanting the protagonists to shag each other.

Perhaps if all of the BCG men looked like Russell Brand or had newspaper columns like Frankie Boyle, we would be allowed to say outrageous things without consequence, but alas, it is not possible. Or maybe we should be just like the BBC, try and tailor everything towards those who get offended the most easily. Turn this whole place into the flippin' One Show.

Whatever.

Summary: like it or lump it.

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 5:10 PM GMT

You're clearly taking this very personally (the fact that we've said repeatedly that it's only been happening for the past few weeks should maybe suggest that you don't need to) and are therefore not really listening to what's been said.

The tiny percentage of posts that we're actually objecting to are so pathetic and pointless that no one would miss them. They are really not the fascinating and important gems that you seem to think.

When are you going to realise that I think the whole world revolves around me and the fascinating posts I put on the BCG?

I guess I'm so used to being admonished, I have battered posters syndrome. But I am in agreement - if the posts are funny / witty / ironic then they should stand. But if it's just a group of guys on 'Who do you fancy?' going into detail on how much baby gravy they'd sling up some bird's nostril, then I can see the grounds for complaint.

(Now that I know it's not about me, I can join your side - whoopee!)

Quote: Badge @ November 16 2012, 5:14 PM GMT

Summary: like it or lump it.

I'm probably gonna lump it soon.

Quote: Lee @ November 16 2012, 5:13 PM GMT

Apart from the odd tangent of conversation in the 'Who Do You Fancy?' thread, I'm really not sure what you ladies/protesters are on about, to be honest. Can we see some examples?

I don't really want to 'call people out' by name. That seems a bit mean. I guess if the few people who have that way of posting see this discussion they can try to tone it down a bit.
Perhaps they hadn't realised how in your face and unpleasant it is to read.

Quote: Harridan @ November 16 2012, 9:29 AM GMT

Seems like we need some kind of support group forum in the event of BCG going down for more than an hour!

Quote: Harridan @ November 16 2012, 9:34 AM GMT

Perhaps there is a British Drama Guide that can become the refuge for dislocated BCGers

You are all welcome come and chat on my own support forum. If you can get past the Turing test for registration. :O

http://www.datahighways.net/support/

Use the Dragon Nest area for chit-chat.

But anyway, I expect that with this new super duper server, the BCG won't be going offline for another few years now.

Cool

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 5:18 PM GMT

I don't really want to 'call people out' by name. That seems a bit mean. I guess if the few people who have that way of posting see this discussion they can try to tone it down a bit.
Perhaps they hadn't realised how in your face and unpleasant it is to read.

As a moderator I really wouldn't suggest we do such a thing. But I'm still unsure as to what tone of language the objection is for? And why it has only recently become a problem?

Shall I just assume because of his recent return to the forums R.C is to blame?

Anyways, back to status report boredom - have to get ready to go down pub. Enjoy your 'Children In Need' night of telly hell suckas.

Wave

The canary in the coal mine is vital to free speech. That someone always pushes the outer limits they get slapped down and then we really know we're in trouble.
Valuable as purported canary is, do we really need an enormous scrofulous parrot in our coalmine?
"Squwak! liberals! Squwark! cats! squwark! sodomy!" It leaves one wishing for a big methane bubble.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 16 2012, 5:25 PM GMT

Anyways, back to status report boredom - have to get ready to go down pub. Enjoy your 'Children In Need' night of telly hell suckas.

Wave

*keeps an eye out for an R.C shaped man in a bath of beans*

very very active

Quote: JokePit @ November 16 2012, 5:51 PM GMT

very very active

A trampoline?

Is this a quiz?

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

Gosh, and I was so expecting Renegade to understand our point and sympathise.

I am just shocked to the core...

Laughing out loud

Quote: billwill @ November 16 2012, 5:22 PM GMT

You are all welcome come and chat on my own support forum. If you can get past the Turing test for registration. :O

http://www.datahighways.net/support/

Use the Dragon Nest area for chit-chat.

Cool

SPAM

Well I'm surprised that Children In Need turned into naked female wrestling, good sports. I would'a taped it for Renegade but he probably wouldn't be interested in that sorta thing... Errr

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 16 2012, 10:42 PM GMT

And I'm top of the page again !

We'll see about that. Whistling nnocently