Status report Page 4,873

Quote: AJGO @ November 16 2012, 2:21 PM GMT

It really has. I've been posting less and less cos it's just tiring seeing posts about on every blimmin thread, every blimmin day.

Women not liking feeling like they've stumbled into a rapey lair whenever they want to read about comedy or catch up with their online mates isn't really 'voices in the wilderness', especially when you, as a man, post this:

Boys may be boys, but none of the women, or men, on here mind banter, or a joke even if it's crude, but this creeping normalisation is getting a bit uncomfortably Zimbardo-esque. If the boys being boys wouldn't make these comments in the pub in a group of mixed gender friends- and I think the majority on here would be (and are, in my experience) a bit more circumspect and well-mannered- then they should ask themselves if what they're about to post is funny, relevant, or necessary enough to risk making themselves look genuinely dodgy.

Damnit, now I've also said cum.

Lots of posts are funny, or if not to someone's liking at least viewable as intended to be self-mocking or purposefully juvenile. No-one wants to see anyone censored, or feeling they can't write what they like. Just a bit of remembering that other people can actually see what you've (general 'you', not sooty 'you') written would be nice.

:D

A fiver says Shandy genuinely licked her phone, just to see.

The points you make are fair, but as I said if you are appealing to their better judgement it may not work. Sooty is right, post more and change the tone. By the way I was in no way condoning that kind of post, just saying I don't see how you can stop it without censorship.

I've just been accosted by two young Americans in the street. I think they were mormons, but they seemed to think I'd jump at the chance of having somebody laying their hands on my head. And then, when I was walking away after saying no thanks, one shouted after me incredulously, "You don't want to be with your family in the afterlife?"

Still, I admire their moxy.

Quote: Pingl @ November 16 2012, 2:44 PM GMT

I don't see how you can stop it without censorship.

Pretty soon anything we post online will be deemed as published material so we're all going to get sued/banged up anyway.
Angry

I agree in principal about posting what one wants to discuss, but it's ever so wearisome seeing the same salacious shit over and over again.
There's no real need to put ourselves through it, and us having to either put up with it or feel like whinging humourless nags isn't a great incitement. I've been posting here for a while now, and my comment isn't about censoring anything of that tone or theme, but about how there seems to have been an insidious creeping in of what a surprising amount of posters find acceptable, presumably because of the normalisation of it. I'm not the internet police, no-one has to change what they write to suit me, but if people want this site to be a pointless mutual fanfiction wankfest, fair enough, but if not that's what'll happen if some members make it so spectacularly unwelcoming for women and for men with a bit more class than has been exhibited here recently.

Quote: AJGO @ November 16 2012, 3:00 PM GMT

I agree in principal about posting what one wants to discuss, but it's ever so wearisome seeing the same salacious shit over and over again.
There's no real need to put ourselves through it, and us having to either put up with it or feel like whinging humourless nags isn't a great inticement. I've been posting here for a while now, and my comment isn't about censoring anything of that tone or theme, but about how there seems to have been an insidious creeping in of what a surprising amount of posters find acceptable, presumably because of the normalisation of it. I'm not the internet police, no-one has to change what they write to suit me, but if people want this site to be a pointless mutual fanfiction wankfest, fair enough, but if not that's what'll happen if some members make it so spectacularly unwelcoming for women and for men with a bit more class than has been exhibited here recently.

Agreed, but I think if you as a women told them that directly after the post it might have a positive reaction. Most people on this site come on because they like a laugh and are interested in comedy. I tend to steer clear of any threads I don't like the look of, or would be uncomfortable to read.

Quote: Pingl @ November 16 2012, 3:03 PM GMT

Agreed, but I think if you as a women told them that directly after the post it might have a positive reaction.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Pingl @ November 16 2012, 3:03 PM GMT

I tend to steer clear of any threads I don't like the look of, or would be uncomfortable to read.

It turns up in any and every thread. If people kept it to threads named 'disgusting sex rants' I'd happily avoid them. ;)

Quote: Harridan @ November 16 2012, 3:04 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

No, Oh well I am a bit of an old fart, life moves to quickly for me to keep up, so I just amble along. :(

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 3:05 PM GMT

It turns up in any and every thread. If people kept it to threads named 'disgusting sex rants' I'd happily avoid them. ;)

I'm not starting that thread even to help out :O

It's funny actually my wife loves dirty jokes, they just make me cringe, all to do with my repressed Catholic upbringing I guess. She says I'm a prude, I can take carry on stuff etc, if it gets too graphic I just get embarrassed, should know better at my age.

