Cuckoo - Series 1 Page 3

That's that then, it's an awful/great/average show with too much/absolutely no swearing. I for one can't/can wait!

Quote: SimonWing @ September 28 2012, 2:31 AM BST

Can't comment on the show, but this message caught my eye.

The number of times I've watched something and thought "did the makers of this not watch it afterwards and think it was shite?", or "how did this script impress all the people required to be impressed for production to take place?".

For every 'Thick of It' or 'Peep Show', there must be three or four 'comedies' where I just can't imagine under what circumstances they were green-lighted and made.

I think there are probably a LOT of times when the makers do indeed watch their finished show and think "this is a bit shite"... but that's not to say the project was always going to turn out that way.

Plenty of comedies read brilliantly on the page. But then the casting has to be near-perfect, the direction spot-on, the editor skilled at cutting for pace and comic timing... and all on budgets approximately six times smaller, minute-for-minute, than their equivalent American shows. Even with a whole host of talent in front and behind the camera, sometimes good scripts turn into bad shows. Sometimes REALLY bad shows. But once shows are in production there's little that can be done to fix them, and they'll air even if they're weak.

You raise Peep Show as an example of a rare, good show. What's also unusual about that show is that they made not one but two pilots. Clearly the broadcaster felt it had promise but also problems. They (wisely) stepped back and spent the money required to fix its problems before a full series was commissioned, and a strong first season was the result. Had they not done this, the first six episodes could have followed a flawed template and been much weaker for it.

I quite enjoyed Cuckoo but wonder whether the premise will still drive the show forwards by episode five. Will wait and see...

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ October 2 2012, 9:04 AM BST

I thought it was good - it's essentially Greg Davies being Greg Davies, but if you like that then you'll like the show.

I like Greg Davies being Greg Davies. I did not like Cuckoo.

Quote: Aaron @ October 2 2012, 1:34 PM BST

I like Greg Davies being Greg Davies. I did not like Cuckoo.

I didn't mind the cast, even though I fancied the Mum way more than the daughter - which is just wrong. Andy Samberg is really talented but miscast in this I feel. Watching his character, it soon became apparent (ie. something I made up in my brain) that the writer was imagining Russell Brand in the lead role.

But he's earning squillions in Hollywood being shit in shit films, so they had to go for a 'star' name.

Oh and what is the purpose of the daughter character?

Quote: David Bussell @ October 2 2012, 10:12 AM BST

That's that then, it's an awful/great/average show with too much/absolutely no swearing. I for one can't/can wait!

Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 2 2012, 1:43 PM BST

To have an annoying boyfriend...

Quote: zooo @ October 2 2012, 1:45 PM BST

To have an annoying boyfriend...

Facially, she reminds me a bit of a younger Jen in the IT Crowd - perhaps they could cast them in a wacky mother / daughter comedy, where they compete to marry the same man or are rival weather girls or some other type of hilarious bollox.

:|

Well, without her they'd just have some guy forcibly living in their home and refusing to leave.

But he's earning squillions in Hollywood being shit in shit films, so they had to go for a 'star' name.

Hot Rod is aces, though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2012, 1:56 PM BST

Well, without her they'd just have some guy forcibly living in their home and refusing to leave.

That said, it's time someone wrote the great home invasion sitcom.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2012, 1:56 PM BST

Hot Rod is aces, though.

I found it too self consciously 'quirky'. It had some great moments, but ultimately it tried too hard to be a Napoleon Dynamite / Little Miss Sunshine, which were uncynically 'quirky'.

Lovejoy was great as his Dad though.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 2 2012, 2:00 PM BST

I found it too self consciously 'quirky'. It had some great moments, but ultimately it tried too hard to be a Napoleon Dynamite / Little Miss Sunshine, which were uncynically 'quirky'.

Lovejoy was great as his Dad though.

Little Miss Sunshine?

Anyway, loved it; such a silly film.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 2 2012, 1:56 PM BST

That said, it's time someone wrote the great home invasion sitcom.

Rape Thy Neighbour?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 2 2012, 2:01 PM BST

Little Miss Sunshine?

Just the second 'quirky' film that came to mind, I'm not saying they are structually equivalent. There was also that Danny McBride karate movie, but I forgot the name of it because it was shit.

I don't like the fact that he's actually called Cuckoo. We get it, call the series Cuckoo and leave it at that.

There have been a few laughs, but it annoys me in other ways.

Strange - after the van reveal last week I expected a much more potato-based episode this week.

Still not much fun for me, probably because I really hate the title character. If Greg doesn't at least punch him next week I'm not going to watch any more.

Quote: Frantically @ October 2 2012, 10:32 PM BST

Strange - after the van reveal last week I expected a much more potato-based episode this week.

Still not much fun for me, probably because I really hate the title character. If Greg doesn't at least punch him next week I'm not going to watch any more.

Totally agree. I laughed more last week but because I think I was giving it a go. The absolutely, laugh-out-loud bit this week was the crazy blonde friend who said, ' I used to be the pretty one!' and then insisted she and partner were discussing marriage and he simply disagreed. That character I thought, was great and wanted to see more of the two of them.

Some dead obvious bits like him entering the bedroom without knocking and being nude leading to the 'who's got the biggest one' joke . . Hmm? I also think that Greg's character should have been angrier by now, maybe it's just me? Maybe that's where it's all heading? I also liked the cue ball wife who seemingly insisted that it wouldn't last but for me, if someone had walked in the study and seen Greg and friends daughter a bit too close, that would have set up the camera joke better.

Sticking with it tho as my girlfriends seems to LOVE it!! I guess we will always be more critical tho when we are trying to create our own!

BTW, I only have one girlfriend and not some sort of Harem! :D

I didn't mind the cast, even though I fancied the Mum way more than the daughter - which is just wrong.

Helen Baxendale is hot, nothing wrong there.