Cuckoo - Series 1 Page 2

As a first episode, and very much a setting everything up episode, I enjoyed it; made me laugh and want to watch more, so job done. If anything I thought Samberg's character could have been crazier, but then maybe that would be too cartoonish. Some of the swearing seemed to stick out a bit, maybe I'm just getting old. :(

Looking forward to seeing more.

Oh, and that Outnumbered guy seems to have slimmed down a lot. Not that he was fat in the first place.

It's just a case of different perspectives and subjectivity but for me it was lame, its plot was old and its dialogue was unrealistic.
Cuckoo is almost the opposite of Donald Sutherland's character 'Oddball' in that he was a hippy twenty years before hippies; that I can live with, but the other way round it falls flat on its face for me.
That said if people like it then it works!

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 26 2012, 3:37 PM BST

Which version?

I first saw We Are Klang at the Fringe festival some years ago which made me laugh for weeks afterwards.

The We Are Klang that was on the BBC was much the same as what they put across at the Fringe and if memory serves me correctly, they did a pilot for the BBC for a new show but I don't think it ever got made as a full series.

Greg Davies, Steve Hall and Marek Larwood are three of the funniest people to see live, the improvised story telling with food is the best for me.

Greg Davies seems to have progressed within the comedy circuit and my oldest daughter tells me that Steve Hall is in a kids' programme called Sorry, I've Got No Head. Not sure about Marek Larwood.

They won a ream of awards for "Klangbang" as well, I think.

I liked it. Had me laughing in places. It had a few telegraphed jokes and plot points.

It was so obvious that Cuckoo wasn't going to use the money to leave. They painfully made the Dad not just say "take the money and leave the country" so it was a bit too obvious but otherwise, for an opening episode, it has some promise.

Just hope Cuckoo and the daughter don't get too annoying as the series goes on.

I thought it was OK, it showed glimpses of promise but nothing more than that.

Found it a bit boring.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 26 2012, 7:27 PM BST

But is that enough? The writers have been given the chance we all crave and this is what they finished up with.
Imagine the polishing angst and hours you would spend if you knew that your script was commissioned and was being filmed.
I'm positive you wouldn't have settled for a few laughs!

Can't comment on the show, but this message caught my eye.

The number of times I've watched something and thought "did the makers of this not watch it afterwards and think it was shite?", or "how did this script impress all the people required to be impressed for production to take place?".

For every 'Thick of It' or 'Peep Show', there must be three or four 'comedies' where I just can't imagine under what circumstances they were green-lighted and made.

Finally got around to watch this. It was okay episode. Nicely setting up for future episodes and mayhem.

Jesus, this was a laugh free extravaganza of shite. Top cast but painfully unfunny writing and extremely dull characters. Someone has taken a crappy idea for a rom-com and decided to make an entire series out of it.

As usual for a BBC Three show, they tried to make up for the lack of quality gags by blatantly swearing at every given opportunity. Poor, really, really poor.

What are you going on about? I noticed no swearing at all! Are giving a comment just for the sake of it? We expected as much..

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 1 2012, 6:13 PM BST

What are you going on about? I noticed no swearing at all! Are giving a comment just for the sake of it? We expected as much..

They said 'f**k' like four times in the family dinner scene alone. And no, I'm not giving a comment for the sake of it, I'm explaining why I found Cuckoo a mirthless pile of f**king wank. (see how the swearing is contagious) ;)

They definitely swore.

It is watchable. I shall tune in for the second episode.

I really liked the cast, and thought it was great. One best things to come out BBC Three in a while.

I thought it was good - it's essentially Greg Davies being Greg Davies, but if you like that then you'll like the show.