Don't normally come into Status Report - but thought I'd give it a go and have just caught up on the latest complaints.

Can't see what all the fuss is about, you go to most of this forum - Sitcoms, General Comedy, Critique, Foreign Comedy, etc. and you don't see any of this stuff.

Even in General Discussion, there's only ever about two or three threads out of thousands that people use to post off colour remarks. To say it is everywhere and on every single thread is slightly hysterical, don't you think?

Replacing one herd mentality over another is one way of tackling it I suppose, but you'll always get people who don't want to play the game.

'I don't want censorship but...' is kind of the same arguments racists use before going off on one. If you want to post and read uninteresting, bland, nothingness without any controversy, there is always Facebook and Twitter.

As for comparing the BCG to other forums or creating an argument based on gender, I think that's a non sequitur. Go to the Twilight, Sherlock or some Doctor Who forums and you'll find that not only are they overwhelmingly female, but all they talk about is sex. Either wanting to shag the protagonists or wanting the protagonists to shag each other.

Perhaps if all of the BCG men looked like Russell Brand or had newspaper columns like Frankie Boyle, we would be allowed to say outrageous things without consequence, but alas, it is not possible. Or maybe we should be just like the BBC, try and tailor everything towards those who get offended the most easily. Turn this whole place into the flippin' One Show.

Whatever.

Gosh, and I was so expecting Renegade to understand our point and sympathise.

I am just shocked to the core...

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

Gosh, and I was so expecting Renegade to understand our point and sympathise.

I am just shocked to the core...

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

(And I'm glad new female members aren't joining, as it would just mean more chicks telling me to shut up ;) :P )

True!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 16 2012, 4:37 PM GMT

Don't normally come into Status Report - but thought I'd give it a go and have just caught up on the latest complaints.

Can't see what all the fuss is about, you go to most of this forum - Sitcoms, General Comedy, Critique, Foreign Comedy, etc. and you don't see any of this stuff.

Even in General Discussion, there's only ever about two or three threads out of thousands that people use to post off colour remarks. To say it is everywhere and on every single thread is slightly hysterical, don't you think?

Replacing one herd mentality over another is one way of tackling it I suppose, but you'll always get people who don't want to play the game.

'I don't want censorship but...' is kind of the same arguments racists use before going off on one. If you want to post and read uninteresting, bland, nothingness without any controversy, there is always Facebook and Twitter.

As for comparing the BCG to other forums or creating an argument based on gender, I think that's a non sequitur. Go to the Twilight, Sherlock or some Doctor Who forums and you'll find that not only are they overwhelmingly female, but all they talk about is sex. Either wanting to shag the protagonists or wanting the protagonists to shag each other.

Perhaps if all of the BCG men looked like Russell Brand or had newspaper columns like Frankie Boyle, we would be allowed to say outrageous things without consequence, but alas, it is not possible. Or maybe we should be just like the BBC, try and tailor everything towards those who get offended the most easily. Turn this whole place into the flippin' One Show.

Whatever.

What astonishing timing for you to happen to come onto a thread you never venture onto. You must have a psychic sense for sexism debates.

We are of course hysterical, and not merely stating our views. We should have our wombs confiscated, and that includes all the men who've agreed. Decorum and consideration are societal structures and regardless of whether you think our culture would be improved by people not adhering to the mores we use to interact with one another, they still exist.

It's herd mentality we're pointing out so are clearly not asking for another. People sharing an observation does not equal a mob. You'll see that I repeatedly said I'm not in favour of censorship- oh, yes, you did, so you could compare me to a racist. I think I'll stop bothering with this response now.

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 4:57 PM GMT

True!

Here's a good strategy for ya zooo, tell the male members of the BCG that if they got rid of me, then thousands of good looking women would join the forum. I'd end up in the bottom of the river in no time.

And even though most of the guys on this forum are married / in long term relationships, I'm sure their interests would be wholly platonic and they'd welcome this influx of the fairer sex with open arms, But only because they believe in supporting a woman's right go on about cats and shoes and stuff without really saying anything.

If we all pulled together, we could make this place the incredibly boring paradise we all dream of.

You seem to be taking this very personally (the fact that we've said repeatedly that it's only been happening for the past few weeks should maybe suggest that you don't need to) and are therefore not really listening to what's been said.

The tiny percentage of posts that we're actually objecting to are so pathetic and pointless that no one would miss them. They are really not the fascinating and important gems that you seem to think.