Status report Page 4,872

I've just asked a geopolitics PhD and she doesn't have a clue either. I think the person writing my uni course materials used to write cryptic crosswords for a living. My course is trying to explain one theory by referencing another one without explanation or a clue as to where to find one.

Quote: Harridan @ November 16 2012, 11:40 AM GMT

**Subject Change**

This is a long shot, but does anyone happen to know what the anthropological terms 'thick' and 'thin' cultures mean? Google just keeps giving me waffle. Any anthropologists in the room?

I'm sure it's not, you seem lovely :)

Ok to put it very crudely it's the theories of clifford gurtz,

basically a culture can be viewed

as "thick" where it has so much detail in it's cultural language, to interperate an action one has a thick body of subtle meanings to be worked through.
For example a wink; can mean anything from a chat up, to sarcasm to both.

"Thin cultures2 have simpler more easily abstracted languages.

Does that help?

Does it not mean thick and thin population?

Quote: sootyj @ November 16 2012, 11:55 AM GMT

Ok to put it very crudely it's the theories of clifford gurtz,

basically a culture can be viewed

as "thick" where it has so much detail in it's cultural language, to interperate an action one has a thick body of subtle meanings to be worked through.
For example a wink; can mean anything from a chat up, to sarcasm to both.

"Thin cultures2 have simpler more easily abstracted languages.

Does that help?

Lovely, thanks! Not just a pretty question mark!

Perhaps one of the more confusing elements is Gurtz like Freud and Jung isn't really a scientist. Anthropology and psychology and certainly psycoannalysis are "presciences." That is the research is there, methodology is there, but the solid scientific laws in say physics haven't really been developed. So thick and thin really exist as his way of saying,
"we Americans are complex and thick, but Aborigines are simple minded and thin because they have less references to work through."

Quote: Harridan @ November 16 2012, 11:59 AM GMT

Lovely, thanks! Not just a pretty question mark!

Great can I make a purile joke now?

Tis part of my thick culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_Geertz#Geertzian_theory

the Wiki entry for once is rather good.

My brain is not in any state for this kind of intellectual bollocks today. What kind of sadist starts an essay like this?

"The Hermeneutic Motion, the act of elicitation and appropriative transfer of meaning, is fourfold. There is initiative trust, an investment of belief,underwritten by previous experience but epistemologically exposed and psychologically hazardous, in the meaningfulness, in the 'seriousness' of the facing or, strictly speaking, adverse text."

I want to hide under my desk and cry!

I long ago believed any subject you can't explain to a simpleton in 5 minutes you don't really understand yurself

Not sure if sooty just called me a simpleton. I'm so stupid today.

I'm going to go and watch CBeebies for an hour and learn about shapes.

No just a hatred of he word hermeneutics

Quote: sootyj @ November 16 2012, 11:29 AM GMT

Really? The BCG is a big soft lump of potters clay; grasp it with both hands and force it into the shape you want it to be. Most people here are pretty apathetic and will go along with what ever anyone does enthusiastically.

I always like the soft touch approach Aaron et al take. The future of BCG is in your hand; so seize that nettle and split that infinitive!

What a great description Soot.

Quote: sootyj @ November 16 2012, 11:29 AM GMT

Really? The BCG is a big soft lump of potters clay; grasp it with both hands and force it into the shape you want it to be. Most people here are pretty apathetic and will go along with what ever anyone does enthusiastically.

I always like the soft touch approach Aaron et al take. The future of BCG is in your hand; so seize that nettle and split that infinitive!

Does that mean its all gone to pot.

Have finally traded in my five year old mobile and have been upgraded to a Blackberry, very nice it is too, though it tastes nothing like a hedgerow fruit.

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 10:42 AM GMT

It has changed for the worse that way recently. Maybe some of you haven't noticed, but it has.

It really has. I've been posting less and less cos it's just tiring seeing posts about

Quote: zooo @ November 16 2012, 11:01 AM GMT

violent sex fantasies and stories about spunking over everything in sight

on every blimmin thread, every blimmin day.

Quote: Pingl @ November 16 2012, 10:57 AM GMT

Fair comment, but I think your a voice in the wilderness I'm afraid. We fought against this kind of thing in the eighties, but I'm afraid its a hopeless cause, boys will be boys, and if anything I'd say it is now worse than it was in the eighties on every level.

Women not liking feeling like they've stumbled into a rapey lair whenever they want to read about comedy or catch up with their online mates isn't really 'voices in the wilderness', especially when you, as a man, post this:

Quote: Pingl @ November 16 2012, 11:02 AM GMT

I have to agree, as a man I find some of the comments expressed a little umm...troubling at times.

Boys may be boys, but none of the women, or men, on here mind banter, or a joke even if it's crude, but this creeping normalisation is getting a bit uncomfortably Zimbardo-esque. If the boys being boys wouldn't make these comments in the pub in a group of mixed gender friends- and I think the majority on here would be (and are, in my experience) a bit more circumspect and well-mannered- then they should ask themselves if what they're about to post is funny, relevant, or necessary enough to risk making themselves look genuinely dodgy.

Damnit, now I've also said cum.

Quote: sootyj @ November 16 2012, 11:16 AM GMT

All forums have their own character and personality a conglomeration of the voices singing in it's collective choir.

This will often reflect the conglomerate voices of those involved and their interests. So for example I can't stand Chortle as it reflects for me all to much "angry comedy," or for that matter "penny arcade" which focuses on a dreary form of intellectual comedy.

BCG is juvenile, purile comedy. That stretches back to Cahucer's bums out of windows and chickens discussing laxatives. It is that it is and in many ways it is Jeremy Clarkson The eternally repressed and immature school boy.

I dunno amuses me during a dull day at work

Lots of posts are funny, or if not to someone's liking at least viewable as intended to be self-mocking or purposefully juvenile. No-one wants to see anyone censored, or feeling they can't write what they like. Just a bit of remembering that other people can actually see what you've (general 'you', not sooty 'you') written would be nice.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 16 2012, 11:53 AM GMT

IS PROBERBLY DICKS AND THAT INNIT! LOLZ!!!!1!!!
Laughing out loud

:D

Quote: Shandonbelle @ November 16 2012, 1:04 PM GMT

Have finally traded in my five year old mobile and have been upgraded to a Blackberry, very nice it is too, though it tastes nothing like a hedgerow fruit.

A fiver says Shandy genuinely licked her phone, just to see.

:D I never...though no idea why some of the digits have faded already.

All I can suggest is post more.

I mean check out how one super awesome poster resurrected d critique. Get stuck in and others will follow. Don't ask other ochnage be the change.

But yeh some of the sexualised stuff is a bit yeuch. Guys yo r mums might be online.